Freezes when opening 1Password on a HP desktop

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Windows 10 crashing from 1password.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem, except I am on an HP Desktop. There are no newer BIOS or drivers available. I can install 1Password, but then every 2nd or 3rd time I open it, it completely freezes my Windows 10 Enterprise PC. No event log message, no BSOD, just freezes. I have reinstalled a bunch of times, and even replaced the SSD drive thinking it might be vaguely related (I work in IT, so have a lot of spares lying around). Any clues? :(

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @andy_w,

I've split your post from the other thread because what you're describing is not the same problem or maybe you didn't include more information. The other thread is referring to getting blue screen of deaths with the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error.

System freeze isn't the same thing as the blue screen of death system crash.

Does the system unfreeze after a while or do you have to hard-reset the PC to regain control of it?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

It stays frozen - I have to power off and on to get it back up. Then, a few seconds after I have logged in to Windows, 50% of the time it will freeze as soon as the 1Password icon appears in the system tray, before I've had a chance to do anything else, and I will have to reboot a few times until I can uninstall 1Password again. I had hoped that the latest version released a few days ago would resolve the issue, but no luck!

I have it working fine on my laptop at home, which is also HP, with Windows 10 Enterprise.

Thanks,

Andy

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @andy_w,

That reminds me of a separate issue, where a certain mouse/keyboard combination may have a bad interaction with our mouse hooks that we use to monitor the system activity for the auto-lock system. This tends to happen with our app updater that pops up when you boot up the PC, so it sounds almost the same as what you're describing.

Can you tell me if you use Logitech/Microsoft mice or keyboard? If not, do you have a certain software you use for your mouse and keyboard?

To confirm this issue, try this:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Updates. Uncheck the box next to Automatically check for updates.
    2. Reboot your computers or log out and log back in a few times to see if you can reproduce the issue.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

I do have a Logitech keyboard, and a Microsoft mouse. I don't have the software installed for either of them - I'm just using the default Windows drivers.

Would installing the drivers get round this as well? I can try unchecking the auto-update functionality, but I am at home tomorrow, using my office PC via VPN/RDP, so I don't want to blow it up while I'm not there.

Thanks,

Andy

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @andy_w,

No, the default Windows drivers shouldn't be causing this issue, it was the non-Windows-default drivers and/or the vendor software that was causing the issue. It is possible this issue may not be related as well.

Also, do you notice this issue via RDP/VPN only or it happens without the remote software as well? We've seen weird glitches reported in the past via RDP that's not reproducible in normal conditions.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

That's disappointing! The issue occurs all the time locally, while logged in normally. I have observed it happening while I'm accessing the PC remotely too, in which case I have to get a colleague to reboot the machine for me. Today, when I installed the new version (after re-installing Windows freshly) it happened within about 30 seconds :(

Thanks,

Andy

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @andy_w,

Did it start freezing as soon as you open the program and don't do anything else like unlocking?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Yes, the freeze happens when I double-click the icon in the system tray. I have not at that point managed to get to the unlock part. Sometimes it will work fine, but when Windows freezes, it's always when I've gone to open it by double-clicking. It has also (I believe) happened a couple of times when trying to use the browser plugin, when the browser plugin tries to bring up 1Password to prompt for an unlock.

Also, as mentioned previously, it freezes Windows on bootup 50%+ of the time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andy_w: I'm sorry you're having this freezing issue! That's sounds pretty maddening... :dizzy:

As I mentioned in the other discussion, individual apps simply don't have the access to bring down the entire OS, so there's likely something else at the root of this. I've had similar issues caused by bad RAM, buggy device drivers, and OS corruption (likely due to a hard drive problem), so those are things I'd be looking at in your situation.

But first and foremost, the best thing to do will be to restart, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report (if you're able) and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to try to determine what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs.

Then try booting into Safe Mode. That should work, and it will also prevent almost everything from loading. Then I'd say disable 1Password loading on startup using Task Manager (though this is done using msconfig in earlier versions of Windows). If it's even remotely related (writing to a bad memory address or disk location), that should at least get you into Windows normally to investigate further. It's entirely possible that simply installing a fresh copy of the app will alleviate this (though it may be prudent to investigate the other things in addition), and of course you'll need to avoid the freezes long enough to do so. Hopefully this will provide some clues that will bring us closer to some answers!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty

Thanks for all the suggestions. As mentioned, I have actually already replaced the hard drive, and reinstalled the entire OS from fresh more than once - the freeze happens within minutes of installing 1Password. Removing 1Password leaves my PC working completely fine, running many intensive programs (I work in IT). Installing it again (as I did after I saw there had a been a new update) sent my PC into a freeze within moments.

One thing I haven't tried that you've suggested has been testing the RAM, although why 1Password in particular would hit some spot of bad RAM when none of my other programs do is beyond me. I am back in the same physical office as my problem PC on Monday, and will run the tests then, to see if I can generate any diagnostic reports. However, the whole system freezes to the degree that I don't even get any event log messages or BSODs, so I'm not holding out much hope that 1Password logging will manage to catch anything. However, stranger things have happened!

Thanks for your help so far,

Andy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andy_w: I'm only sorry that we don't yet seem any closer to solving this mystery, but I look forward to hearing back from you!

This discussion has been closed.