My 1Password has been compromised and cancelled by you...I stupidly gave my social security no to

Options
Merle
Merle
Community Member

someone when searching for information. Thank you for shutting it down but what do I do now? Merle Bauser

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.3
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: kb-search:Contact 1paassword, kb-search:1Password fraud, kb:forgot-master-password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Merle,

I think we're going to need a bit more background to whatever has happened.

Prior to the introduction of 1Password Families you would purchase 1Password which entitled you to a licence to run 1Password. Your vaults were stored locally and we never had access to them, not even the encrypted file they were stored in. A customer could ask us for a refund and that would result in us disabling the licence but only after a full refund had been requested and issued. We would never arbitrarily disable a valid licence. Even if this was done it would never result in the loss of your vault, it's stored locally and if 1Password's trial has expired with no valid licence applied the vault enters a read-only mode - you always have to have access to your vault.

1Password Families does involve a subscription that eventually could be cancelled by the customer but at the moment 1Password Families is free and deletion of an account is not easy because we have to be very careful of social engineering.

I write all of this because I'm unsure what has happened in your case but whatever it is you should still have access to your vault. 1Password could never survive if we ever acted like total a-holes when it came to people's data, that's why even if you decide not to purchase 1Password after the trial has expired we don't cut off access to the vault. That's no better than hold your data hostage and we don't do that. Yes we don't allow people to add more items to a read-only vault but that doesn't seem overly harsh in the circumstances.

We'll wait to hear back from you and with a little luck something in the events can help us understand the issue.

• Merle
    Merle
    Community Member
    Options

when I sign in to 1password on my iphone, I get "no account could be found with email/user name." However, I am now getting it on my imac. and my ipad. Earlier, when I wrote, I could not pull it up anywhere. I thought you had made it inaccessible when an unauthorized person tried to access it and I thought that was great. Also, what is the latest update? I thought I had it. I do see my golden license in my trash but I have no idea why.

• Merle
    Merle
    Community Member
    Options

Wow....its now ok on phone. But please answer re update and my golden license in trash. This has been crazy.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Merle,

I still can't explain the message you're seeing I'm afraid, I just don't have enough context to work with.

Can I ask, do you just make use of personal vaults, vaults you created from inside 1Password and that are only stored on your computer or in Dropbox (if you explicitly told 1Password to do so) or have you maybe joined up to see if you like 1Password Families or 1Password for Teams? both are server based so there is the need to log into your account but these are not required to use 1Password, it's merely a different way which may or may not be useful depending on your situation.

I even went as far as doing a search over all the strings we localise so we can translate to other languages and sadly so far I can't find a message that contains the phrase "no account" which only continues the puzzlement. Given you're not seeing the error message any more we can't even ask for a screenshot in the hope that it helps identify the culprit. I would wonder if it was related to syncing but on your Mac any issue with something like Dropbox would result in an error message from Dropbox, not the 1Password application.

As for any item being in the Trash. I'm not aware of a bug that would move any item there without user consent. With an item selected the backspace key by itself would cause 1Password to ask if you want to move an item to the Trash while the combination of cmd and backspace deletes without confirmation. Is it possible at all this could have happened?

As for versions, I can at least be a bit more confident here. We're up to version 6.1 for 1Password for Mac and version 6.3.1 for 1Password for iOS was released just yesterday or today and should be visible in the App Store app on your iOS devices now.

I realise we're no closer yet as to what happened and I do hope we can make sense of it, I just don't know this error message. I'll ask tomorrow once the developers are back.

This discussion has been closed.