TestFlight has beta Unavailable? [normal behavior while a newer stable version is available]

Options
jpayne
jpayne
Community Member
edited March 2016 in iOS

I received the email for Thursday's update, but didn't get around to installing until today... Open TestFlight and it has 1password in the "unavailable" section. Did this version get pulled?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jpayne,

The 6.2.1 release of 1Password for iOS is now showing up for me in App Store and, like you, as Unavailable in TestFlight. If you also see the 1Password icon, text, and an OPEN button for it in TestFlight tap the icon and check which version it is. If 6.2.1 (621003) you've got the latest beta build, which is virtually identical to the App Store release of 6.2.1, so it would be fine to leave things as-is and simply wait for the next beta to appear unless you want to discontinue using the beta build. If you've got an older-than-6.2.1 beta build you could install 6.2.1 from App Store, overwriting the beta, then return to beta after the next one appears in TestFlight.

I hope that helps. :)

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect, thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jpayne,

It looks like the information I gave you yesterday was less than perfect …

Instead of checking the version number of 1Password within the TestFlight app, open the 1Password app and select Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics to check which specific version/build you have installed. Then the rest of my reply is still applicable:

If 6.2.1 (621003) you've got the latest beta build, which is virtually identical to the App Store release of 6.2.1, so it would be fine to leave things as-is and simply wait for the next beta to appear unless you want to discontinue using the beta build. If you've got an older-than-6.2.1 beta build you could install 6.2.1 from App Store, overwriting the beta, then return to beta after the next one appears in TestFlight.

My hunch is that if you're seeing Unavailable in TestFlight, but there's an OPEN button there, it's because a beta build earlier than 6.2.1 (621003) is installed. With the 6.2.1 (621003) beta build installed TestFlight would be instead be displaying Testing, still with an OPEN button. And with 6.2.1 (621003) stable installed, TestFlight would display Unavailable with a disabled UNAVAILABLE button.

Obvious in hindsight, confirming the version of 1Password within the app itself is the most reliable method. Sorry for my mistake about that! ;)

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member
    Options

I do have 1Password beta installed on my iPhone, but when trying to install it to my iPad, it says just "unavailable" in Testflight. Is this on purpose or should I do something to get it available? :) Thanks for the reply!

1Password Version: not applicable
    Extension Version: not applicable
    OS Version: iOS 9.3 public beta 6
    Sync Type: not applicable

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @ollifi,

Short answer: yes, this is on purpose and you can install the current stable version on your iPad (at least) until the next beta is available through TestFlight. I suggest waiting for 6.3.1, expected to show up soon if it hasn't already, which fixes a couple bugs in 6.3.

I've merged your post with another discussion about a similar issue, where my last reply has more accurate details about it than my first. Right now I'm also seeing Unavailable for the beta build in TestFlight, but can still open it because it was previously installed. That's probably how it is on your iPhone, too. But if you never installed that beta on your iPad it won't be possible while there's a more recent stable version available, before a new beta build comes out that you can then install.

I just installed 6.3.1 on one of my iPad's, overwriting the last 6.3 beta build. So I can no longer install or open that beta from TestFlight and will be using 6.3.1 there at least until a new beta arrives. I'll soon be doing the same on my other iOS devices as well. And you may want to install 6.3.1 on your iPhone in addition to on your iPad. I'd rather be running the newer 6.3.1 than the older 6.3 beta, but if the latter is working fine on your iPhone you could just wait for the next beta instead. :)

If you have other questions about this please let us know. Cheers!

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk thanks for the reply! I actually installed the stable version, but encountered the critical Dropbox sync bug so immediately went to Testflight since I expected you to have published a fixed release there before App Store but unfortunately, there wasn't any :D

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @ollifi!

At the moment, the 1Password for iOS Release Notes page with Show betas checked shows 6.3.1 as latest release that's available and no beta builds. That page and the status of 1Password in the TestFlight app can be a useful combination to help determine stable and/or beta availability. Sometimes the Release Notes page and TestFlight might be temporarily out of sync, e.g. the most recent beta will still appear on the page but can no longer be installed. That can mean there's a newer stable release out before it shows up in the release notes, something we try to avoid happening. Determining when apps (in general, not only 1Password) will actually appear in App Store and TestFlight is more up to Apple and other factors beyond direct control. Sometimes it seems too mysterious even for Apple to entirely understand it. ;)

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, yeah. I think usually Testflight releases get approved faster than App Store ones :) but like you said, those approvals are mysterious processes :chuffed:

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:dizzy:

This discussion has been closed.