Migrating from Keepass Win10 ver. 2.32 and KeePassDroid 2.0.4 on a Nexus6P Android 6.0.1

Options
JHensinger
JHensinger
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,

Please, this is very serious. There is probably no more serious a migration than changing password managers.

1. I will need single-user Win10 and Android licenses. I will not require the Team product. The database will reside on DropBox. It is not absolutely explicit on your sites (nor in Google Store) that 1Password supports Win10 and Android 6+.
    Please be explicit. Does 1Password do this?
    I use FireFox and Chrome on Win10 and Android. Do 1Password's Extensions support these browsers?

2. IMPORT:
    For migration, can I do a direct import of KeePass 2.0.4 data?
    What are the pitfalls?
    Can I use Excel to edit KeePass CSV exported data for import to 1P?
    How much of a pain in the a** can I expect?
    Are there any illegal characters in your data structure?
    I assume that free-text note fields can not use commas. Yes / No / Enclose in quotes / Escape them?

3. EXPORT:
    Can I periodically generate/export a CSV backup of my 1Password data for off-site secure storage from within Win10 1P?
    Will this same datafile be importable to 1Password if necessary?

4. PRINT:
    Can I periodically PRINT my data in a legible format with multiple records per page for secure storage?
    Is the sort order configurable?
    Can I store/save print formatting options? Pagination, footers, etc.
    (Yeah, I know, print with Excel...)

5. INTERNAL BACKUP:
    How?
    To where? Nexus / PC / DropBox / Other Cloud
    Automatically? Based on elapsed time or date since last backup?
    Multiple previous backups retained?
    Is output file verified for data integrity? (Oh ye of little faith...)
    Confirmation AND error messages re success or failure sent to my email?

6. REPAIR/REBUILD DATABASE:
    Is there a utility process for recovery of damaged databases?

7. FUTURE:
    What is the most frequently requested improvement?

I appreciate the effort required by my questions. Thank you for your patience and answers. If I could have found these bits of information on your Web site, I would not have bothered you about them.

Jim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:import, kb:create-csv-files

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @JHensinger!

Thanks for taking the time to ask your questions! We'd love to help :)

I'm going to move your post out of the 1Password Families forum and into the Windows 10 forum, where the cool kids who use Windows 10 hang out. They'll also be able to help you with your 1Password for Android questions!

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hey @JHensinger, I'll try to answer all your questions point-by-point:

I will need single-user Win10 and Android licenses. I will not require the Team product. The database will reside on DropBox. It is not absolutely explicit on your sites (nor in Google Store) that 1Password supports Win10 and Android 6+.

I think we're very clear about what our support for anything Android 4.0+ but you're right, we could definitely be a bit more clear about what versions we support

Please be explicit. Does 1Password do this? I use FireFox and Chrome on Win10 and Android. Do 1Password's Extensions support these browsers?

The 1Password Beta from the Windows store does not support browser extensions but we are looking at different ways of implementing it in the future but 1Password 4 Does have support for browser extensions.

For migration, can I do a direct import of KeePass 2.0.4 data? What are the pitfalls? Can I use Excel to edit KeePass CSV exported data for import to 1P? How much of a pain in the a** can I expect? Are there any illegal characters in your data structure? I assume that free-text note fields can not use commas. Yes / No / Enclose in quotes / Escape them?

You will not be able to do a direct import of KeePass data, but you can import CSV data into 1Password 4. Importing CSV data is not yet possible for 1Password Beta from the Windows store, but this is definitely something we're hoping to implement. 1Password 4 includes the ability to import Login items from delimited-text files that use commas, tabs, or semicolons to separate fields.

Delimited-text files have a few common characteristics:

Each line of text represents a record—in this case, a Login you want to create in 1Password.
    1. Each string of characters between the delimiters represents a field—in this case, a name, URL, username, password, or description—in that Login to be created.
    2. The fields may be enclosed in quotation marks: "value";"value";"value value";...;"value"
    3. A field enclosed in quotation marks can include line breaks, as might be useful for long notes. It can even include the delimiter character: "value; value";"value";...;"value"
    4. The first line of text may contain field names; otherwise, the file contains only field values.

So, a properly formatted comma-delimited text (CSV) file might look something like this:

Name,Product,Serial Number,License Key,Company,Web Site,User Name,E-mail Address,Password Cogito Ergo Sum,Ergo Sum Self-Realization 5.0,CES-98765-43210,,,http://www.cogito.com/ergo-sum,your-username,your-address@e-mail.org,your-password Acme WidgetPro,WidgetPro 2010,,AC123-WP45-67890,Acme,www.acme.com,your-username,your-address@e-mail.org,your-password

If you open this properly formatted delimited-text file in a spreadsheet, all the names line up under the Name heading, the usernames under the User Name heading, the passwords under the Password heading, and so on.

If your plain-text file meets those criteria, 1Password should have no problem importing it and creating a Login item for each record.

Can I periodically generate/export a CSV backup of my 1Password data for off-site secure storage from within Win10 1P? Will this same datafile be importable to 1Password if necessary?

Yes and yes. As long as the data matches the required style.

How? To where? Nexus / PC / DropBox / Other Cloud Automatically? Based on elapsed time or date since last backup? Multiple previous backups retained? Is output file verified for data integrity? (Oh ye of little faith...) Confirmation AND error messages re success or failure sent to my email?

1Password 4 automatically creates a backup of your 1Password 4 data every day, keeping up to 50 backups at a time in a folder under your Windows user account directory. You can change the frequency, location, and number of backups retained. Unfortunately, this backup doesn't include confirmation/error messages.

Is there a utility process for recovery of damaged databases?

No, there is not.

What is the most frequently requested improvement?

I cannot speak to 1Password 4, but for the most requested feature for the Password Beta from the Windows store are browser extensions.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JHensinger ,

Use the keepass2 converter from the converter suite to convert your KeePass2 XML export. You'll do this on Windows or OS X, and import into the desktop app on that platform. You can use a trial version of 1Password. From there, you can sync to your handheld. Follow the instructions in the README.pdf and in the first post of the aforementioned thread.

This discussion has been closed.