Some sites limit the special characters you can generate

Can we please have a way to specify which symbols can be use when we auto generate a password for a site. Many banking and CC sites prevent some symbols in their password and it isn't possible at this point to exclude or specifically mention which symbols are allowed for some sites. It would be nice if it would be per password instance in the vault.

1Password Version: 4.6.0598(12)
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 x64
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I gather from previous discussions that this is harder than it might seem, because sites don't have a standard way of coding such restrictions.

For the moment, it may well be that your best choices are to keep trying until you get an acceptable password, on being with a password with no symbols and add them manually.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ppelland,

I've added your vote to the existing feature request. We do want to do something better here, we're just hoping we can come up with something that is really user friendly.

ref: OPM-1378

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I second that request. We need to have a way of excluding certain special characters from the generation section. There are only a set number of special characters available and we should be able to exclude them by clicking on them before the password is generated. Similar to how you pick the emoji.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Steve_H,

I do get it, sites have all sorts of weird requirements, really weird requirements. I shall add your points to the request.

• Femaven
    Femaven
    Community Member

Please add my vote as well.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Femaven,

Done :smile:

• eFlat7
    eFlat7
    Community Member

I registered just to voice my support for this!!! Why couldn't a drop-down arrow (hidden panel?) be added next to the "Special Characters" slider that would then open the list of special characters, allowing the user to un-check those that should not be used.

The only question remains, should 1P remember these special character preferences, or should it default to all-characters the next time a password is generated. My preference would be for remembering the un-checked characters, but perhaps this would require some sort of indicator (i.e., changing the color of the drop-down or the word "Special Characters," a yellow "!" or some other small non-obtrusive way to indicate "Hey, just so you know, this password isn't going to use all of the available characters...")

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for adding your voice, @eFlat7.

This discussion has been closed.