Delete "old" Primary Vault

Options
jules_jules
jules_jules
Community Member

Hi

I've just signed up to families and set up three users. We've been successful in migrating items across using the move feature so no trouble there.

Now I'd like to delete the primary vault so that there is no possibility of me accidentally saving something in there when I have ditched the Dropbox syncing. I've been through the settings and set primary save location to be Families but want the added security of having the Families vaults only in my apps (iOS and OSX).

Can you help as I can't seem to find anything on it?

Thanks

JR

Comments

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member
    Options

I found a post here and will give it a shot discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/59040/remove-old-primary-vault#latest

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member
    Options

OK - so for iOS I've followed the instructions as per above post. I've signed back into 1P for Families when I first relaunched the app and the sync has happened.

So for clarity I have deleted app, restarted, signed in and yet I still have the Primary vault. I can see without being very careful I will end up having an accident and putting something in there. Any way to permanently delete?

Thanks

JR

• Ben
    Options

Hi JR,

Sorry for any confusion. 1Password for Mac has a truely primary vault-less operating mode, but 1Password for iOS isn't quite there yet. We do hope to bring that ability with a future update of the iOS app.

Ben

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, that explains it! Appreciate the reply.

Great stuff all round nevertheless!

Julien

• Ben
    Options

Thanks Julien!

• scott_kt
    scott_kt
    Community Member
    Options

I was wondering this same thing. It didn't make sense to have a "primary" vault syncing via iCloud and a "personal" vault on my family plan. I nearly cancelled my family plan because of it. So to be clear, a future version of the iOS app will have the ability to not have a separate primary vault?

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

In my case, I just moved everything out of the Primary vault (using my Mac), and then disabled sync for it, set the default vault to my Personal vault in Families, and now proceed to ignore it. As a result, it's more of a cosmetic issue for me than anything else, but hopefully it can be removed entirely in a future update, as it is somewhat confusing.

• Ben
    Options

So to be clear, a future version of the iOS app will have the ability to not have a separate primary vault?

Yes. :)

Ben

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to resurrect this one guys....problems with deleting 1P on Mac with multiple users.

Mac has 4 users, 3 of which use 1P all previously synced with Dropbox. I'd like to remove all traces of that ecosystem and move exclusively to Families - all items for all users already migrated.

Having followed the instructions (a couple of times over), I still end up with the 1P Dropbox settings back again.

Can you provide instructions on how to completely remove 1P from multi-user Mac such that it can be reinstalled in Families only mode?

Many thanks

JR

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jules_jules,

Just to make sure I understand and give you the right information, do each of your family members have their own account on the Mac, or do you all share a single account?

Thank you!

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Aleen

Individual users each with individual accounts.

Regards

Julien

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @jules_jules.

We have a starting over script that might work a little better than those instructions. Here's what you need to do:

1. Download the "Data Reset Utility for 1Password 5"from here - https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/k/Data Reset Utility for 1Password 5.zip
    2. This will download the tool called "Data Reset Utility for 1Password 5" to your Downloads folder.
    3. Hold down the control key and click on the tool in your Downloads folder, select "Open" from the shortcut menu.
    4. Follow the prompts, and 1Password should give you the chance to start with a new vault.

Please let me know if this helps!

• MartinVolerich
    MartinVolerich
    Community Member
    Options

I understand (from reading this thread) that I cannot delete the primary vault on my iOS 1password - and have succeeded in cleaning up my mac setup - but how do I ensure that new logins generated on my iOS device get saved to the personal family vault and not the primary vault?

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MartinVolerich

When in the All Vaults view that is controlled by the setting under Settings > Vaults > All Vaults > Vault for Saving. When you're in a specific vault, that'll be the vault new items are saved in.

We do hope to add a "Teams/Families-only" mode to 1Password for iOS in the future such that a Primary vault is not needed.

Ben

• MartinVolerich
    MartinVolerich
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. I wanted to leave my main list of logins showing items from All Vaults - but from your comment I can see that I have to narrow the view down to the my family personal vault to target the correct store for a new login item.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MartinVolerich,

Yes, that's the current state of it. I'll mention your idea to the development team, though! It could make things more flexible for people who want to use All Vaults :)

This discussion has been closed.