Dropbox sync problems

dlogneb
dlogneb
Community Member

I have had continued problems syncing to dropbox. I use 1password on a Mac, a PC, and from dropbox sometimes (android app or browser on a computer).

Currently, for instance, I seem to have multiple versions on dropbox??? Today I made sure the app had synced to dropbox then when I tried logging into a site and it said I had the wrong password, but when I went to my browser and used dropbox-1password I had the right password.

I feel that everytime I sync from a different computer it is making another copy or something on dropbox. No matter what I have done I have never had multiple computers sync correctly except by finding the vault-file itself and sending it to myself.

All my vaults are in dropbox, it makes no sense to me at all.

Confused,

Ben

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:dropbox, kb:dropbox-troubleshooting

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dlogneb,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty with Dropbox sync! We'll be happy to help get things working correctly for you, but first we'll need to know a few more details about your setup and about the problem:

• What version of OS X are you running on your Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password on your Mac?
    • What exact version of 1Password is installed on your Windows PC?
    • Aside from your Mac and Windows PC, what other devices are you syncing with 1Password (if any)?
    • What version of 1Password are you using on the other devices (if any)?
    • Which computer has all your most up-to-date 1Password information?
    • How many vaults are set up in 1Password on your Mac and on your Windows PC?
    • Should each vault be syncing between Mac & Windows?

It will also be helpful for us if you can clarify a few things you mentioned:

I seem to have multiple versions on dropbox???

Do you mean you have multiple sync files for 1Password in Dropbox? You should have one sync file for each 1Password vault that you're trying to sync via Drobpox. The sync files should have either a ".agilekeychain" or a ".opvault" file extension (on the Dropbox web site or on your Windows PC, they will appear as folders instead of files). If you see multiple sync files in Dropbox, are there more sync files than the number of vaults in 1Password?

Today I made sure the app had synced to dropbox...

Can you please let us know how you checked to see if 1Password synced with Dropbox?

...then when I tried logging into a site and it said I had the wrong password, but when I went to my browser and used dropbox-1password I had the right password.

Just to make sure I understand, do you mean you had 1Password fill your Login credentials on that site, but the site told you the password was wrong? Or do you mean you were unable to unlock 1Password (via the browser extension) because it said your master password was wrong?

It sounds like you checked your 1Password data in Dropbox by using the 1PasswordAnywhere feature. When you did that, was the password for that Login item different than in the main 1Password app? And if so, which computer has a copy of that Login item with the correct password, and which computer has a copy with the wrong password?

No matter what I have done I have never had multiple computers sync correctly except by finding the vault-file itself and sending it to myself.

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean - would you be able to elaborate on the exact steps you take when sync doesn't seem to work?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm sure your answers will give us a much better idea of how things are set up, what the problem might be, and how to fix it. Thanks in advance! :)

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

Thanks Drew_AG,

I am using 1password version 6.1 on mac, and the latest version on PC (currently not on my PC).

After finding the sync problems I tried changing a password on my mac, pressing sync, and then going to the web-interface on dropbox. The password was not changed.

I would like the sync option to simply replace the entire lock file with whatever the most recent local copy is. I.e. if I open 1password on my PC and change something, I expect it to update the password file and then that would be the most current file and dropbox would see it as new and it would change it.

It almost feels like if I turned sync off and just pointed all my 1Password apps to a dropbox location it would work better. Perhaps I will try that.

I've attached screen shots of my dropbox folders.

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

Also. Here is a perfect example of my problem. Without showing my password you can see that there are different logins for my Schwab account. Why haven't these synced? I've pressed "sync" multiple times and I've only been using 1 computer lately.

Web-interface -- Schwab login:

1password app:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Ben ( @dlogneb ),

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping everything synced up! We'll do our best to have this sorted out for you just as soon as possible.

if I open 1password on my PC and change something, I expect it to update the password file and then that would be the most current file and dropbox would see it as new and it would change it. It almost feels like if I turned sync off and just pointed all my 1Password apps to a dropbox location it would work better.

It does sound to me like sync is disconnected somewhere. I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device
    • Confirm that both your Mac and iOS device are reading from the same file path in Dropbox.

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on your PC ("Test, PC") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your mobile devices ("Test, mobile") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac/PC" show up on either of your mobile devices?
    • Does "Test for mobile" show up on your Mac?
    • Does "Test for mobile" show up on your PC?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

Without showing my password you can see that there are different logins for my Schwab account. Why haven't these synced?

The web interface was designed for 1Password 3, which was several versions ago, so you might notice things looking a little bit different. I note that the username for the account is the same, are the passwords different?

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

No that's my point. The username is different, not the same. That illustrates that it is not syncing correctly. The password is also not syncing. I just chose schwab because I had changed user names and you can see it's not synchronized.

I think it has to do with various versions or something. In the app it says it is syncing to "1pass.opvault" or something, but in dropbox I have to click elsewhere to get the html version of 1pass.

Are you saying you no longer support the html version? My Android app also is not synced.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dlogneb,

The username is different, not the same.

Whoops, we were looking at different bits of the screenshot there. I was referring to the duplicate details shown in the screenshot of web interface, and not the usernames between the two screenshots. I'm sorry for misunderstanding your point.

In any case, your most recent screenshots have given me a clue as to where things are getting tangled up. 1Password for Mac is using the OPVault data format to sync.

This data format does not support 1PasswordAnywhere (which is what you are accessing directly via the Dropbox website.) You must be accessing an older Agile keychain file in Dropbox to view 1PasswordAnywhere.

As I mentioned above, 1PasswordAnywhere was designed for 1Password 3, which was quite a few years ago now. At this time, it is no longer being actively developed (which is why it was not included in the OPVault data format). We are looking into options to provide users with a web interface in the future (the interface available in 1Password for Teams is an example), but I can't say if or how this feature will be implemented for personal vaults.

The OPVault format also explains your difficulty syncing with Android. 1Password for Android does not currently support the OPVault data format. Our developers are working on adding this feature, but for the time being, we'll need to change your data back to the Agile keychain format in order to keep things in sync.

We have an article in our User Guide that can walk you through the process of Switching data formats.

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

Ok. But you're saying 1password for Android should be syncing to 1password for Mac version 6 – assuming I have the latest version of the Android app. Is that correct?

What I don't understand is I don't have version 3 on any machine, yet the MORE up to date password is on what you call "1Password Anywhere". In otherwords what happened is I installed 1Password on my Windows machine only a couple months ago. I updated my passwords on the Windows machine. Now I find that "1Password Anywhere" is up to date but 1Password 6 on my Mac and on Android are still syncing to the old passwords. In other words it seems like the PC version of 1Password is still using the old dropbox folders ("anywhere") and the new version of 1Password is using the .opvault files.

So, how did that happen? How can I make sure that my newest passwords (even if they are part of the older system) are updated into the newer system?

Sorry if this question sounds confusing, it's hard to word correctly. To recap:

I don't currently have access to my Windows machine, but it was running version 5 I think -- I installed it only a few months ago.

1Password Anywhere on dropbox has my most current passwords (made on my Windows machine).

1Password Mac v6 is syncing to some outdated password file from the last time I ran 1password on my Mac. It does not seem to be syncing the same file as the Windows version.

Thanks,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dlogneb,

Ok! I think we're getting to the bottom of this.

If 1PasswordAnywhere has your most current passwords, then we simply need to ensure that 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Android are both looking at that 1Password.agilekeychain file instead of the OPVault file.

Is there anything in 1Password for Mac that you need to preserve? If so, let me know and we can talk about how best to save that data. If not, here's how we'll proceed:

• Use the steps in our User Guide to start over with an empty vault on your Mac.
    • When you set up 1Password for Mac, you'll want to find the 1Password.agilekeychain - not the 1Password.opvault.

Now, I'd be happy to help you get 1Password for Android synced up as well, but it's not quite clear: do you have old data there as well, or do you simply need to set up syncing. If setting up sync is all you need, our User Guide can help you out.

Please let me know how this works!

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

Thanks Megan, I will let you know how it goes... probably won't get to this until tomorrow.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dlogneb,

No rush on our end! We'll be here whenever you need us ... although hopefully it's just to tell us that everything is awesome. :)

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

Ok. I'm a little confused. Let's just stick to my Mac and My Password Anywhere.

Since Password anywhere (.agilekeychain) is no longer supported and the new keycahin is, apparently, in the format of .opvault, shouldn't I somehow be only using the newer .opvault files?
    Is there a way to convert my old agilekeychain into a new opvault file?

I understand I will not be able to use the web to check my 1passwords, but will still be able to use Android and iOS.

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

Another thing that is confusing is the backups are stored in a folder called "1Password 4", even though I'm using 1Password 6.

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

QUESTION: If I disable sync, where is my password file? How do I find it or set 1Password to look at a different vault? I turned off dropbox, made a new vault and imported the correct passwords from a .pif file, but I can't find my vault. Where is it located?

I want to just get 1Password Mac working, then delete everything else and re-start the whole "synchronization process."

As it stands currently I have 2 databases (original .agilekeychain vault and my as-yet-to-be-located newly minted vault), 3 versions of 1Password (Mac, PC, Android) and a folder called "1Password 4." I would like to note that this seems much more complex than it needs to be – all I want is 1 vault that updates when I change it. Why, for instance, can I not just put the vault on Google Drive and let Drive sync it? I'm trying not to be grumpy, but it seems like a lot of effort to just keep 1 file updated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dlogneb,

I apologize for the confusion!

Since Password anywhere (.agilekeychain) is no longer supported and the new keycahin is, apparently, in the format of .opvault, shouldn't I somehow be only using the newer .opvault files?
    Is there a way to convert my old agilekeychain into a new opvault file?

I understand I will not be able to use the web to check my 1passwords, but will still be able to use Android and iOS.

At this point, OPVault support for Android is only available in the beta, so to keep your data synced up between all of your devices you will want to stick with the Agile Keychain format for now.

Another thing that is confusing is the backups are stored in a folder called "1Password 4", even though I'm using 1Password 6.

I know it's a bit odd, but apparently updating the name of that folder is not quite as simple as you might think. For now, our development team has decided it's best left as is. So, yes. Your backups and other support files will live in a 1Password 4 folder, even though you are using 1Password 6.

QUESTION: If I disable sync, where is my password file? How do I find it or set 1Password to look at a different vault? I turned off dropbox, made a new vault and imported the correct passwords from a .pif file, but I can't find my vault. Where is it located?

In 1Password, your data is always stored in a default location within the OS X Library. When you choose a sync source, a copy of this database is made to the appropriate location, and then both the default location and the synced location are kept up to date by the app.

If you would like to sync this new vault, all you need to do is go to Preferences > Sync and set sync using the solution of your choice.

As it stands currently I have 2 databases (original .agilekeychain vault and my as-yet-to-be-located newly minted vault), 3 versions of 1Password (Mac, PC, Android) and a folder called "1Password 4." I would like to note that this seems much more complex than it needs to be – all I want is 1 vault that updates when I change it.

Again, I'm sorry that this is frustrating for you. Once we get this set up, it should be completely effortless - Dropbox sync will take care of everything automatically. I'm curious though as to why you created a second vault instead of starting fresh on your Mac with the 1Password.agilekeychain file as I suggested?

• dlogneb
    dlogneb
    Community Member

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the new 1password behavior. I had no problems until the recent (last year or two) updates. It used to just sync.

Now I have proliferating keychains because the sync isn't working.

So I have computer A with the most current keychain, which I tried syncing through dropbox, but when I went to Computer B it was updated correctly. So I copied the vault from A to B, now I have 2 keychains.

The whole problem -- from my perspective -- is I have no control over where the primary vault is stored. If I could just say "use this vault as primary" and put it on dropbox or google drive, I wouldn't need 1Password to sync anything. I don't see the issue with this. Why make it so complicated by syncing through your app when there are 3 major apps (Gooogle, Dropbox, OneDrive) and more that can handle syncing.

I'm really trying not to be a "grumpy nerd" about his, but I sync hundreds of files with Google drive without incident and use other apps across multiple computers. 1Password is the only one that proliferates confusingly.

And I haven't even tried to get mobile working again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

@dlogneb,

For some reason you created multiple vaults instead of using the same one, but once we get this sorted out everything will sync for years and years without any trouble. :)

Disable syncing in 1Password on your Mac

1. Open and unlock 1Password on your Mac.
    2. Disable syncing in 1Password on your Mac.

3. When prompted, choose the option to "Delete data from Dropbox".

Your data is stored separately. That is only the sync source. You won't lose any data.

Let me know the paths to your vaults in Dropbox

Now, can you list the remaining vaults you have in your Dropbox folder after deleting that one? I'm wondering about any thing ending in .opvault or .agilekeychain. Let me know the full paths. For example, my own vault is located at:

~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.opvault

Let me know the path to your Windows data

Open 1Password on your Windows PC. What path is listed in Preferences > General > 1Password Data?

With that information, we should be able to get everything up and running. Once we get it sorted out, there won't be anything else to fuss with. It will just work… just like it always used to do. Whenever you created a second vault, that was when the problems started. We just need to eliminate the confusion and get back to the way things were. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.