Last sync display

TomWolsky
TomWolsky
Community Member

OK I confess I'm not as conscientious about syncing as I should be, despite the persistent warnings. Sometimes I think the apps sync over WiFi just because they both happen to be open. I was wondering if there was a way to display the last synced time somewhere more prominently. I at the moment it's buried a few layers deep in Settings. Any way this could display somewhere up front, perhaps even in the Please unlock dialog, so if I actually saw last synced 32 days ago, I might be driven to be more responsible.

Thanks very much.

1Password Version: 6.4b1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.4b7
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TomWolsky

Thanks for the feedback. This would only be a concern for Wifi sync, I think. At least, under normal circumstances.

I'm not sure putting it on the unlock screen would be a good place, that's really in your face and messes up the awesome visuals :)

Would you say that perhaps having a dialog pop up saying "You haven't synced in x days" or something similar to that might be just as useful? I ask because we have another feature we're considering bringing to the app soon that might solve some of this in that type of way.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks very much. I wasn't think of the unlock screen. I was thinking maybe it could appear in the Please unlock 1P to sync dialog.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky ah, yea. That makes some sense, too.

That said, I think that dialog is probably on borrowed time given the complaints we've seen from people :) I'm not entirely sure when that might change, though I suspect it will in time. I'll pass this along and see if maybe we can come up with some ideas for displaying that information. Maybe it'll fit right in somewhere that I'm currently not thinking of.

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thank you.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky No, thank you! You're helping us make 1Password better.

Your feedback is valuable, so keep it coming!

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sashk,

thanks for your feedback. We had the spinning settings icon in the past and consciously went away from this. Sync is something that should happen automatically and without the user being aware of it - just like backups. We want you to access your 1Password data without constantly showing you that sync is happening as this would take the focus away from why you opened up the app in the first place. We show the network indicator in the menu bar which you could use as an indicator that sync is happening.

And :+1: for wanting to switch to 1Password for Families :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

"We want you to access your 1Password data without constantly showing you that sync is happening as this would take the focus away from why you opened up the app in the first place."

In the interest of this, could we please do away with the Unlock 1P on the Mac for WiFi syncing dialog that appears when launching IOS 1P?

Thanks.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TomWolsky,

this is on our todo list already. As always: I can't promise when we improve this but we definitely are aware of this annoyance and are working on it.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thank you.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky you are very welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.