I'm not understanding how to sync with Family Teams. I have 1password on several devices.

Soundhound
Soundhound
Community Member

I'm not sure how to sync with Family account. I have been using 1password for years and have many of the same login items on the various devices. Not sure how they all got there. I now would like to make my iMac the main place, and have all the devices sync together using the logins on that. I set up a Family Account, and now see that I can copy items to personal or shared?

Not sure what to do now. How do I set it up so that the Family account will reflect all the logins on the iMac, join all my other devices and have them all have those same logins. And then in the future I'd like any changes on any device to update the logins on all the other devices.

thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I'm not understanding how to sync between devices with Family Team account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Soundhound: Sorry or the confusion! There is no sync setup with 1Password for Families/Teams. You simply login to your 1Password account on each device, and then they can access your vaults. That's it! :)

So in your case, since you started out with pre-1Password for Families vaults (on your iMac, for example), you'll need to do as you describe: login to your 1Password account (to get your new vaults setup there), and then copy the data from your old vault(s) to the new one(s) in 1Password for Families:

Migrate to a Family or Team account

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Soundhound
    Soundhound
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty, appreciate it! Since I already have the logins on a few differenent computers, how can I find out how they must have been synced (I assume I must have done that at some point?) and then how would I get that same info to sync with all my devices?

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

Hi @Soundhound,

If you launch and unlock 1Password, then go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, you'll see a list of all of your not-Families vaults :) You can click on each one to see how they're syncing. To get the items in your vaults into 1Password Families, set up your 1Password account on your computer (from the Teams tab in Preferences), then move the items from your original vault to one of your Families vaults:

Import your data

Does this help?

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

@Soundhound writes:

... Since I already have the logins on a few different computers, how can I find out how they must have been synced (I assume I must have done that at some point?) and then how would I get that same info to sync with all my devices?

Okay, so you've been using the 1Password app for a while on multiple devices and you see your various passwords when you open the app on each device, so you think they must have been synced, right? Wrong! Mere fact that you see a lot of the same passwords in the 1Password app on two or more computers doesn't mean anything is being synced or has been synced. It might just mean that you manually entered the same passwords while using each device. I did this myself years ago when I first started using 1Password, before I figured out syncing via Dropbox.

To make matters even more confusing, the mere fact that you've saved a vault or vaults in Dropbox doesn't mean that the vaults are being synced by your 1Password apps. Dropbox of course syncs the files between all of your computers or devices that are using the same Dropbox account. But you still have to hook up 1Password on each device to the same vaults, otherwise you might not be seeing the same thing on each device. For example, right now, on my iMac (my old 'main' computer), 1Password shows me three vaults: one for me, one for my wife, and one for my mother. But on my Macbook Pro (my new main computer), 1Password isn't aware of the vault for my mother. I can switch to Dropbox, go into the Agilebits folder and see the vault file lying there. But 1Password on my MBP doesn't know about it because I never connected it to 1Password. So it's syncing with Dropbox but obviously, it ain't syncing in all my 1Password apps.

So you definitely want to follow Aleen's advice (check the app's prefs, 'Sync' tab) and see what it says. But do it on each device. And check the paths that are displayed in that tab of the prefs dialog. It's possible to have two copies of a vault named "Mother" sitting in two different folders in Dropbox — and for one app to be linked to one file, and the app on a different computer linked to the other vault. If you didn't check the paths, you might think both apps were linked to the same 'Mother' vault, but they're not. Check those paths!

One of the brilliant advantages of the new 1Passwords for Families concept is that you no longer need to worry about syncing any vaults that are set up in your Families account. Well, you have to go into the app on each device, go to Prefs > Teams (as it's called at the moment) and let the app know about your Families account. And again, you need to do that on each computer. But when you do this, you're connecting to your account rather than to a particular file located somewhere in Dropbox or iCloud. So with 1Password for Families, you don't have to worry about where the darned files are located. Migraine headache eliminated.

Good luck.

Will

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @williamporter! Those are some great clarifications :) I appreciate it.

• Soundhound
    Soundhound
    Community Member

Thanks for all this info guys! I've gone to the prefs on 1password on my iMac that will be the main app. Under Sync and vault included, there are Primary, then [Name I setup for Family account I think) and within that Family vault are personal and shared. Primary seems to be housing all my logins.

Do I now move all my logins to the Personal or Shared vaults in the Family Account? I don't need multiple ones, just want to have all my devices share all the same logins.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Do I now move all my logins to the Personal or Shared vaults in the Family Account? I don't need multiple ones, just want to have all my devices share all the same logins.

@Soundhound: The "Shared" vault is — as you might expect — shared between all members of the Family, so be sure to only put things there that you want others to be able to access. So probably the best place to start would be to move items from your old Primary vault into your new "Personal" vault, and then decide what — if any — items you want to put in Shared instead.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Soundhound
    Soundhound
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. I copied the logins to the Shared vault. Now trying to use that shared vault on other computers/devices etc. It needs the QR code, which I can't find, tried looking for the email it came in but haven't found that. I went into 1password on the iMac and found the team url and account key but when I try signing in on the other macs, it says one of the codes is wrong. It's also asking for the master code, which should be the same as my regular password vault unlock code. Maybe I created another one? Ack, such a slob. How do I find out what my info is correctly so I can use it with the other macs/devices etc?

thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Soundhound: You don't technically need the QR code. It just makes it a bit quicker to set up new devices. However, you absolutely do need to have your Account Key and Master Password (which you setup initially when you signed up for 1Password Families, along with your Family URL and email address) to login.

You can find the QR code in the Emergency Kit, along with the Account Key. And if you didn't save your Emergency Kit during the setup process for some reason, you can find it (and the QR code) after logging into the 1Password Families web interface. In the upper right corner, click your Family name, and then under Get the Apps you'll find the QR code, and under My Profile you can find your Emergency Kit.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• Soundhound
    Soundhound
    Community Member

Thanks! You guys are life savers! I just synced everything (my Primary Vault) with iCloud, and it all seems to work fine, so I'll probably just stay with that. For future reference though, I did set up a Family Account. I went to 1Password Families tab on the 1Password site, but when I try to sign in, it asks for a domain. I don't think I have that and now realize that the Teams function is a paid subscription service? And I don't think I enrolled in that? So I set up the Family Team vaults on my iMac, but to use them I'd need to sign up for the paid service I'm guessing? If so, all good, I think I've got what i need with the iCloud sync.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Soundhound,

I’m so glad to hear that you’re getting everything sorted out!

I went to 1Password Families tab on the 1Password site, but when I try to sign in, it asks for a domain.

When you sign up for 1Password Families, you will choose a domain: myfamily.1password.com that you will use to access the service. That’s the URL that Brenty was referring to earlier.

I don't think I have that and now realize that the Teams function is a paid subscription service?

1Password for Teams and 1Password Families are a paid subscription service. The good news is that the cost of the apps is rolled into the subscription fee, so you will get all updates to 1Password, across all platforms that you use, for free.

So I set up the Family Team vaults on my iMac, but to use them I'd need to sign up for the paid service I'm guessing? If so, all good, I think I've got what i need with the iCloud sync.

There is a free trial for 1Password Families, but after the trial ends, you will need to choose to pay, or any data stored in 1Password Families vaults will go into read-only mode, which means you will not be able to edit the entries.

If you’re happy using 1Password with iCloud, awesome! You can keep all your data in your primary vault, and remove the Family account in 1Password's Preferences > Teams pane.

I hope this helps. :)

• timsinger
    timsinger
    Community Member

Sorry to sound so ignorant here but if you are not using Dropbox or iCloud (which I'm told you do not need to with families), how does everything sync? Also, In my preferences/sync tab, only "Primary" appears, not my other vaults.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@timsinger everything syncs via our servers.

Also, In my preferences/sync tab, only "Primary" appears, not my other vaults.

This is because only vaults that aren't connected to a 1Password account can be synced via another method.

I hope that clears things up!

This discussion has been closed.