Saving multiple account keys in browser local storage

Options
dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member

On one of my machines more than one person would access the family website in the same browser with the same profile. We noticed that only the last used member (email & account key) is saved. If I say switch accounts than all the saved data is lost. Would be more convenient if somehow the account key would be accessible after entering the corresponding email address.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dahanbn!

This is an interesting idea. I'm not sure it's something we'll implement, as there are likely security concerns, but I've already passed on your feedback!

Thanks, as always :)

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Could the Family Web site login be setup as a normal web page login via 1Password Primary Vault? I just started to get into this, but I moved everything out of the Primary Vault to my own Family vault. The only thing I have in my Primary vault is the 1Password Recovery Kit as a Secure Note. Could we have the ability to add a Login entry (one for each user if you need) that contains the E-Mail, Account Key and Master Family password into the Primary vault and have 1Password app properly fill in the login page for the Families Web Login?

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rr0ss0rr,

Yup! This is actually what I've done, since I log into the website so often :) Just set a custom field for your Account Key!

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks. If I add a custom field for the account key. Would 1Password use this to automatically fill in on the login page? Does the custom field have to be named a certain name?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@rr0ss0rr - Instead of adding that custom field, I'd suggest following the directions to save a new login manually. That will capture everthing without your needing to mess with custom fields. I'm not sure one of those will fill anyway, but I could be wrong about that.

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks .. That saved all 3 pieces .. but automatic filling did not work on the Account Key field .. Not a biggie on the Mac as I can hover over the 1Password entry from the 1P browser button and copy/paste the Account Key .. but I'm sure there is an easier way to do this ..

• Jacob
    Options

@rr0ss0rr Actually, filling doesn't happen on the Account Key field because it should be automatically stored in your browser, unless you're using private browsing or you checked the "This is a public or shared computer" box. I personally only save the password for my Family because the email and Account Key stay the same. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I was about to create a new thread about this, but I now see it's being covered here.

I too thought I'd be smart and create a Login item for my Families account. And I'm experiencing the same things, I think. Despite my own advice earlier in this thread to create a login manually, it doesn't work fully for me either.

If I save a Login manually in Firefox from my normal login screen for Families, the resulting Login records all three fields: email address, account key, and password. But the account key is recorded in its obscured state - a few of the characters followed by dots. It works fine when I return to the same page in the same browser, where the email address and obscured account key are already filled in.

But this doesn't seem very useful for what I might actually want this record to do. I would want it to log me in to my Families account from a fresh browser, one that hasn't already stored the Account Key. So, I edited the record to include the full account key. I then switched to Safari, which doesn't currently know my Account Key, and when I press ⌘\, it fills the email address and the password, but not the Account Key. Now I see from @penderworth that the account key doesn't fill. I think it should.

Incidentally, trying to save the login manually from Safari doesn't work at all. When I select the option in mini to do that, nothing happens.

Not only does the account key not fill, it also seems impossible to delete it from a browser that already knows it. When I try to highlight the account key to delete it, nothing happens. I can't highlight it. The same happens when I try to delete the email address - no soap. I can get empty fields if I click the option to use a different account. However, then the email address and the password are automatically filled in, but not the Account Key.

I guess this is how it is supposed to be, but because the account key is long and complex, it properly is something I am unlikely to remember. Maybe the assumption is that if I were going to a new browser on a different computer or a fresh installation on my own computer, I should have to type in the account key. I can, in fact, copy the key from 1Password and paste it into an empty account key field on a fresh browser. But I would have thought the Account key should autofill. It feels to me like 1Password has become 2Passwords with respect to its own Families login.

In real life, almost all the time, this won't matter much. I probably should just file these little facts away, perhaps in a Note in my Login item for Families, and stop obsessing about it.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. Perhaps it will illuminate the situation for someone else.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

It feels to me like 1Password has become 2Passwords with respect to its own Families login.

;)

Same feeling though.

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

You'll want to click on "Switch Accounts" put in all your info including the full account key prior to saving the login .. I assume for security Agile is blanking out the account key. I also agree and would like to not have the account key to be automatically filled in and have 1P have the capability to enter both the Account Key AND Master password .. Kind of a dual authentication based on the Login entry in my local Primary Vault. Seems that protecting the Account key is as vital as protecting the password and I'm utilizing 1Password to keep all my stuff protected ;-)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You'll want to click on "Switch Accounts" put in all your info including the full account key prior to saving the login

Did that already. It does indeed capture the unobscured account key, but the resulting login is still limited by not being able to fill the account key when trying to log in. As you already noted, @rr0ss0rr. Edit: Although this record does contain the full account key, it will not any longer autofill my password.

I also agree and would like to not have the account key to be automatically filled in and have 1P have the capability to enter both the Account Key AND Master password.

But maybe this is just being over-concerned. I've relied solely on a strong master password ever since I adopted 1Password, and I've regarded that as being unguessable and sufficient protection for my data. And it still is. I think I have talked myself out being concerned about this, except for the odd time I might want to log in from a new computer, in which case I'm likely to have to type this all in anyway.

• blurter
    blurter
    Community Member
    Options

Having 1Password fill in the Account Key seems to be browser dependent. For me, the Account Key is NOT filled in when using Chrome; however the Email, Account Key and Master Password fields all fill correctly when using the 1Password extension with Safari on a Mac. I have my family credentials stored in my local primary vault with all other logins, etc. stored in the Personal and Shared vaults with 1Password for Families.

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Weird .. I tried Safari, Firefox and Opera on the Mac and none of them fill in the account key .. in 1P, the Account key is listed within a "Security" section with a label of "Account Key". I do not see the account key under "Web Form Details"

• blurter
    blurter
    Community Member
    Options

Like your situation, my Account Key is listed in a "Security" section, but it's also listed under "Web Form Details" as a text field. I wonder why the program would have created your entry differently.

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure .. Did the save in all 3 browsers with the same results .. I'm using the 1P Beta with Beta browser extension

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Al,

So we may have a couple of different things going on and I want to try and address them separate.

@hawkmoth, you mentioned that a Login item that works in Firefox doesn't work in Safari. Can I ask that you check which versions of the 1Password Browser Extension you have installed please. Let's say you run the stable versions, both Chrome and Firefox will have in all likelihood updated by now to version 4.5.5. If you're using the Safari Extension Gallery for Safari though you will find it is still on version 4.5.3. We are now collecting additional elements in version 4.5.5 of the extension and an unfortunate side-effect of this is it alters the web form details for some sites although it may not be visible. What it means is sites that require three or more fields to be filled may need re-saving but then you should be good. It does require homogeny in versions though, you need to be running 4.5.5 in all of your browsers as a mixture won't work. We're simply awaiting approval by Apple for the new versions of the extension which were submitted to them at the same time we submitted to Mozilla and Google for approval in their own extension galleries.

@rr0ss0rr, I'm seeing a difference here between the stable version and the beta version of 1Password for Mac. The stable version records all three fields in the web form details and correctly fills while the beta is leaving the account key in the web form details blank. I'm enquiring about this now as I don't know why this is happening.

• blurter
    blurter
    Community Member
    Options

@rr0ss0rr

My Safari browser extension was automatically upgraded to version 4.5.4 recently, and I now experience the same behaviour that you noted. Although my account key is recorded in the web form details, that field is no longer populated when I use the browser extension.

• Ben
    Options

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know, @blurter! I'll be sure to mention this to @littlebobbytables so hopefully we can get that fixed up.

Ben

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,
    i'm a bit confused ...
    Now with 6.3 BETA 15 i'm still not able to login automagically inserting data from 1P into Safari.
    The item that doesn't pass is Account Key.
    There's a way to solve that or not (yet) ?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@face,

If you have your 1Password account credentials (email, Account Key, and Master Password) saved in a Login item, the Account Key will not be filled at this time. That is what Ben reported to the team after it was mentioned above.

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

It's so difficult to solve this issue ?
    I still cannot access to 1Password for family website using 1Password (on my Mac).
    Seems incredible that this issue is still here ... :)

• Kinny
    Kinny
    Community Member
    Options

Just read with interest (one of the responses) that the account key is not passed while using Private Browsing.

I actually use Private Browsing by default on my Mac, and had previously reported how 1PW would not pass the account key when trying to log in to 1password-dot-com — and was acknowledged that it was an issue which would be looked at to rectify.

Forgive me if I hadn’t read the thread thoroughly enough, but what is the justification for not filling the account key given these scenarios?

Appreciate the thoughtful responses so far. But I’m still at a bit of a loss.

• Jacob
    Options

@face Thanks for checking in. That's actually how we designed it to work, so it's not broken. I'll have a word with our browser team and see if we can improve it a bit, though. The Account Key should be stored in your browser, which is why filling isn't usually necessary. If you're using a new device, you would need to sign in to the app to fill things there anyway. On the other hand, private browsing like what @Kinny mentioned is the exception to this.

@Kinny Sorry for the confusion on that. The Account Key is not stored locally, but it is sent to 1Password if you decide to save a Login when you sign in. It's not included in filling — that's correct. This may change in the future, but right now we just save it to the item as a custom field. If you're using private browsing all the time, I can see how this would be an issue. You can quickly copy the Account Key from the Login you created after signing in and use that. Otherwise, I'd recommend using 1Password for Mac since you don't need the Account Key once you've added your account to the app. :)

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth thanks for the reply.
    unfortunately seems not to work properly
    i've inserted my account key but 1P for Mac doesn't fill user name (e-mail) and password.

• Jacob
    Options

@face Could you try saving a new Login item for the account?

How to save a Login manually in your browser

That should get it filling properly, so long as you're on the latest version of 1Password. :)

• Kinny
    Kinny
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth

Thanks for the note. I didn’t realise that this was something that’s still being considered.

I am using the 1Password for Mac client, so no worries there. What comes up as a question mark for me is why the account key is never filled in. Previously, I had an issue with getting into LinkedIn, and resolved it after doing a new entry into the database (obviously, something changed between the time that I originally saved it and when it stopped working).

Because 1Password is so convenient, whenever it doesn’t work, it raises a flag. It’s okay to copy-and-paste the account key from the app whenever I need to log in to the site, which is the time when I need to manage my Families account (which has been rather often of late!)

Cheers for the detailed response! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kinny, @face: I believe that the issue you're experiencing with 1Password Families/Teams login filling is identical to a bug we're working on in 1Password for Mac. Please see my reply in this discussion for more detail, and let me know there if that matches what you're seeing:

1Password Not Filling In Master Password Field at Families Sign In Page

• Kinny
    Kinny
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Just dropped a response there. Thanks for looking out! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• Stephan_
    Stephan_
    Community Member
    Options

It would be really nice if the web app allowed to switch between multiple accounts on the family login page. As it is, only one family member can use 1password from the same computer/browser without having to reenter the account key on every login after switching the account. I can't use the Chrome password manager, because I don't want it to store the master keyword.

This discussion has been closed.