All of a sudden 1Password 6 (on Mac) started hiding my pin number for a credit card. Why?

johnpetersonmyers
johnpetersonmyers
Community Member

I've used 1Password for a long time. I upgraded to 6 on 5 March. Now on one of my credit cards 1Password hides the PIN number. The only way I can display it is by asking to edit the entry. How do I get it to display the PIN number as it used to?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:All of a sudden 1Password 6 (on Mac) started hiding my pin number for a credit card. Why?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@johnpetersonmyers have you tried pressing the ⌥ key when viewing the entry?

Stephen

• johnpetersonmyers
    johnpetersonmyers
    Community Member

You mean the option key? I just tried. It does nothing.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @johnpetersonmyers,

As far as I know we've always hidden the PIN in Credit Card items as we treat it a bit like a password.

In 1Password 6 for Mac we have an option, enabled by default, that is in the Security tab of 1Password's preferences and is titled Conceal Passwords this options conceals and field labelled as a password and the default PIN field in a Credit Card item is a password field.

I'm surprised holding down the alt key when the main 1Password window is the active window didn't reveal the PIN as it does for me and Stephen as you can guess based on his suggestion. It only works if the window has focus though, if the window isn't the active one you wouldn't see any change.

The option I referred to earlier can also be disabled but this would mean all passwords are always visible which may not be what you want at all.

Does any of this help and match with your own experiences? Please do keep us updated.

• johnpetersonmyers
    johnpetersonmyers
    Community Member

Thanks for your help. This may be the key: For the card entries that are working correctly, with 'Conceal Passwords' turned on there is a line that says "Verification number" and then a field full of dots symbolizing the Verification Number. When I turn Conceal Passwords off then instead of dots I can see the number directly. But for the card that is not working there is no line that says Verification Number. I can only see it when I edit the entry. The alt key works fine for the cards that are working properly. But not for the card that isn't.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @johnpetersonmyers,

Very strange. Can I ask, the button you use to enter edit more for the broken item, does it say Edit or does it say Resume Editing?

If it says Resume Editing that means there are unsaved changes and that I could understand as unsaved changes aren't visible until they've need accepted.

If the button says Edit that would mean there aren't any. I don't know why but maybe the item is damaged somehow. It would be safe to assume that if you created a new Credit Card item and copied all the information over that this new item would be fine but it doesn't help explain what has happened to this item.

Does anything here match with what you're seeing?

• johnpetersonmyers
    johnpetersonmyers
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

It says 'Edit.' Not 'Resume Edit'

I deleted your screen shot. It showed what appears to be a valid American Express card number. I'm sure you don't mean for that to be displayed on a public forum. (hawkmoth - community moderator)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnpetersonmyers,

That is odd. Little Bobby suggested that the next step would be to create a new Credit Card entry and copy all the information over. You can use 1Password mini to make this simple:

• Use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to open 1Password mini
    • The search bar is automatically active, so you can start typing the name of your credit card entry
    • Once the entry is active, use the keyboard or the mouse to view the details
    • Click the anchor button in the bottom corner to pin the details to your screen
    • Open the main 1Password app and create a new Credit Card entry
    • Copy the information from the pinned window into the new entry in the main app
    • Save when done

Does this new entry display your details properly?

This discussion has been closed.