Unable to Install Extension?

Options
Eric_Champlin
Eric_Champlin
Community Member

"An error occurred while installing the extension".
More information: I used to have the extension but removed it. I want to place it back on my computer and the extension cannot be installed.

I have already tried the following:

• I have tried restarting Safari
  • I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @Eric_Champlin,

Thanks for reaching out for help. Let's see if installing the extension from the new Safari Extension Gallery helps. Please try there and let me know whether or not that works.

• Eric_Champlin
    Eric_Champlin
    Community Member
    Options

This worked - thank you! However, the extension makes Safari lag pretty badly (which is why I took it off in the first place). Apple Support has confirmed that it is the 1Password extension. Is there a way to bypass the lag?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eric_Champlin,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this! Glad to hear you were able to install the extension. I don't know why it would be causing such a lag in Safari, though.

To help us figure out what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• Eric_Champlin
    Eric_Champlin
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@Drew_AG

Support ID: #GRE-57452-754

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Eric_Champlin: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: GRE-57452-754

• RickS
    RickS
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi, I have the same trouble of Eric.

When I double click on 1Password-4.5.5.safariextz, or 1Password-4.5.5.b3.safariextz safari give me the error:

Safari can’t install this extension
    An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.

I can install the extension "1Password 4.5.3" form the Safari Extension Gallery, but i have some lag when i enter my master password or when I do a search

Please, can you help me ?
    Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickS,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with the extension, but I'm glad that you've been able to install via the Safari Extension Gallery.

To deal with the lagging you're seeing, let's try restarting 1Password mini. In the main app, please go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Does this help?

• RickS
    RickS
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the answer.
    Yes, restarting Its helps, but only for a limited time, usually from a few hours to a day at most.
    But why I can no more install the plug-in "1Password-4.5.5.safariextz" downloaded from your website ? is there an issue on my mac, or is in the 1Password-4.5.5.safariextz ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @RickS,

Regarding the lag, the issue isn't with the extension but 1Password. We're tracking a couple of different issues. I believe one has been improved in the latest betas of 1Password while the other one we're still trying to learn enough about the cause. If you're experiencing a slow unlock in either the main 1Password window or 1Password mini you may be able to help us. What we're looking for are people affected by this to download and use the beta version of 1Password which includes more logging in an attempt to discover the cause. After the issue presents itself when running the beta we're hoping the extra logging will result in a diagnostic report that the developers can use to better understand the cause.

If this is something you would be interested in doing then the following will move you to the beta version of 1Password for Mac if you're running the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac.

1. Open 1Password and enter 1Password's preferences.
    2. Switch to the Updates tab.
    3. Tick the checkbox titled Include beta builds.
    4. Click the Check Now button and follow the 1Password prompts to install the beta version.

Now new beta versions are available on a regular basis and as restarting 1Password seems to stop the issue from appearing you probably want to not update to let the problem occur. After it happens while running the beta you want to create a diagnostic report and the following will assist in that.

I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two. We will then make sure the developers are made aware of your diagnostic report from the beta and with a little luck we can learn what is happening.

Now to the subject of the 1Password Safari Extension. I seem to remember reading that improvements in OS X 10.11.4 helped here as whatever the issue is it seems to be connected to Safari. We had a number of people where Safari refused to install the Safari extension if it came from our site while it would install if it was from the Safari Extension Gallery. We have submitted 4.5.5 to Apple for inclusion in the Safari Extension Gallery and we're awaiting their approval. Until then we're stuck at 4.5.3 there.

If you have any questions about any of this please ask.

• sscriven
    sscriven
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to add the 1Password extension to Safari on my iMac. I download the 1Password.safariextz, I install it, I launch it, then the following message appears... "There is no application set to open the URL onepassword4-extension://activate/Safari."
    All software is up to date and I've tried several things, but can't get past this error.
    I do have it successfully installed on my MacBook Pro and iPhone 6 which were legacy installs. However, I'm having this iMac issue, and a similar issue installing 1Password on my wife's iPhone 6, which are both new installs to enable 1Password Family/Teams.
    I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

• RickS
    RickS
    Community Member
    Options

I would be happy to help you but I use the apple store version with icloud sync, is It safe for me to go to the beta "non app store" branch ?
    For me it is essential to remain with synchronization via iCloud.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I would be happy to help you but I use the apple store version with icloud sync, is It safe for me to go to the beta "non app store" branch ?

For me it is essential to remain with synchronization via iCloud.

@RickS: Absolutely! And as of version 6.0, the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac also has iCloud Sync. Just follow this guide:

Switching to the version of 1Password from the AgileBits website

And once you have it setup, you'll just need to enable beta versions (in Preferences > Updates) and then check for an update to get the latest. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm trying to add the 1Password extension to Safari on my iMac. I download the 1Password.safariextz, I install it, I launch it, then the following message appears... "There is no application set to open the URL onepassword4-extension://activate/Safari."

All software is up to date and I've tried several things, but can't get past this error.

@RickS: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and browser versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you perhaps trying to use an old, incompatible version of 1Password with the new extension?

I do have it successfully installed on my MacBook Pro and iPhone 6 which were legacy installs. However, I'm having this iMac issue, and a similar issue installing 1Password on my wife's iPhone 6, which are both new installs to enable 1Password Family/Teams. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Can you tell me what problem you're having on the iPhone? It's completely different from the Mac, so it won't be at all related. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.