1password very slow to open after upgrading to latest version.

jimb512105
jimb512105
Community Member

After upgrading to the latest version 1password (6.0.2) is extremely slow to open from the browser plugins or the app itself. I get the spinning icon and eventually it will open. After it is open it then performs as usual. I have tried resetting icloud but I am actually syncing with dropbox.
El Capitan 10.11.2
Chrome extension 4.5.3.90

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1 password slow to open

Comments

• Hi @jimb512105,

Thanks for writing in. We're currently looking into this issue. The current workaround is to quit both 1Password and mini, which should make it behave correctly for a while. If even after quitting both 1Password and mini you're able to consistently get this to happen, please let us know as we'd likely want more information from you.

Rick

• jordazzle
    jordazzle
    Community Member

This has been happening to me for the past couple days, as well. I'll post again if I have more details

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jordazzle,

I'm sorry you're having the same or similar problem! It will be helpful if you can fill us in on a few more details about your setup and the problem you're running into:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • Are you using iCloud or Dropbox sync in 1Password? If so, which one?
    • Are you having a problem when trying to open or unlock the 1Password browser extension? If so, what version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser? (Also, what web browser are you using, and what version?)
    • If you reboot your Mac, do you still have the same problem, or does it seem to work better?
    • What exact steps do you take to reproduce the problem, and what exactly happens?

Thanks in advance! :)

• RobBalt
    RobBalt
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I've also been having this problem:

• osx 10.11.3
    • 1pw ver1Password 6 Version 6.0.2 (602004) AgileBits Store
    • Dropbox
    • Browser only problems. Safari and chrome.
    • Chrome Version 47.0.2526.111 (64-bit)
    • Safari Version 9.0.3 (11601.4.4
    • Rebooting does not fix.
    • Can easily reproduce.
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RobBalt,

I'm sorry you're also having this problem. Thanks for the details! Indeed, this sounds like the same issue Rick mentioned earlier in this discussion.

Our developers are looking into this issue, and the latest beta version of 1Password includes some extra code which might help them figure out what's causing it. If you'd be willing to help, it would be great if you could do the following:

1. Install the beta version of the 1Password app
    2. Reproduce the "slow unlock" issue (or wait for it to happen again)
    3. Create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac
    4. Attach the diagnostics report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down your report and have our developers take a look. Hopefully it will help them to solve this issue. Thanks very much! :)

• RobBalt
    RobBalt
    Community Member

@Drew_AG Just sent you a log. Thanks for the help. Ticket: XWT-58454-629

• Hi @RobBalt,

Thanks for sending that in, I've sent you an email about it.

Rick

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

Hello, I have exactly this problem. What should I do?

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

How about this? Is it solved? I'm experiencing the same issue.

• gabturtle
    gabturtle
    Community Member

I have had the exact same problem since upgrading. It's made 1password pretty much unusable. I get the spinning icon for at least 20 seconds when I need to unlock it either via the plugin or 1password mini.

OSX 10.11.2
    1 Password 6.1 (0005)
    Bought through Agilebits Store

It's fine once unlocked but I have it locking almost immediately

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @anprieto,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password! We've heard from a few users who have reported slowness when unlocking 1Password mini, and our developers are currently investigating the issue.

One solution seems to be to restart the mini:

Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini (from the main app).

Please let me know if this makes things a bit speedier for you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @anprieto and @gabturtle,

I'm very sorry you're running into this issue with 1Password mini!

@anprieto, I noticed you asked about this in another forum thread which was actually about a different problem (although the symptoms were similar), so I moved that (as well as Megan's reply) to this discussion.

@gabturtle, if you try Megan's suggestion above, does it improve the speed of unlocking mini? The problem might happen again before our developers are able to fully solve this, but it might be helpful for you in the meantime.

Our developers are looking into this issue but need more information from users who are experiencing it. If you'd be willing to help, it would be great if you could do the following:

1. Install the latest beta version of the 1Password app (the option to do this is only available in the AgileBits Store version)
    2. Wait for the next time you experience the issue
    3. Create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac
    4. Attach the diagnostics report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down your report and have our developers take a look. Hopefully it will help them to solve this issue. Thanks very much! :)

ref: OPM-3829

• KMWAZ
    KMWAZ
    Community Member

My system displays the same issue. Takes 5 - 8 seconds for 1P to open after entering password? Restart did nothing to solve that.

• robertocastello
    robertocastello
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Yes same problem here...weird..??
    Don't you think ?
    Safari Versione 9.0.3 (11601.4.4)
    Extension 1 Password 4.5.3
    1Password 6
    Version 6.1 (610005)
    Negozio AgileBits

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

ok, By now I have opened the main app & restarted 1password. After that, I have entered the password in the main app and that was fast. I have blocked the app, and started using cmd+ç and that was fast again, so seems like problem solved.

I will wait to see of this continues like that. If not, I will go with the diagnostics and the beta version.

thanks
    antonio

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @KMWAZ and @robertocastello,

The problem you're running into now is most likely different than the one from the older thread where you posted your messages (although similar symptoms), so I've moved your posts to a more recent discussion for the issue I believe you're experiencing. I hope you don't mind!

As you can see from the other messages here, this is a known issue our developers are looking into. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience! In most cases, restarting 1Password mini seems to help, at least temporarily: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.

In my previous reply, I also explained how to send our developers some information that will help them to fix this problem. If you'd like to help, please follow those steps to install the beta for the 1Password app, wait for the problem to happen again, and then send in a diagnostics report.

Again, I'm sorry you're running into the delay when unlocking 1Password mini! If you have more questions about that, please let us know. Cheers!

• KMWAZ
    KMWAZ
    Community Member

Thanks - I'll do that.

• I'm sorry that you're hitting this issue. We're still working on figuring out what's causing this.

Rick

• adamziel
    adamziel
    Community Member

Same here:(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

Hi @adamziel,

I'm very sorry you're also running into a delay when unlocking 1Password mini! My understanding is that it's been a tricky problem to track down & solve, but our developers are working very hard to figure it out. As you can see from the previous replies here, restarting 1Password mini seems to help, at least temporarily. If you'd like to help our developers resolve this, please check out the steps in my previous response to install the latest beta, wait for the problem to happen again, and send us a diagnostics report.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience! If you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

• neezer
    neezer
    Community Member

I am having the same issue. I think I've been experiencing this ever since upgrading to El Capitan. As far as I can tell, it is only affecting 1Password Mini (main application and Chrome extension do not seem to suffer the same problem). Quitting it (via Activity Monitor) and re-opening fixes the issue temporarily and sporadically.

I have created a Diagnostic Report on my system using your utility; lemme know where I should send it, if y'all want to take a look at it. I'm syncing my passwords using iCloud. I also ran all the permissions fixes using the Diagnostic Report Utility and they seemed to have no effect.

El Capitan 10.11.3 (15D21)
    1Password Version 6.1 (610006) Mac App Store

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @neezer,

Thanks for letting us know you're also experiencing this problem, and I apologize for the inconvenience!

In case it's easier for you than quitting it from the Activity Monitor, you can restart 1Password mini from the main 1Password app by going to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. That usually helps, although it's a temporary workaround.

We really appreciate that you created a diagnostics report for us! Unfortunately, unless you were using the latest beta version of 1Password 6 when the problem happened, the diagnostics report won't actually include the information that will help our developers with this. We don't have a public beta version of the Mac App Store version of 1Password, so if you'd still like to help us out with this, we would just need you to switch to the AgileBits Store version first (it's not difficult, it just takes a couple extra steps).

If you're still willing to help, you can follow these steps:

1. Switch to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password
    2. After you've switched to the AgileBits Store version, please install the latest beta version of the 1Password app (the option to do this is only available in the AgileBits Store version)
    3. Wait for the next time you experience the issue
    4. Create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac
    5. Attach the diagnostics report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down your report and have our developers take a look. Hopefully it will help them to solve this issue. Thanks very much, we really appreciate it! :)

• neezer
    neezer
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I'll try to get to generating a useful diagnostics report on my machines this weekend, but in the meantime, can you also post instructions for reverting to the App Store version of 1Password (after going to the Beta version you listed above)? I know app developers like AgileBits have at-best mixed feelings about the App Store in general, but from an end-user perspective, it's a great user experience to have all your apps available in one place for easy downloads. Makes setting up new systems an absolute breeze.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @neezer, we appreciate it! Sorry I forgot to mention anything about switching back to the Mac App Store version in my previous message. I wasn't suggesting you needed to switch to the AgileBits Store version permanently, and I apologize if I gave you that impression. I love the Mac App Store too - you're right, it's very convenient! :)

It should be very easy to switch back to the Mac App Store version - basically, just start using the Mac App Store version again! If you deleted the Mac App Store version when switching, you'll need to re-download it from the Mac App Store. And you can move the beta/AgileBits Store version to the Trash at that point - just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools when you do that.

If you made any changes to your 1Password data while using the beta, you'll want to be sure those changes end up back in the Mac App Store version. If you're syncing with Dropbox or iCloud, or if you're using a 1Password for Teams or 1Password Families account, that should happen automatically.

On the other hand, if you don't sync your 1Password data and don't have a Teams/Families account, it will take a couple extra steps to make sure changes are reflected in the Mac App Store version, but that's still pretty easy. Let us know if that's the case, and we'll be happy to explain how to do that. Cheers! :)

• Arleen
    Arleen
    Community Member

I too am having the same problem. Please let me know when this is fixed.

• amanjeev
    amanjeev
    Community Member

Same issue here. The slowness started sometime around update to El Capitan but last two days it has been very slow, almost to the extent of being unusable. I have installed 1Password from Mac App Store.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Arleen & @amanjeev,

Depending on where you purchased 1Password for Mac from you will receive either a message about a possible update from the OS X App Store application (if you purchased from the Mac App Store) or from 1Password itself (if you purchased from our own AgileBits Store). We are hoping to have a new version out in the not too distant future so keep an eye out for it.

Until then, and assuming we're talking about the same issue, either restarting 1Password mini or quitting both 1Password and 1Password mini and launching it again should offer temporary relief as the issue is one that builds over time. Megan mentioned earlier the menu option Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini and the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q used when the main 1Password window is open will completely quit both 1Password and 1Password mini.

We are tracking a second issue but the first thing we need to do is ensure we're talking about the same problem and probably the easiest way is to see if the issue persists after the next update.

• rodwilli
    rodwilli
    Community Member

I've been experiencing this same issue. Using the extension from within Firefox, it takes increasingly longer and longer for 1Password to open; often up to 20 seconds. Issue goes away after restarting my computer. And, after the delay, 1Password behaves correctly.

Info; Mac OS 10.11.3, Firefox 45.0.1, 1Password 6.1 (610006) from Mac App Store

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rodwilli,

Sorry to hear you're also having this problem! It's actually a different problem from the original one in the previous thread, so I've moved your message to another discussion about the issue you're running into here.

Feel free to take a look at the other posts in this thread if you want, but in short: This is a known issue our developers are looking into, and I apologize for the inconvenience. Instead of restarting your Mac, an easier workaround is to restart 1Password mini. To do that, open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.

Our developers need more information from users experiencing this, and have added some code to the latest beta version of 1Password that will log more information about it in a diagnostics report. If you'd be interesting in helping our developers, we would need you to switch to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password and install the latest beta, wait for the problem to happen again, and then create a diagnostics report. (You'll be able to switch back to the Mac App Store version after that, if you want.) We'll be happy to give you the steps to do that if you want to help, so just let us know. Thanks! :)

• rodwilli
    rodwilli
    Community Member

Thanks Drew. I upgraded to 6.2 and will monitor the results. If "Mini" continues the slow delay degradation again, I'll try the beta test.
    What is the other discussion you are referring to?

This discussion has been closed.