[Feature Request] auto-separation of IBAN

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Dear AgileBits team,

I wasn't sure where to put this and tried to find a similar suggestion through search but nothing came up (which I find curious). If I missed anything, please tell me.

The request: Would it be possible for 1Password to separate IBAN codes the same way it does with credit card numbers?

Whenever I save an IBAN, I either have to do it without spaces, which makes copy & paste easier, but when I have to dictate it, it's way harder – or with spaces: makes copy & paste more difficult; but dictating easier. You solve this so well with credit cards so I was wondering if you could do the same thing with IBANs. And while I'm at it, maybe SWIFT (BIC) codes, too? (IBAN is more important, though.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@albert.s: Weirdly, as far as I've ever known, my IBAN and SWIFT codes are just straight sequences — no fancy formatting. However, it's possible that I'm being dense, either in misunderstanding your request, or because I've been Doing It Wrong™ all this time and didn't know it. Can you offer an example of what you're looking for? Thanks in advance! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply, @brenty. I just read my post again and realized that I didn't describe it very well. How about this:

When I enter and save a credit card number in 1Password (16 digits) like this: 1234123412341234, 1Password displays it like this: 1234 1234 1234 1234 (four groups of four digits). When I copy the credit card number, the number is copied as one string, without spaces. That accomodates both use cases for credit card information: Either I want to copy & paste it somewhere, or I want to dictate it to someone or want to jot it down.

Now on to the IBAN: It's a string of 20 characters, which, when I enter it in 1Password, looks like this:

XY121234123412341234

Now, this is really handy when I want to copy & paste it somewhere online because the fields for IBANs are usually case sensitive (they only allow 20 characters and delete everything longer).

However, I occasionally have to dictate my IBAN to someone. In that case, it's way better to have it displayed like this:

XY12 1234 1234 1234 1234

Because this way, it's way easier to read. But if I want to see it this way in 1Password, I have to save the IBAN with spaces between the numbers, which in turn will make the copy & paste use case more difficult.

So I am advocating for treating the IBAN field like the field for a credit card number: It's saved as a string of 20 but displayed in groups of four. Get it? :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @albert.s,

Thanks for the clarification! It sounds like that would be handy for you, and I'm sure there are other customers who would also find that useful. I can't make any promises about if or when we would do that, but I can certainly forward your request & feedback to our developers to let them know how that would help you. We really appreciate that you took the time to explain all that!

We're here for you if you need anything else, so just let us know. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Drew_AG. I appreciate it and will from now on carefully check every release of 1Password. ;)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• gsender
    gsender
    Community Member
    Options

The suggested formatting it's not just a fancy future.it is recommended so that the user can easily write down and verify the numbers. If you look at everything that is printed officially from banks you will find that the number is formatted as suggested. It happens that I want to copy the numbers from my iPad. if the numbers are not formatted I have a real problem.

Also the first two numbers after the country code are a checksum.it would be very helpful if this checksums is verified by first password. We don't want to store the wrong numbers, won't we? ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also the first two numbers after the country code are a checksum.it would be very helpful if this checksums is verified by first password. We don't want to store the wrong numbers, won't we? ;)

@gsender: That's a great idea! I didn't actually realize that's how an IBAN worked. Thanks for bringing that up! :)

• gsender
    gsender
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I have implemented this once. If you're interested I try to look up the source code.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the offer, @gsender! I'm not sure if that will be necessary for our developers, but I can let them know you'd be willing to help out if they need it. We really appreciate it! :)

This discussion has been closed.