two members sharing a iPad

what_happened
what_happened
Community Member

Hello,
I have a family account with two members. Each with 1password set up on their own computers/phone. We share a iPad and would like to install the 1password app there as well. Is there a way we can both have access to our own vaults/passwords? I'm not sure but I believe we both use different syncing methods.
Thank you

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.1
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:two family members on one device?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016

Hi @what_happened,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

iOS was very much designed to be a single user system (i.e. one person per device). It wasn't designed to handle multiple people, with different access needs, on the same device. As such the OS doesn't give us any help here, unlike Windows and Mac which are designed to be multi-user systems. The concept of "user accounts" come from the OS itself (we don't have to do anything special in 1Password to get this functionality).

Understandably a lot of folks do share their iOS devices, particularly iPads. But at this point without the support of the underlaying OS we really just don't have the cycles needed to bring multi-user support to iOS. It may be something we can reconsider down the road, particularly if the landscape changes and there are improvements on the OS side, but at present 1Password for iOS only supports a single user.

Sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for.

Ben

• what_happened
    what_happened
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply.

Would a work around be possible, such as creating a shared vault on the iPad and importing selected passwords from our personal vaults?

Cheers,
    Michal

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016

Michal,

You could certainly create a vault that both you and your partner have access to, store items that you want access to on the iPad there, and then login to either on of your 1Password accounts from the iPad. Of course then you'll need to unlock 1Password using the Master Password of whichever of you logged in, so that is one caveat of such a solution.

Another solution might be to create another 1Password account within your family for use on the iPad. Again you'd create a shared vault but this time you'd give three users access to it: you, your partner, and the iPad account. That way neither of you have to know the other's Master Password, but you can access the subset of "iPad accessible" logins on the iPad.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.