Kindle Fire Feedback

jfdp
jfdp
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Android

Hello, I am a happy 1Password customer that recommends your product whenever I have a chance. I know you are not supporting Kindle Fire tablets at the moment, but I wanted to cast my vote for you adding this support in the future (with Amazon's aggressive pricing they are bound to increase in popularity) and to provide some feedback.

I installed the Android Beta on my Fire. Details:

Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet
Fire OS 5.1.1
1Password for Android: Version 4.5.3b2 (20151222) (10066)

Good news is the basics worked:

• I was able to sync with my vault using DropBox
  • I was able to open the vault and navigate around and view items
  • I was able to use the keyboard with no issues
  • I was able to launch URLs from the vault

There were some rough edges:

• One time I ran into layout problems when switching to landscape mode, but this seems intermittent as I only saw it once
  • It was a bit hit-or-miss when I launched a URL whether the site would auto-fill and open successfully. But it is unclear how much of this was due to 1Password issues vs Silk issues vs website issues.

This was really quick, basic testing, but overall not too bad. Please consider adding native Fire OS support in the future.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.5.3b2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Fire OS 5.1.1
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Thanks for the update, and thank you for your support of 1Password. I’m happy to hear the basics are working when sideloading 1Password for Android on your Kindle Fire HD!

Amazon FireOS has it’s differences from the Android OS, so if we look into supporting the Kindle devices, we will need to test and workaround these compatibility issues. I’ll be adding your findings to our internal issue tracker, so our developers are able to review these known issues.

Let us know if there is anything else you want us to look into! Happy New Year! :)

• zozowine
    zozowine
    Community Member

Hello, I too would be interested in the Kindle Fire functionality of 1Password. Please let me know if and when this will happen.

• saad
    edited March 2016

Thank you so much for your interest in 1Password. At the moment, we don’t have any plans to officially support 1Password on Kindle devices. Few of our users were able to sideload 1Password for Android on their Kindle devices. If you plan to as well, please use it with caution as it has not been tested by us on Kindle’s Fire OS.

• tryphoon
    tryphoon
    Community Member

And as a I result, I have (not totally happily) migrated to LastPass and its new LastPass 4.00 UI. $12 a year. Keep in mind I have been a 1password user from the earliest days, on Mac, iOS and Windows VM. The Android Beta had been working perfectly on all my Kindle devices for a while. I am tired of having to chase the next beta. After all these years (and the large amount of posts on this community asking for a Kindle version), despite all the money I spent on licenses, I am leaving 1Password behind...

• I am sad to see you go @tryphoon and I apologize we do not have a native app for our Kindle users. Our Android team is relatively small and in combination with the long list of internal tasks, we also receive many feature and improvement requests every day from our awesome users. It really comes down to where we can fit each one on our roadmap to be absolutely honest.

We are dedicated to make 1Password for Android the best and we have been focusing on its quality before we try and juggle two platforms. Fire OS is similar to Android OS but they do have their differences and it would require the team to maintain two separate codebase.

We appreciate your support of 1Password and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I really hope we can support Kindle devices some day in the near future and you will reconsider 1Password again.

• tryphoon
    tryphoon
    Community Member

Thank you for your candid feedback. I totally understand (happen to work in a similar field). Sometimes, adding features is not worth stoping user base expansion... I'll keep on checking....

• I'm glad to hear that Saad was able to explain where we are with Fire OS support. Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.