What's the difference between Teams and Families (besides the price)?

Options
lilyball
lilyball
Community Member

What's the functionality difference between Families and Teams? I know the pricing difference, and so I assume there must be a functionality difference, but I'm not sure what it is. https://teams.1password.com/pricing/ lists the features of Teams as

• Unlimited vaults
  • Unlimited items
  • Admin Console
  • Fine-grained access control
  • Multi-team support
  • Native apps including free upgrades

Meanwhile https://families.1password.com lists the features as

• Unlimited items
  • 1 GB secure document storage.
  • Native apps including free upgrades
  • 24/7 email support
  • Item history backup (30 days)

I assume that Teams also gets the item history backup even though I don't see it listed, and I assume it also has at least 1GB document storage though I don't see that listed either. And I assume Families has an admin console. So I guess the only real question is, does Families get unlimited vaults with fine-grained access control, or is it limited? And if Families does get unlimited vaults with fine-grained access control, then what does Teams offer that would make me pick it? I would have expected the 5 person limit on Families to be the distinguishing feature, except you can add more members for $1/mo each.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not with AgileBits, and I think they're still working to define the major differences as Teams was the first product and Families started as an answer to take Teams and make it cheaper so families weren't paying $5/mo x # of Family Members. However, my understanding is that they share a pretty large chunk of the codebase and features. I don't know about history retention, but I believe the main differences with Families is that you get less fine-grained access control, as you mentioned. I am curious if there are any major differences (like a vault limit, though I've not seen anything mentioned like this for Families and I read a lot); I have one account of each right now but don't use them since there's not a good solution for Windows sync with browser filling yet (though there is a Windows 10 app with some functionality that connects to Teams/Families); I'm sure someone from AgileBits will be along to clarify soon.

• natehouk
    natehouk
    Community Member
    Options

What is the advantage over the current (free) solution of a shared Dropbox folder with a shared vault?

(With the added advantage of local backups).

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@natehouk There may not be an advantage for you but if you have multiple users and would like to not manage syncing multiple vaults manually, or you need web access to the vaults, or you want the recovery features, read-only access for some family members to some vaults (like for kids), there are definitely some reasons Families makes sense vs. the standalone version (though AgileBits has said both will continue to be developed and work). I'm sure I'm missing some benefits as well.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @kballard, @dszp, and @natehouk!

I assume that Teams also gets the item history backup... and I assume it also has at least 1GB document storage.

Correct assumptions :)

And I assume Families has an admin console.

Also correct.

does Families get unlimited vaults with fine-grained access control, or is it limited?

Families is more limited. There are two kinds of family members: owners and everyone else. Owners have the ability to add more family members, change permissions on vaults (family members can read or edit items, depending upon their permissions), and start password recoveries. There are currently no plans to limit the number of vaults a family can have.

What is the advantage over the current (free) solution of a shared Dropbox folder with a shared vault?

As has been pointed out, there's no sync setup to go through on any device. Once someone logs into their 1Passsword Families account, they're up and ready to go. It's easy to control who has access to which vaults--you don't have to worry about sharing and unsharing folders in Dropbox. And the full versions of all of the 1Password apps are included in the 1Password Families subscription cost.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have more questions :)

• natehouk
    natehouk
    Community Member
    Options

So with the fact that all owners can change permissions, does that mean there is no way to make my partner an owner (which I want to do so we can do recovery), without them also having the ability to access my personal vault (by changing permissions)?

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @natehouk,

That's a great question! Nobody has access to anyone else's personal vault, even account owners!

• lilyball
    lilyball
    Community Member
    Options

@Aleen With a Family, are the per-vault permissions done per-member, or are categorized into "permissions for Owners" and "permissions for everyone else"? And can I have a shared vault that only some family members can read? I'm thinking here of a shared vault that parents can access but kids can't even read (so parents can share logins).

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @kballard!

Permissions are indeed per member, but owners can access anything but personal vaults :) You can definitely have a vault just for parents that the kids can't get to!

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

Can everyone create their own Personal Vault?

• Ben
    Options

A Personal vault is created automatically for each user (except guests). Personal vaults cannot be edited or deleted, and additional Personal vaults cannot be created.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks .. My daughter was the 1st to accept the invitation so I couldn't see what she saw (she's remote). I just logged into my wife's e-mail ;-) and accepted my invitation to her so now I can see the whole picture .. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. We're here for you! :)

• fischums
    fischums
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to clarify on the unlimited vaults... @Aleen said that "there are currently no plans to limit the number of vaults a family can have," and @bwoodruff said "additional personal vaults cannot be created." So I'm a little confused. Is there only one personal vault per user allowed but unlimited shared vaults? Is there unlimited personal vaults for each user and unlimited shared vaults within the family? A bit more clarity there would be appreciated as I decide if Teams or Families is best for me. Thanks! :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@fischums -

Is there only one personal vault per user allowed

There is only one Personal vault per user, which is created by default when the user comes into the account. That's why I capitalized Personal. But account owners can create as many vaults as they like and limit their use to any subset of the Family that is desired. You could create a vault that only you would use, if you like. That's "personal" in a certain sense, but not in the technical sense of the default Personal vault that each user has and which cannot be shared with other Family members.

Likewise, each Family account has a Shared vault created when the account is set up. That vault is accessible to every member of the family. It cannot be deleted and you can't change access to it. But if you don't want everyone to see some parts of your data, you don't have to put anything in the default Shared vault.

I hope that adds some clarity.

• fischums
    fischums
    Community Member
    Options

That definitely helps, @hawkmoth, thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, sorry for the confusion! In case it helps anyone else, the "Personal" and "Shared" vaults created by default are special, and cannot be modified or deleted; but new vaults you create yourself can be customized in many ways. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.