How to use 1password for an application that I open with double clicking on the desktop?

Options

Hello, I have been trying 1password for several days and eventually I bought it yesterday. It’s a very powerful tool and I’m really happy to have much stronger passwords. I wonder whether I can create a password for an application like Quicken deluxe. I open this software with a double click on my Windows-PC desktop and then it asked me for entering a password to open the file. So far I couldn’t find anything in the manual how to use it with an application that helps me. Thank you very much! Klaus from Stuttgart in Germany.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:opening file

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@traveller1411: I'm not familiar with Quicken Deluxe on Windows myself, but generally unless an app is doing something very odd that prevents normal keyboard access, you can use the Auto-Type feature in the 1Password for Windows desktop app to fill login credentials into an app:

Creating an application Login

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• traveller1411
    traveller1411
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, thanks very much for your very quick response. Your process despriction works for the first part: creating a password for this program without an username. However the second step using the login doesn't work: because I have a German keyboard the character '\' is left to the zero and can only be printed with ALT GRP. Is there a workaround with it? When I go to 1password on choose right-hand 'copy password' and paste it into the application password field it works. I can live with it. Best regards Klaus

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@traveller1411: Aha! No problem. You can change the keyboard shortcut to something more appropriate for your layout in 1Password Preferences > Logins. Then go to Help > Restart 1Password Helper for it to take effect. That should do the trick. :)

• traveller1411
    traveller1411
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, thanx! I changed my keyboard shortcut as you told me and.... it works perfectly. I'm really amazed that this shortcut works in other applications as well. Thanks again!! Best regards Klaus

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @traveller1411,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

It works globally because 1Password Helper that runs in the background listens for the shortcut and then starts doing its job to auto-type your data in after it finds the Login item that matches the program's ID. Just make sure you focus the username field first before you use the shortcut.

This discussion has been closed.