Merging two different data files on two different computers

Padlock
Padlock
Community Member

I tried to merge my wife's data with mine but because we had each other's information that I merged in the past it duplicated the two data files.
How do I remove the duplicated files or start over?
Should we be using a separate vault for each data file?
How do we keep both our computers up to date with each file?
We use Dropbox to synchronize files, my dropbox on my iMac and her Dropbox on her MacBook Pro.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:diagnostics, kb:starting-over

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @padlock.

Sorry you're having this issue.

Can you tell me how exactly you are merging these two data vaults? If you are exporting everything into a 1pif file than you would indeed end up with duplicate items because they would not been seen as the same item when you imported it. This is a change that happened in 1Password 6 so it might have worked for you in the past.

I'm not 100% certain if you should have separate vaults from each other or share one vault since I don't know your setup. If your items were exactly the same, you could indeed both just have the one vault configured on each other's computers, and sync to one single agilekeychain or opvault file in Dropbox.

However, if you have certain items you don't want to share with each other, you probably both want to have your own personal vault configured, and then a secondary vault that contains all the shared data between that one.

In terms of removing the duplicate files. You would have to weed through and remove the items. Or if you have an existing device that does not have those duplicates you can reset your other clients completely, remove your opvault and agilekeychain files from Dropbox and re-create a opvault or agilekeychain file from the device with the correct data in it. Do all of your devices have the duplicates in them?

Hope this helps.

• Padlock
    Padlock
    Community Member

Yes, I did export using 1pif file. Your right it did work in the past without duplication. We now have 1Password 6. Our data is shared but my wife enters as I do different passwords for access to different programs and we would like to see each others information. I have only exported to my iMac. But because I use the same Dropbox account on my IMac and my MackBook Pro, 1Password has the duplication. My wife uses a separate Dropbox account so she will not see the duplication. What is your suggestion to merge our information without getting the duplication. Export "all" using the 1pif files, I guess will not work anymore on 1Password 6 without having this problem reoccur. Thanks for any help you can give.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Padlock,

Thanks for giving us a bit more insight into how you're using 1Password. I think you might be going to a bit more trouble than you need to be. Let's see if we can simplify things for you!

First, I want to be sure that I understand your current set up with 1Password:

• You and your wife currently have 1Password installed, and each have your own vault of data
    • You each have your own Dropbox account - is your 1Password data currently syncing to your Dropbox accounts?
    • Your goal is to have access to each other's data

Here are some potential solutions for you:

Multiple vaults

We set up a shared vault for you and your wife. This will allow you to keep your own information separate, while sharing the information that both you and your wife need access to. For example, you mention that you and your wife each have a Dropbox account. Your Dropbox Login would be stored in your primary vault so that you can easily tell that it's yours and it doesn't get mixed up with your wife's. Logins like Netflix and a shared banking account would live in the shared vault, because it's something that you both want access to on a regular basis. It's a pretty great system, and it's what I use with my family.

Share everything

If you want to see all of each others' information all of the time, we can set it up so that everything is synced via Dropbox into one vault that you both can access. The complication here is that if you have separate accounts for the same site (like Dropbox), you would need to be creative with the item naming to make sure that you know who's Dropbox Login is who's.

But regardless of how we set it up, you should be able to share information with your wife without resorting to .1pif files, even if you each have your own Dropbox account.

Please let me know which of these options sounds best to you and we can discuss instructions on how to make this happen.

• Padlock
    Padlock
    Community Member

Hi Megan, thanks for getting back to me. The Shared vault sounds interesting but I think I would like to stay with how we have been working for awhile (share everything). This way it would be less confusing to find things. I would like to know how to set up a shared vault that we may use later. How is this method kept up to date so others can see it?

So, would you direct me how to keep our files up to date without duplicating the files when I transfer the information when we "Share Everything". I have been updating the info for a long time but things must have changed with the new 1Password version that cause this duplication issue.
    Thanks in advance for all you help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Padlock,

In order to share a vault with each other and automatically keep it up to date on both Macs, you'll first need to sync that vault via Dropbox. Then, assuming you each use a different Dropbox account, you'll need to use Dropbox's folder sharing feature to share the vault's sync file with the other Dropbox account. Because both Macs will be syncing with that same sync file in Dropbox, changes you make on one Mac will automatically show up on the other Mac.

The main question is which vault the two of you want to share with each other. As Megan explained, one option is to have your own Primary vault on your Mac which contains data you won't be sharing with your wife, and create a secondary vault that you and your wife will share with each other. Another option is to sync your Primary vault to her Primary vault, so all of your items and her items will be together in the same, single vault on each Mac.

If you want to create a secondary vault that you and your wife will sync/share with each other, you'll need to start by creating that secondary vault on one of your Macs, and we have steps to do that here: Create a new vault

Next, whether you want to share a secondary vault or share a single Primary vault between your two Macs, you'll need to follow the steps here: Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers?

Does that help? If you have questions about any of that or have trouble getting it all set up, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• Padlock
    Padlock
    Community Member

Ok, I am almost there. I have deleted all the duplicated files on my 1Password that I had copied from my wife's data. So my file is now up to date with both our information. I have created a shared folder for my wife to access in Dropbox. What is my next steps? Do I need to delete my wife's data on her computer? And if so how? How will she link to this folder to keep us both synchronized ?
    How do I get my 1Password into my shared Dropbox folder for her now to use?
    I really appreciate all the help you are giving, sorry for being slow with this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Padlock,

I'm so glad to hear that we're getting this solved - thanks for your patience!

If the information in your vault is now the same as the information in your wife's vault, there should be no need to delete her data, we can simply tell 1Password on her computer to sync any changes to the shared location in Dropbox. Here's what we'll do:

On your computer

1. Open 1Password and use File > Backup, just so we have a fresh copy of your data to roll back to, if anything goes sideways
    2. Go to Preferences > Sync in 1Password
    3. Select Dropbox sync, and choose the shared folder that you created
    4. 1Password will create a 1Password.opvault file in that shared folder
    5. If you haven't already done so, we'll need to share the Dropbox folder with your wife.

On your wife's computer

1. Accept the shared folder invitation (if necessary)
    2. Wait for Dropbox to fully sync (the Dropbox icon in the menu bar will show a spinning icon when sync is in progress)
    3. Open 1Password and use File > Backup, just in case :)
    4. Go to Preferences > Sync
    5. Select Dropbox sync, and navigate to the shared folder
    6. Click on the 1Password.opvault file inside the shared folder
    7. 1Password will ask for the Master Password of the vault, once you enter it, you're all synced up! Any future changes to either your computer or your wife's will get synced to that shared file in Dropbox, and to the other computer.

If you have any questions about these steps, please let me know!

• Padlock
    Padlock
    Community Member

Almost there, I am ready to connect my wife's files. If she or I have made a change how will that be reflected in the joined information. Will the 1Password see this as a new item or a revise the old item?
    I really thank you for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Padlock,

If you or your wife make a change to an existing item, that item will be updated on both of your computers. For example, if I change the Netflix password in our shared vault, my husband will see the new password the next time he opens 1Password. If you or your wife make a new entry, that new entry will show up as a new entry on your other computer.

This should save you from a lot of duplication and stress! :)

This discussion has been closed.