Keeping Data in Sync

Options
davidfromdigswell
davidfromdigswell
Community Member

I currently have 1 password on my Mac and IOS devices synched through dropbox and have just opened a family account. I understand that best practice advice is to move all data that I wish to share with family members over to the family vaults and maintain the data in that environment. Whilst I understand the logic of this, there are many occasions when I require access to say a secure note when I do not have internet or mobile data access (e.g. when travelling on a plane) and therefore it looks like my only approach would be to keep two copies of the note, one in each environment with the onus on me remembering to update each note when a change is made. Is my understanding correct, and if so are there any plans to address this? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davidfromdigswell,

Thanks so much for giving 1Password Families a try, I hope you love it!

One of the great things about Families is that your data is instantly available on all of your devices. As soon as you created that Secure Note (say, on your Mac) it appears on all other computers and mobile devices. Internet access will be required for that to happen, but you do not need internet access at the moment that you wish to open and edit the Secure Note.

It is important to note though that at this time this is not a background process. You will need to open 1Password on your mobile device for that process to initiate. (Which I think is probably a simpler solution than maintaining two copies of the item!)

I have a combination of 1Password for Teams vaults and personal vaults synced by Dropbox, and even though Dropbox sync does have a background process, I make it a point to open 1Password on my iPhone and initiate a sync before a trip, just to be safe.

I can't speak to our future development plans, but we know that access to your data is important, and we're investigating ways to strengthen and improve this process.

• davidfromdigswell
    davidfromdigswell
    Community Member
    Options

Megan Thanks for this. I guess I am still learning about how the two work together. I can now see that once synced, all items in all vaults are available for off-line viewing. With this in mind I am struggling to see if there is any value in keeping any data in my primary vault or whether I should move everything over to either my family personal or shared vaults. The only reason I can see for keeping anything in my primary vault would be if I didn't want a family member to be able to see those items assuming I granted administrative access as suggested to another family member - I hasten to add that I have nothing to hide from my spouse and this wouldn't be a problem for me!!

If this is correct is there an easy way of moving all item or is it an item by item move which would be rather time consuming? Many thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @davidfromdigswell

The only thing I keep in a local vault anymore is a copy of my 1Password for Families emergency kit. :) Beyond that, I don't see much reason to maintain a local vault.

The only reason I can see for keeping anything in my primary vault would be if I didn't want a family member to be able to see those items assuming I granted administrative access as suggested to another family member

Even if you make someone else an administrator, they never have access to your "Personal" vault. Each family member gets a Personal vault that is created for them automatically when they create their account. No one else is ever able to access this.

If this is correct is there an easy way of moving all item or is it an item by item move which would be rather time consuming? Many thanks.

We're working on a more automated way to do this, but it is currently possible to move items in bulk between vaults, yes:

(Mac) Migrate to a Family or Team account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.