A couple of simple questions

Options
jramskov
jramskov
Community Member

1) Can all family members create vaults and decide who it's shared with?
2) Do the admin have access to all vaults?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jramskov,

Every member of your family can in fact create vaults and decide who, if anyone, to share them with. The admin doesn't have access to other people's personal vaults, or vaults not shared with him. I hope this clears up your questions! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jramskov: Indeed, each member's "Personal" vault is only ever accessible to them. The "Shared" vault is accessible to the whole Family. Both of these are static and cannot be changed, but any other vaults each of you create can be shared with any or none of the other Family members as you choose. Cheers! :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks for the quick response. So there is a default shared vault called "Shared" that's available to everyone, but everyone is free to create new vaults and share them with whoever they want?
    Sounds like a solid implementation that will work for my use case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the quick response.

You're very welcome! :chuffed:

So there is a default shared vault called "Shared" that's available to everyone, but everyone is free to create new vaults and share them with whoever they want?

Exactly! :sunglasses:

Sounds like a solid implementation that will work for my use case.

It's pretty flexible, and I'm glad to hear that it will be useful to you. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. We're here for you! :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

Cool!

Can you help me convincing the wife to start using it? :dizzy: :p

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jramskov,

I'd love to at least try ;) First of all, this article can help you to show how awesome 1Password for Families is:
    https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/
    It gives detailed examples of how it can be used and all the benefits. I'm a big fan of 1Password, and can hardly imagine life without by now. At some point a few years ago my Facebook account was cracked into, so of course it made me paranoid, having 1Password I can have the craziest, longest, safest passwords that nobody would ever be able to see. Now, about the Families part, my boyfriend and I end up being in different parts of the world quiet often. There are things that we need or want to share with each other that we wouldn't just send over iMessage or anything else like that! So whether it's something simple like sharing the password for Netflix, or something big like a bank account information, doing it by a shared vault in 1Password is by far the easiest and safest way to do it. Not only that, if one of you need to change one of the passwords that you both use, as long as it's saved on the shared vault, you never have to worry about leaving someone out. Let me know if this helps you two or if you have any questions I, or a member from AgileBits can help with! :chuffed:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jramskov,

Well, I'm not sure i can provide a better answer than Pilar, except to mention that customer support is a huge priority of AgileBits. So if you, or your wife ever has a question about how to get set up with 1Password, or how to work through some oddity, we're available here, or via email ( support@agilebits.com ) and we're more than happy to work with you to get things working smoothly. Obviously, I'm biased, but I've tried a lot of products with not-awesome customer support, and knowing that there's someone around to help when I need it is a big deciding factor in what products I use now. :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for your detailed replies. I guess it's an unfortunate thing in life that it's easier to convince people once they have experienced getting their identity stolen. I do agree that good customer support is important and I have enjoyed the quick answers here and previously also quick responses on twitter.

Another question: I got an older family member that's only got one usable hand/arm. Entering long passwords isn't really something he would enjoy. Fortunately he doesn't use computers that much and I let the browser remember his passwords. I'm not sure there are any really good solutions yet, but I wonder about your thoughts/suggestions for people like him?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jramskov: Hopefully I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but the approach I used with my wife was to just set her up with 1Password, show her how to use it...and then she kind of had to in order to access important accounts and such. That sounds pretty bad, but she depends on me to manage all of the technical stuff, so 1Password "technically" (ha!) fell under my purview anyway. After all, when she has a computer problem, I'm on the hook for that too, so I'd have to be the one to fix things if her email account were compromised because of a weak password. Just a thought. ;)

Another question: I got an older family member that's only got one usable hand/arm. Entering long passwords isn't really something he would enjoy. Fortunately he doesn't use computers that much and I let the browser remember his passwords. I'm not sure there are any really good solutions yet, but I wonder about your thoughts/suggestions for people like him?

This is a really interesting problem. I'm not sure what the solution would be, but sort of along the same lines as your comment about identity theft, and as gently as possible without using fear tactics, I'd encourage them to use a strong Master Password. I hate to say it, but someone malicious isn't going to give any of us a break based on who we are when it comes to trying to access our data. But that's not much in the way of optimism or an actual solution, is it? :(

My thought in this case is that an iPad might be a good option. With a smaller-than-standard keyboard it's likely easier to type on one-handed, and with Touch ID they wouldn't have to enter their Master Password as frequently. Ultimately, we want to find something that works for them and still keeps them secure. Let me know what you think! :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty no worries at all. That's how I usually handle it with my parents, but I can tell you with certainty that it would be a bad strategy when it comes to my wife :chuffed:

I fully agree that using good passwords are important and I have also enabled 2 factor on their gmail accounts and such. My point was that typing a 16 character password often wasn't going to work for him and what thoughts Agile Bits have had in that regard since you've already done a lot of great sucurity stuff, I found it likely that it was an issue you'd have given some thought too.
    They do have an iPad, but sadly the model right before Touch ID became available. For now, he's not really used that I believe, I believe only his wife uses that. The good thing is that she basically didn't use computers before, but now she's using email and such. Pretty much a perfect device for her. In the longer term I do agree with you that an iPad with Touch ID would be a viable option.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jramskov,

Are you familiar with 1Password's wordlist passwords? We recently introduced a new method for generating passwords based on Diceware. These passwords are randomly created using a list of words instead of characters. A wordlist password can be just as secure as a jumble of random characters, and it's a lot easier to type too. It might not be the perfect solution for your family member, but I do hope it helps.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan Yes, I have switched to using those myself and yes, they will certainly be easier to remember.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jramskov,

I'm glad to hear you're using wordlist passwords - it's been a long-requested features, I was pretty excited when it was implemented. :)

This discussion has been closed.