Filling fails intermittently on thebandr.com [known issue] and sunlife.ca [save new login manually]

JohnFauquier
JohnFauquier
Community Member
edited March 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

2 sites have a username box and password box and sometimes work but usually fail. It appears that a timeout is occurring. I was wondering if there are settings I am unaware of that might help smooth these out. One site is http://www.thebandr.com/. (It often works when selecting the login from 1Password and letting the latter open a new window; however, it often just tries to write the username and then refuses to write in the password box.)

The other site is Sun Life Insurance for filing claims online. The website remembers my username (through a cookie I presume), but 1Password does not work at all. Perhaps there are some sites that just do not work with this amazing software.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @JohnFauquier,

Can you help us please with the answers to a couple of questions.

1. What operating system do you use and what version?
    2. What version of 1Password are you running?
    3. What is your preferred browser and the version of that browser?
    4. What version of the 1Password extension is installed?
    5. How do you like to fill? Do you click on the website field in the Login item from the main 1Password window (what we call open and fill or go and fill) or do you load the page in your preferred browser and then use the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ (ctrl + \ for 1Password for Windows) to fill the page?

Those will help us better understand your setup and how to test and reproduce the issue you're experiencing and we can go take a look :smile:

• JohnFauquier
    JohnFauquier
    Community Member

Thank you for your prompt response. Here are my details:
    1. 1Password is being used at my office on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 and at home on my iMac which is running El Capitan.
    2. 1Password was purchased in the last few months and is, on Windows, 4.6.0.604 (15); 4.5.5.90 (Google Chrome); OS version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1. (I am responding at the office and not at home so do not have the Apple related data.)
    3. My preferred browser is Google Chrome both at work and at home although I use Safari at home at times.
    4. See above
    5. My preferred method is to go to the icon in the browser extension and click on the login I want. That opens a new frame and often opens the site I desire. Sometimes I use the shortcut. Other times I go to the extension and click on the "preferred" item at the top of the window.
    6. I use Dropbox to provide common storage of backup files.
    Thank you very much. Cheers!...John

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @JohnFauquier. I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. I looked at the thebandr.com site and I do see that the password field doesn't properly fill. In looking at the code for the field, the problem is that this is not a password field at all:

<input name="masterPageUC$ctl00$ctl01$txtPassword" type="text" value="Password" maxlength="50" id="masterPageUC_ctl00_ctl01_txtPassword" tabindex="2" class="advLogPassword masked" autocomplete="off" onfocus="tbFocus(this);" onblur="tbBlur(this);" onkeypress="pwKeypress(event,this);" style="">

Note especially the type="text" portion. A password field should normally have type="password" This is pretty silly, and totally explains the problem. The reason the password doesn't fill is because we avoid filling your password into any field that's not actually a password field.

I'm not sure what the motivation is with this decision on the programmers' part, but if I were paying a club a membership, I would expect them to take better care of my information. For starters, using an <input type="password" placeholder="Password"> would accomplish the same display as the current implementation. I will open an issue in our bug tracker for this one, but it might be a little while before we can address the situation. In the meantime, I would strongly recommend bringing this issue up with the club and see if you can get them to improve things there on their end.

For the Sun Life insurance site, I had to take a guess that the URL was sunlife.ca. I made this guess based on thebandr.com being a Toronto institution. In this case, saving a new login manually seemed to work for me. Could you give that a try and see if it works for you?

Thanks again, John. Let us know how things go for you.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.