When I click Install Browser Extensions under 1Password, Safari can't connect with agilebits.

Options
dr_ed_cannon
dr_ed_cannon
Community Member

I just purchased an upgrade to 1Password 6.1 Mac. My old Safari extension will no longer work. When I attempt to install a new extension by clicking Install Browser Extensions in 1Password, I get an error message in Safari saying "Safari can't open the page "https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions" because Safari cannot establish a secure connection to the server agile bits.com." I have tried restarting Safari (Version 9.1). My internet connection is up and working. What's the problem here?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:When I click "Install Browser Extensions" under 1Password, Safari can't connect with Agile Bits.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dr_ed_cannon,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with the extension!

It will help if you can let us know a few more details about your setup and the problem:

• What version of the 1Password app were you using before upgrading to 6.1?
    • What happens when you try to use the older extension?
    • Is the older extension still installed in Safari?
    • If so, what is the exact version of the older extension? (In Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions and select the 1Password extension to find the version.)
    • Do you get the error message right away when our extension download site tries to open in Safari?
    • Instead of downloading the extension from our own site, are you able to install it from the Safari Extension Gallery? (You can open the Safari Extension Gallery by going to Safari > Safari Extensions... in the Safari menu bar.)

Thanks in advance! :)

• dr_ed_cannon
    dr_ed_cannon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response!

• Now that I look at 1Password versions, I probably wasted my money upgrading. The "old" version was 1Password version 6.1. The "new" version is 1Password 6 version 6.1. I assume that's the same thing and I fell for the upgrade ad, right?
    • When I tried the older extension in Safari, I just got a blank page.
    • No, I have uninstalled the older version of the Safari extension.
    • N/A
    • Yes, the error message appears in about 0.5 second after clicking "Install Browser Extensions..."
    • Voila! The Safari extension loaded instantly from the Safari Extension Gallery, and it works fine! I might have never thought of trying that if you hadn't suggested it. Thank you!
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dr_ed_cannon,

I'm glad you were able to install the extension from the Safari Extension Gallery!

As far as your upgrade, 1Password 6 is the latest (specifically, 6.1). If you had a license for 1Password 4/5 for Mac, the upgrade for version 6 is completely free. We certainly don't want you to have wasted your money! If you made a purchase from our AgileBits Store within the last 30 days, we can refund that ourselves if you already had a valid license for 1Password 6.

I searched our system for the email address from your forum account, and I found a license for 1Password 6 for Mac which was registered a few days ago, but it doesn't show that you made a purchase from our site - did you perhaps receive that license as part of a Parallels bundle? If your new purchase was from our web store and you need a refund for that, please send us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com in case we need any information (like a different email address, order number, receipt, etc) that shouldn't be posted on these public forums. Please also include a link to this forum discussion and your forum username so we can "connect the dots". Thanks! :)

• dr_ed_cannon
    dr_ed_cannon
    Community Member
    Options

Oops! I declared victory too soon. The Safari extension is opening the older version of 1Password. When I go to Finder and open 1Password 6 from there, I can't open the app. It will not accept my password, no matter which

• dr_ed_cannon
    dr_ed_cannon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Drew. My purchase was part of a bundle. I'll see if the vendor will refund the $, sines I really don't need or use the other apps. Thanks for all your help. Best tech support I've encountered in quite a while!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dr_ed_cannon,

Can you try searching for the text 1Password in Spotlight please. Do the results show more than one copy of 1Password? There is the issue that 1Password mini, a key part of 1Password and the helper process that the browser extension connects to is launched by OS X, specifically something called launchd. What we can't do is say "OS X, see this copy of 1Password mini here in the /Applications/ folder? use this." Instead we say "OS X here's the bundle ID for 1Password mini" but this ID is the same in every copy so OS X may launch the right copy or it might find another copy and launch that instead.

If for some reason, purposely or accidentally, you have both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store version it can even mean you see two different vaults but if you purchased 1Password as part of a bundle it will be the AgileBits Store version so that should hopefully mean we don't have to worry about that.

Let's see if Spotlight says you have more than one copy and we can take it from there :smile:

This discussion has been closed.