Bugs, Features, and other thoughts for Android.

MattAttack
MattAttack
Community Member

I have been using 1Password 4 for Android, and I think it works well for what it is. I just wanted to provide some feedback of the things I have noticed, and was referred to do so from a response on the Google Play Store.

Bugs:
1.) In the hamburger menu, when you have selected folders and push the system back button, it prompts to exit 1Password. Ideally it should work like the other menu items (Favorites, & Categories) and suspend 1Password in the background.
2.) Custom icons added to 1Password on Mac/Windows do not show up in the app, instead the default lock icon appears.
3.) Ability to select specific parts of the notes field, without having to edit the field. Example: I would like to select just the account number XXXXXX when stored like "Account #: XXXXXXX" but without editing, I can only copy the whole text.

Features Wanted:
1.) Fingerprint support
2.) Material design
3.) Ability to add OTP
4.) OPVault support (through Dropbox sync)
5.) Android Wear support (would love to see OTP codes on wrist)
6.) Google Drive support across all platforms.
7.) Global search in the app when auto filling app, instead of the browse only option.
8.) Ability to add apps to login, instead of searching. Add a prompt that ask to store app in login?
9.) Better auto fill option.
10.) Better keyboard.
11.) Multiple vault support
12.) Ability to order logins with digits first.

Other Items:
1.) This might tie into the Material design feature above, but the hamburger menu has a lot of useless space. Looks like a great way to add categories on the hamburger menu instead of empty space. (Hopefully it is descriptive enough, as I couldn't take a screenshot of the app. :D)
2.) Is there an option to create a bounty board? I would be willing to put money where my mouth is for features to be added asap.
3.) Is there insight that could be provided on the Android team, compared to the iOS team? I just would like some insight into the differences of each mobile platform, as I constantly see emails from the blog about iOS has been updated again, and again. Yet Android rarely gets updated. Example, is that iOS already supports 1Password for Teams and Android is still working on it.
4.) A public roadmap? The company I work for has a public roadmap that shows our clients what we are working on at the moment. While it doesn't have ETA's (which I would not want) but it shows them that their feedback is being heard and actively being pursued, or put on hold based on certain reasons.

Thank you for taking the time to read these questions and thoughts. I appreciate your hard work on an excellent product and as you continue to make it better and better.

1Password Version: Android 4.5.3, OSX 5.4.1 (541003), Win 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.1 (15B42), Win 10.0.10586
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Hi;
    This is more a question than a comment. I want to use 1pw on my Android. It uses the dropbox db and works fine. However, the master password, which as you suggest is not easy to guess, must be entered each time i leave the particular app, even when i return to it after looking at something else. Just entering the pw is a real bother as it is easy to mistype some characters. I can lock the app by using a simple pin code, but that does not make it usable without specifying the pw each time. There must be a simpler way. Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I'd hate to enter a simple acceptable pw just to get around this problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hjhermans: Sorry for the trouble! (Un)fortunately your Master Password is crucial to your security, since it is used to encrypt your 1Password data. We're definitely exploring ways to make it more convenient, but only if we can do so without sacrificing security. But I encourage you to take a look at your security settings in the app. It may not be necessary to have it lock on exit, for example.

1Password can be used by anyone to help make it easier to login to websites, but the most important thing is that you can securely store sensitive information. Otherwise, you'd just be putting all your eggs into an incredibly insecure basket. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015

I have been using 1Password 4 for Android, and I think it works well for what it is. I just wanted to provide some feedback of the things I have noticed, and was referred to do so from a response on the Google Play Store.

@MattAttack: Awesome! First of all, thanks for taking the time to leave such extensive feedback. It's really awesome to hear about how people use 1Password currently (and want to in the future) in detail! :chuffed:

Thanks for bringing up those issues and feature requests. I'll pass this on to the development team. No promises, but I know that many of the items in your wishlist are in ours as well! ;)

ref: OPA-42, OPA-106, OPA-102, OPA-321, OPA-626; OPA-262, OPA-514, OPA-16, OPA-61;;; OPA-97;

However, can you clarify #8-10?

8.) Ability to add apps to login, instead of searching. Add a prompt that ask to store app in login?
    10.) Better keyboard.

I'd like to understand exactly what you're asking for here, so I can pass that feedback along as well. For example, "better" in what way?

Right now we plan on sticking with search rather than adding a bunch of sorting options, but I'd appreciate if you could elaborate a bit on how you'd envision this option helping. Maybe there's something else we should consider.

1.) This might tie into the Material design feature above, but the hamburger menu has a lot of useless space. Looks like a great way to add categories on the hamburger menu instead of empty space. (Hopefully it is descriptive enough, as I couldn't take a screenshot of the app. :D)

Indeed. This is one area with room — literally — for improvement. I wonder what we could use that space for... :crazy:

2.) Is there an option to create a bounty board? I would be willing to put money where my mouth is for features to be added asap.

This isn't something we do currently. And while I'm not sure it's a good fit for us, we can certainly consider your suggestion in the future.

3.) Is there insight that could be provided on the Android team, compared to the iOS team? I just would like some insight into the differences of each mobile platform, as I constantly see emails from the blog about iOS has been updated again, and again. Yet Android rarely gets updated. Example, is that iOS already supports 1Password for Teams and Android is still working on it.

No. Not really at all. Sorry! :unamused:

Just kidding! We'd definitely like to do more blog posts. We've been heads down, hard at work though, but hopefully we'll have some news for you sometime Soon™! :sunglasses:

Regarding 1Password for Teams, (un)fortunately we're trying to test thoroughly and roll it out slowly (currently less than half of our platforms support it). But rest assured that we're as anxious as you are to get a new 1Password for Android release with Teams goodness — probably moreso! :eh:

4.) A public roadmap? The company I work for has a public roadmap that shows our clients what we are working on at the moment. While it doesn't have ETA's (which I would not want) but it shows them that their feedback is being heard and actively being pursued, or put on hold based on certain reasons.

This really isn't something we can do though, as plans do change; and this would create a great deal of expectation and anticipation...only for delays or development shifts to dash it all! I know how bummed we are when something cool doesn't work out and we have to kill it, and we'd really hate to spread that to you and the rest of our awesome customers! The disappointment would be exponential.

Wow, that went somewhere dark...

The flipside is that by not preannouncing plans and cool new updates most of the time, we're able to surprise you...and of course then we're thrilled when we get a great response. There are just too many upsides, and it's too much fun for us to give up willingly. Occasionally, we'll have a good excuse to share something in advance (like the 1Password for Teams beta and the Windows Modern alpha) though, and then you might see announcements on our blog. ;)

Edit: I also meant to mention that roadmaps are difficult in general, since we don't have access to platform roadmaps ourselves, and things can change rather quickly. For example, earlier this year Google suddenly sprung Android M fingerprint unlock on us. That definitely wasn't on our roadmap at the time. :lol:

Thank you for taking the time to read these questions and thoughts. I appreciate your hard work on an excellent product and as you continue to make it better and better.

I'm not even sure I can say "You're welcome" and keep a straight face, because we really couldn't do what we do without the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers! And it's always a privilege to get this kind of passionate feedback. I look forward to hearing more! :chuffed:

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. Changing the security setting makes a big difference. However adding a pin did not do anything. (Not a problem)

• The PIN Code allows you to create a short numerical passcode to unlock your vault. With this feature enabled, every time you return back to 1Password from the background, you will only be required to enter your PIN Code to access your data. If 1Password exits from the background, your master password will be required. Is this the behaviour you are seeing with PIN Code enabled?

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member

Yes, that's what i think it looks like. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! I'm glad to hear that it's working as expected at least. Sorry for any confusion! :)

• MattAttack
    MattAttack
    Community Member

@brenty, thanks for the follow up.

I have tried to add clarification to some of the points you brought up.

Some of my apps do not register on my login list when using the auto fill feature. An example is my bank app, this doesn't appear on the list and I have to search, same with my universities portal login as well. When you have a large list, it make it annoying having to scroll through the whole list. When the letters start with a "U".

I find the option to switch between keyboards cumbersome. I know this is limitations of the OS, and not necessarily the app. But creative minds can always overcome limitations. Internally, have you seen other options besides the first auto fill hover box you tested in the first auto fill beta?

10.) Better keyboard.

If the keyboard is the only viable option, it needs to be "cleaned" up in my mind. There are some artifact issues. Where certain styles overlap other keyboard letters like space and the 1PW icon, the 1PW icon doesn't appear sometimes (non-beta app). Adding the ability to quick press 'Q' to have a pop up of the number 1, or have a row of numbers above the 'QWERTY' making entering my master password easier.

This is more about consistency, than anything else. With 1PW for OSX & Windows all my items are sorted with the option "Numbers and symbols are sorted first" checked.

I appreciate your feedback on some of my other thoughts about the bounty board, public roadmap, and insights on the team. I am excited for more feature parity with 1PW-Android as I love how easy it has made managing my life and passwords on the go. I am really excited to see where the journey goes. Thanks again for the feedback and insights.

• SandManHooHa
    SandManHooHa
    Community Member

10.) Better keyboard.

I had been considering a switch from LastPass to 1Password and recently purchased it. I must say that the Android app is lacking compared to the LastPass offering ( configurable timeout, hovering autologin, app association, multi-url support etc). Here are some more specific thoughts/questions..

1) I glanced through the topic about the keyboard selection by Dev team instead of a hovering box over each app. Any thoughts on if and how LastPass overcame the concerns you have?
    2) The keyboard is very basic. Why not take the AOSP keyboard and tweak that instead of builiding it from scratch?

• peri
    edited December 2015

Thanks for the clarification on your points, @MattAttack. :)

Some of my apps do not register on my login list when using the auto fill feature. An example is my bank app, this doesn't appear on the list and I have to search, same with my universities portal login as well.

Could you let us know what apps and/or URLs are not being detected? We can test them out on our end and see if there's a solution, or file a bug report.

When you have a large list, it make it annoying having to scroll through the whole list. When the letters start with a "U".

You should be able to search the list by tapping the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner of the Browser Logins screen. Are you not seeing that search option?

I find the option to switch between keyboards cumbersome. I know this is limitations of the OS, and not necessarily the app. But creative minds can always overcome limitations. Internally, have you seen other options besides the first auto fill hover box you tested in the first auto fill beta?

We do have some creative minds on the team, thankfully! We've gotten lots of feedback regarding the filling implementation--mostly good, but some criticism. We're hoping to improve this in the future.

As to alternatives, we've gotten some interesting requests that we plan on revisiting soon. For instance, some users have requested 1Password integration with SwiftKey. We'll consider all options when we revisit our filling implementation.

If the keyboard is the only viable option, it needs to be "cleaned" up in my mind.

We would indeed love to improve our existing 1Password keyboard. We've received requests for alternate layouts, adding numbers to the top row, and adding other modern keyboard features. I'll go ahead and add your vote for these improvements. :)

This is more about consistency, than anything else. With 1PW for OSX & Windows all my items are sorted with the option "Numbers and symbols are sorted first" checked.

I'll go ahead and pass this along to the team!

@SandManHooHa. I'll be happy to address your concerns as well.

1) I glanced through the topic about the keyboard selection by Dev team instead of a hovering box over each app. Any thoughts on if and how LastPass overcame the concerns you have?

Unfortunately I'm not qualified, or knowledgeable enough to speak to how LastPass works, and I wouldn't want to do them an disservice by posting any misinformation. I can say that when we tested out the Lollipop filling option we had previously considered, we found several problems with filling, which meant that filling would only work about half of the time. For the times when filling wouldn't work, we were left with the option to either automate copying to and pasting from the clipboard (which is something we wouldn't want to do), or going with the keyboard. Since the keyboard was the most versatile filling solution we found, we decided to go with that implementation.

If there are any improvements you'd like to see with regards to filling, please let us know!

2) The keyboard is very basic. Why not take the AOSP keyboard and tweak that instead of building it from scratch?

As I mention above in my response to MattAttack improving the keyboard is indeed something we'd love to do. I'll pass your feedback on this along to the dev team. :)

Thanks so much for the feedback you guys, and let us know if you have more questions or comments!

• SandManHooHa
    SandManHooHa
    Community Member

It's great that the Android beta has been moved to Play Store and we're seeing updates with some consistency. Are there any updates on the major items from this list? I think there are two things that bug me the most on the android app,

1) Keyboard - the suggestions are there in the previous posts.
    2) App association - it's so frustrating that I have to repeatedly search for a lot of my logins. I believe it can be solved with a simple mechanism to allow people to associate logins with apps (adding additional URLs underneath) and having a universal registry of these so everyone can benefit. For example, Wells Fargo bank's app isn't recognized and the url looks something like 'com.wf.wellsfargo...'. If a user could create this association and then share with others, it would make life a lot easier :)

• Hey @SandManHooHa. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the frequent updates! We're so proud of the team for the awesome progress they've been making.

That said, unfortunately don't have any updates on these two features at the moment. We still want to improve these two areas, but I can't say when that will happen.

We'll keep you updated when we do have news, though!

This discussion has been closed.