Your thoughts about former Safe Harbour and the probably coming EU Privacy Shield

Options
dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Business and Teams

According to the Data Protection Directive, companies operating in the European Union are not permitted to send personal data to “third countries” outside the European Economic Area, unless they guarantee adequate levels of protection. With the fall of Safe Harbor there are currently legal cases against companies that transfered their data.

I am not a layer but I guess your Team plans will fall under that data protection laws and European companies that intend to use your service could fear legal action against them.

As I understand you use Amazon storage and their servers are in the USA. Maybe your service could fall under the likely successor EU-US Privacy Shield Agreement.

Do you have any legal advise ready for that area?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As I understand you use Amazon storage and their servers are in the USA. Maybe your service could fall under the likely successor EU-US Privacy Shield Agreement.

@dahanbn: I think you may be right...but we're really not qualified to offer legal advice — especially for those in other countries with very different laws. The best thing would be for any organization or individual faced with regulatory compliance concerns would be for them to consult their legal counsel, and then there may be specific concerns we can address, but from a technical standpoint, rather than legal.

• AWS had post about Safe Harbour recently:
    https://blogs.aws.amazon.com/security/post/Tx3QAALRNBIK9K1/Customer-Update-AWS-and-EU-Safe-Harbor

Not sure if this helps.

We are also looking at the possibility of adding multiple geographical zones (at the moment, all data us stored in AWS US East).

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem Will there then be an option the change the region? If you implement this?

• @ntimo This is just an idea at the moment. If we ever decide to do this then the regions will probably be completely independent.

This discussion has been closed.