Importing into 1Password Teams

Options
kimthiel
kimthiel
Community Member
edited March 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have done some reading and I believe I have to import using the 1password desktop app. in order to get that password data into the 1password Web team on your servers. However the instructions for converting my file from keepass2 into a convert_to_1p4 file requires the use of strawberry pearl which was not included in the zip file along with everything else. as stated here

"3a. unzip the Strawberry Perl archive and place the unzipped archive as the folder: C:\myperl (right click the archive, Extract All, and enter C:\myperl
as the Destination path). When the unzip has completed, you can delete the zip file.
3b. Enter the following command into Window’s Search programs and files box C:\myperl\portableshell.bat and hit Enter. This will open a
command window with the required PATH variables set."

Since downloading pearl from any other source does not include portableshell.bat this will never work as instructed.

There has got to be an easier way to get this data up on your servers from keepass2.

1Password Version: chrome Version 1.0.BETA.74-0
Extension Version: 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.5.
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:import, kb:teams-faq, kb-search:import from other applications, kb:import, kb:create-csv-files

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @kimthiel,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with converting your data. We are working on adding better and simple import support for Teams but it may take some time.

Did you read the included PDF file in the zip file that mentioned you would need to download Strawberry Perl separately?

If there is no PDF file, please download the latest zip file from here and open the README.pdf file for the instructions.

/cc @MrC

• kimthiel
    kimthiel
    Community Member
    Options

MrC

I went back and went through the information again and was able to install strawberry pearl and set that up correctly. However when I ran the command to convert for Keepass 2 from the CSV I exported from Keepass2 it failed. Even if I do get this converted is there a way to get this up on 1password Team on the web?

This is the error I got:

C:\Users\kim\Desktop\convert_to_1p4>perl convert_to_1p4.pl keepass2 -v C:\Users\
    kim\Desktop\convert_to_1p4\customers.csv
    Uncaught exception from user code:

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1, column 9, byte 9:
        "Account","Login Name","Password","Web Site","Comments"
        ========^
        "internal","User Name","Password","file://{DB_DIR}/internal/test.txt","N

otes"
    "customers","Michael321","12345","file://{DB_DIR}/customers/test.txt",""

at C:/myperal/perl/vendor/lib/XML/Parser.pm line 187.
        XML::Parser::parsefile(XML::Parser=HASH(0x3445330), "C:\\Users\\kim\\Des

ktop\convert_to_1p4\customers.csv") called at C:/myperal/perl/site/lib/XML/XPa
    th/XMLParser.pm line 71
    XML::XPath::XMLParser::parse(XML::XPath::XMLParser=HASH(0x38c38c0)) call
    ed at C:/myperal/perl/site/lib/XML/XPath.pm line 154
    XML::XPath::find(XML::XPath=HASH(0x3aab048), "/KeePassFile/Meta/Binaries
    /Binary", undef) called at C:/myperal/perl/site/lib/XML/XPath.pm line 176
    XML::XPath::findnodes(XML::XPath=HASH(0x3aab048), "/KeePassFile/Meta/Bin
    aries/Binary") called at Converters/Keepass2.pm line 61
    Converters::Keepass2::do_import("C:\Users\kim\Desktop\convert_to_1p4
    \customers.csv", undef) called at convert_to_1p4.pl line 123

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@kimthiel ,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been swamped all day.

The KeePass2 converter uses a KeePass2 XML export, not CSV. As per the README's KeePass2 export section:

● Keepass 2

Launch KeePass 2, and export its database to an XML export file using the File > Export ... menu item, and select the KeePass XML (2.x) format. In the File: Export to: section at the bottom of the dialog, click the floppy disk icon to select the location. Select your Desktop folder, and in the File name area, enter the name pm_export.txt. Click Save, and you should now have your data exported as an XML file by the name above on your Desktop. You may now quit KeePass 2.

The converter will decode and convert an entry’s attachments. They are placed in a folder named 1P4_Attachments in the same location that the 1P4_import.1pif file will be created. An entry’s attachments are placed in a sub-directory named with the entry’s Title.

And just as background info about Strawberry Perl not being included in the zip, it is large, and not everyone needs it, esp. OS X users.

• kimthiel
    kimthiel
    Community Member
    Options

Ok you had me all the way to getting the file pm_export.txt on my desktop. I'm unclear what that was supposed to do as it would not run in the converter. However I was able to save the file as an XML under a different name and was able to import that file into Password 4. But it separated all the login entries out of the groups they were in. We have clients based on groups and many login entries for each group.

Also I had asked if I got this import in a way I could use it in Password 4. I still need to know if this could be added to our Web Based Password1 for Teams. I'm not seeing any option to import into the web based version.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @kimthiel ,

Ok, it sounds like you've not converted. Good.

KeePass' groups are saved as Tags by the converter. You can also force the creation of Folders. Add the --folders option to the conversion command string:

Option: --folders

The --folders option supports the creation of Folders in 1Password, and places your records into the same folder hierarchy as supported in your password manager. This feature is disabled by default, because the converter is unaware of existing folders in your vault. If you use this option, all Folder names existing in the vault are ignored, and the converter will create new Folders, possibly with names identical to those already in your vault. In addition, re-running the converter and re-importing will duplicate the Folder names, since new unique folder identifiers are created each time the converter is run. For best results, import converted data only into a fresh vault.

I'll let the AgileBits folks address how to get your data into 1P for Teams. I'm pretty sure it won't be via the web.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kimthiel: Sorry for the confusion! Indeed, the 1Password for Teams web interface does not currently have an import feature, though it may be something we can add in the future.

Unfortunately the 1Password for Windows desktop app does not yet support 1Password for Teams. We have a 1Password for Windows 10 beta app, but of course that will not work on a Windows 7 machine. Do you have a Mac or a Windows 10 PC that you could use to migrate to 1Password for Teams?

• kimthiel
    kimthiel
    Community Member
    Options

I did obtain a Windows 10 for testing. I installed the 1Password app for Windows 10 and I did not see a way to import into it except as a folder and that imported the data without the folder. I did not saee any option to import the folders. Still importing ot actually connecting a folder is not what I want.

At this point we are testing only and my superior does not want me testing in the team shared area. I have been given instructions only to work in my Private folder at this time. So your telling me I can take the data from my 1pa4sword 4 desktop app and get that data into 1passord for teams up on the web and not in a folder that is just linked from computer. This would need to retain the folders as we have many clients with separate data for each client. Further more would this data once uploaded be available to the team through their various browsers? Much of your team does not use Windows or OSX for hat matter.

Also now that I have a folder linked that did not retain the groups which makes it useless how do I remove the folder from Win 10 password app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So your telling me I can take the data from my 1pa4sword 4 desktop app and get that data into 1passord for teams up on the web and not in a folder that is just linked from computer.

@kimthiel: Yep! Once you've loaded both the local vault and logged into 1Password Teams, you can copy the data over:

Migrating to 1Password Teams

This would need to retain the folders as we have many clients with separate data for each client.

Folders are not supported in 1Password Teams, but you can use tags to organize data. However,
    using separate vaults for different clients would be better for sharing and more secure. After all, probably not everyone needs access to every client's data at all times. So you can make a vault with Client A's data and share it with only Employees Y and Z for example.

Further more would this data once uploaded be available to the team through their various browsers? Much of your team does not use Windows or OSX for hat matter.

Indeed. Vaults in 1Password Teams are accessible through the web interface. Each person has their own login, Master Password, and Account Key, a Personal vault, access to the default Shared vault, and then can access any unique vaults that are shared with them.

Also now that I have a folder linked that did not retain the groups which makes it useless how do I remove the folder from Win 10 password app.

Can you tell me what you mean by "groups"? If you want to remove a vault from the Windows 10 app, just right-click it and select that option.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kimthiel
    kimthiel
    Community Member
    Options

I agree on the issue of using tags to separate clients. I have run into some inconsistencies with searching with tags. Also I noticed that the Win 10 app does not list tags in the left column. I believe that there were no limits to how many vaults can be created, is that correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree on the issue of using tags to separate clients. I have run into some inconsistencies with searching with tags. Also I noticed that the Win 10 app does not list tags in the left column.

@kimthiel: We're still working on the tag feature in the 1Password for Windows beta app, but if you find any bugs or inconsistencies please let us know so we can address them! :)

I believe that there were no limits to how many vaults can be created, is that correct?

Correct! While obviously it can become a bit unwieldy if you have dozens of vaults, we're working on improving the interface for that too, since we're all going to only get more and more vaults over time. ;)

• twizzhead
    twizzhead
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I was successfully able to convert my KeePass2 file to the 1Password format. However, the only computer I currently have is a Windows 7 PC and I am using Teams. (No native app.) I've also discovered that there is no way to import the 1Password output into the web interface. My question is, is the "1P_import.1pif" file that the script outputs encrypted? I do have an iPhone that is synced to my Dropbox, so I could but the file in my Dropbox and sync it to my iPhone and import that way. However, there doesn't appear to be a way to import a file on the iOS app. Any other suggestions?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @twizzhead ,

The 1pif file is not encrypted, so be safe with it.

You need 1Password for Mac, or 1Password 4 for Windows to import. I dont know that the other deskop versions work yet. You cannot import the 1pif into iOS.

Can you sync to Dropbox?

• twizzhead
    twizzhead
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @MrC ,

Thanks for the quick response! I can sync to Dropbox, but given that the file is not encrypted, I don't really want to sync to any cloud services. I should further explain my situation. I signed up for 1Password Families this afternoon and I was trying to import my current KeePass Database into my 1Password Families account. I'm assuming that you asking in case I already have access to a 1Password4 app for Windows?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options

@twizzhead ,

Use 1password 4 to import, sync to dropbox, then sync dropbox with 1Password Families.

https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer-dropbox.html

You can use the trial version.

• twizzhead
    twizzhead
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Yep, that worked! Thanks @MrC ! Any recommendation on a program to use for securely deleting the leftover import files? I've used Eraser before from Download.com, but it's the not the easiest program to use.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@twizzhead ,

Excellent!

Maybe one of these helps?

• twizzhead
    twizzhead
    Community Member
    Options

For AgileBits, I would suggest that a note be placed at the top of the Importing article (see below) that these work-arounds are necessary for the time being.

https://support.1password.com/import/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear that you were able to convert the data so that 1Password could import it. We do have a link to the data converter in the article, but we can certainly consider organizing it differently. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.