Move vs Copy

wiedemag
wiedemag
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Families

I have an originally AGBits purchased 1password desktop app that is filled with 800 items.
I just setup a family account with just my wife and I.

1) Other than the obvious, what are the advantages and disadvantages of migrating items from my desktop app to the family account when the options are "move" vs "copy"?
2) Now that I have a family account should I stop the syncing with dropbox or change to something else?

Thanks
Geoff Wiedeman
[phone number removed by AgileBits]

1Password Version: 6.2BETA-10
Extension Version: 4.5.4
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:teams-families-setup, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:teams-faq-existing-user, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

hi @wiedemag

Firstly, use the copy to copy all you items into your family vault. After having double checked that you let nothing behind, you can i you want, delete all your items on your local vault.
    I will invite you to read the blog article How to migrate to a Family account

For your question 2, you can stop the sync and delete your local vault if you don't want to use it anymore.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

Hi @wiedemag,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the forum with your questions! Glad to see that Spinacle already responded to you. I'll just add in a bit more for good measure. :)

Other than the obvious, what are the advantages and disadvantages of migrating items from my desktop app to the family account when the options are "move" vs "copy"?

The difference between copy and move is that when you copy an item it will then exist in 2 places, and when you move an item, it goes to the destination vault and is deleted from the original vault. I will mention that if you copy an item from vault 1 to vault 2, and then edit that item in vault 1, those edits will not automatically show up on that item in vault 2, as the copied items are not linked in any way. So it tends to be cleaner and simpler not to keep multiple copies of items around.

It's completely up to you what you want to do, but many folks find it simpler to migrate (i.e., move) all their data from their older standalone ("Primary," for instance) vaults into their Families vaults and stop using the standalone vaults. If you'd like to go this route, first copy or move all your data into your Families vaults ( per the article that Spinacle helpfully linked to :) ). Then if you'd like to remove your Primary vault from 1Password altogether, you can follow these steps to Start Over and then sign in with just your Families account.

Now that I have a family account should I stop the syncing with dropbox or change to something else?

With Families vaults, you don't have any sync settings to worry about, as they sync over our server automatically.

I hope this helps! Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions. We're here for you!

• wiedemag
    wiedemag
    Community Member

Yes, but if one should decide to leave the family account and go back to individual accounts, as I understand, it there exists now way to migrate the items from the family account back to an individual account....correct?

• wiedemag
    wiedemag
    Community Member

Also...already saw the article to which Spinnacle referred (thank you), but thought that the pros and cons of each method in that article were not fully explained.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely, @wiedemag! Moving items out of Families vaults is exactly as easy as moving them in. You can also export the contents of any vault, Families or otherwise.

Your data is yours to do with whatever you want, and we'll never try to keep it from you. Even if your Families account lapses into read-only mode, you'll still be able to easily access and export the data you've saved there.

• wiedemag
    wiedemag
    Community Member

So are Jeff Shiner's comments here (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/280574#Comment_280574) no longer valid having been fixed in a 1password update?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wiedemag: Not exactly, but the default Shared vault can now be deleted. Then you can create a new vault to share with only those you wish. I hope this helps! :)

• wiedemag
    wiedemag
    Community Member

Brenty...I was referring to this statement made by Jeff Shiner that "For now, you would have to recreate your item back in your personal vault manually and then you could delete it from the Shared vault." Am I to understand that "To recreate them" means that one must still manually reenter them in one's primary (meaning desktop app primary is this the primary vault in the family app?) vault or can the items in fact be successfully moved/copied from the shared vault back into the original desktop app primary vault?

• @wiedemag,

That was in reference to 1Password for Teams. Are we talking about Teams or Families? Families doesn't have the granular level of permissions that Teams does. As such that statement does not apply to Families.

Ben

• wiedemag
    wiedemag
    Community Member

bwoodruf...Thanks so much for that clarification....obvious but still I missed it.

• No worries. :) Glad to hear that helped.

Ben

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wiedemag,

I also want to mention that my previous comments were made under the assumption that you were the Owner of your Family account, and even with the differences between Teams and Families, Jeff Shiner was referring to Team Members, which have more limited permissions than Owners. I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused with that assumption.

• wiedemag
    wiedemag
    Community Member

Vee...Indeed I am the owner. Thanks for your help.

• @wiedemag

You're most welcome! If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.