Authentication error when trying to re-enable iCloud sync

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: iCloud sync failure - Authentication Error.

Comments

• robinbutton
    robinbutton
    Community Member

I just realized that none of my devices contained the latest 1password logins, and syncing wasn't happening. I am getting an authentication error. Has anyone else reported problems recently? I am running the latest version of IOS ... just updated Yosemite. And latest updates on ipad and iphone. Using 1password 6. And ... the problem is NOT with my Apple ID.

The first time I tried to re-set up the sync, I received an Apple ID verification code through my iphone, which I entered. I got that authentication error. Now, it no longer asks me to submit a verification code.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @robinbutton,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with iCloud sync! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post to a separate discussion as the issue is likely different than the one from the previous thread. That one seems to have been an issue on Apple's side of things which they solved in mid-February (although it's possible the same or similar problem has started again).

Just to make sure I understand the situation: It sounds like you had previously been using iCloud sync in 1Password on your Mac and iOS devices, but just noticed changes were no longer syncing between them. You disabled iCloud sync (or was it already disabled?) and tried to turn it back on again, but you get an authentication error when you do that. Is that all correct?

If so, can you please confirm the exact version of 1Password installed on your Mac? You said you're using 1Password 6, but I don't know if that's on your Mac, iOS devices, or all three. Also, it will help us to know the exact version number - on your Mac, you can find that by opening 1Password and going to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar. In addition to the version number, is that the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version?

If you're using the AgileBits Store version, enabling iCloud sync should take you to a website where you need to sign into your Apple ID. Is that where you're seeing the authentication error? Do you still get the same error if you try again now, even if you don't need to enter a verification code from your iPhone? If you reboot your Mac and try again to enable iCloud sync in 1Password, does the same problem happen?

As far as your iPhone and iPad, are you having any trouble re-enabling iCloud sync in 1Password on those devices? If you were able to turn on iCloud sync on both, are changes to 1Password syncing correctly between them?

Once we know a bit more about your setup and the problem, we'll have a better idea of how to get things working again. Thanks in advance! :)

• robinbutton
    robinbutton
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

Thank you for your detailed response. I haven't tried to sync again since my post, and decided to try again. Previously, I had set the sync up in Dropbox since the icloud wasn't working anymore. But that didn't solve the problem.

I checked to see if the syncing problem was still there, and it was. I then disabled the Dropbox sync on all devices, and set up the icloud sync. This time, it worked. No asking me to authenticate!

Below is a bit more history, in case you are curious .... 8-)

When I noticed the sync was no longer working, I disabled and then enabled it again, thinking that could clear it up. That's when I got the authentication error.

My Mac version is 6.1 (610005). I got it from AgileBits. On my iphone 6 plus, the version is 6.3.1. The version on my ipad is also 6.3.1.

The problem was when I created or edited passwords in my primary account, those edits weren't appearing in my iphone or my ipad.

I had rebooted all 3 and that hadn't helped.

So, instead, I set it up to backup in Dropbox. But that didn't help either, so I posted in this forum.

Thanks for getting back to me! Glad it's behind me! I think it was an Apple problem. I had just upgraded my software when I noticed it.

Robin

• Hi Robin,

We have noticed some errors authenticating with iCloud, that seem to go away after a few days. I'm glad you were able to get it all working. If you have trouble in the future, do not hesitate to let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.