lots of issues possibly need to start over again

rob_5123_hemmelgarn
rob_5123_hemmelgarn
Community Member

i started setting up my account on an iPhone 6, since starting, I received a new Iphone 6. I can not get the old one back. I do not have the account key, as the account was set up in the former phone. I've backed up all of my entries to the cloud. According to what I have read, the account key can not be recovered. I understand that.

Unless there is another way, I would like to start over from scratch. How do I cancel/ delete my current account and set up new one. would like to use the same email address for the new account and possibly the main password. If this can occur, can I then restore my data to the new account?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 9.3
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:lost master key, want to start from scratch can I start a new account with same email and password

Comments

• Hi @rob_5123_hemmelgarn

Thanks for taking the time to write in. You make mention of an account key, but account keys are unique to 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Families accounts. Did/do you have a Teams or Families account, or were you using 1Password stand-alone?

If you were using the app stand-alone, were you syncing it with Dropbox or iCloud? By default, stand-alone, 1Password only stores your data on the device you create it on.

Please let us know.

Ben

• rob_5123_hemmelgarn
    rob_5123_hemmelgarn
    Community Member

Thanks for the response
    I am syncing with the cloud.

This issue actually pooped up when on went in-line on my lap top and had to set up an account and it asked for an ACCOUNT KEY.

I have not yet set up a family vault, but want to.

So it sounds like I don't have an account key and wouldn't get one unless a set up a family vault. Is this correct?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016

@rob_5123_hemmelgarn

I am syncing with the cloud.

Which one? "The cloud" could be either Dropbox or iCloud (or even 1Password for Families or 1Password for Teams). It is really a very generic term.

1Password doesn't sync anywhere by default. Even if your device is configured to sync Mail, Contacts, Calendars, etc with iCloud, or you have Dropbox installed and syncing your documents, you must explicitly set up 1Password to sync with one of those services, if you'd like for it to sync there.

So it sounds like I don't have an account key and wouldn't get one unless a set up a family vault. Is this correct?

Account keys are unique to our 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams services (sometimes collectively called a "1Password Account"). Unless you'd signed up for one of those services you would not have a "1Password Account" or an account key.

I would like to start over from scratch

What screen do you get now when you launch 1Password? Does it give you options like this?

If so you can simply select the "Create a new vault" option to start over. If that isn't the screen you get, then reinstalling 1Password for iOS will get you started fresh:

(iOS) How do I start over with an empty vault?

Once you've got a new vault set up you can sync it with iCloud/Dropbox if you wish:

Sync | 1Password for iOS

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.