change general password

reds
reds
Community Member

Hi,
please I work with two Macs and two Iphone: if I change the general pw in one of two Mac the sync service changes the pw on all other devices or must I do it manually?
Urgent please.
thanks
alessandro

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: os 10.11.4
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@reds if you're referring to changing the master password (which is the password you use to unlock 1Password) you can change that password on one device and the change will sync to the other devices, However, do please note that first you will have to open 1Password on the other devices using your old master password—in order to allow the master password change to sync. Once you have done that and allowed the sync to happen you'll be able to open 1Password on the other devices using your new master password.

Stephen

• reds
    reds
    Community Member

Hi Stephen,
    thanks for the answer. I followed the path and with the Iphones all ok but I have problems on the second Mac.
    I opened it with the old master pw, I waited time and the I closed it: now I try to open 1pw but it's impossible with the old and new master pw both. Note that in the second mac when it show the suggestion for pw, after the second mistake attempt, it is the new suggestion.
    Can I solve it?
    Thanks,
    alessandro

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @reds,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with that master password change!

Just to make sure I understand: It sounds like you changed the master password on one Mac, and that change synced to both iPhones, so you are able to unlock it with the new master password on those three devices. But on the second Mac, you can't unlock 1Password at all because neither the old nor new master password will work. Also, the hint you see on the second Mac is the hint for the new master password. Is that correct?

If so, it sounds like the change to your master password has synced to the second Mac, since you're seeing the new password hint. That explains why the old master password no longer works, but I don't know why the new one isn't working. However, there are a few tips that might help, which are described here: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

Do any of the suggestions there help? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• reds
    reds
    Community Member

Hi Drew,
    all is correct excepted the fact that the full sync has been done on the second Mac: this is a deduction depending by the new hint but I can not say this think certainty.
    The tips, on the post you suggest, are useless.
    Well:
    we wait for tomorrow, to see if some solution comes out by the blog;
    if nothing happens, I need of work with the second Mac (it's an air and I must go around with it), so it may be a solution to do a full uninstalling of 1PW and re-install all?
    Thanks,
    alessandro

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @reds,

I'm sorry the suggestions on that page didn't help!

Do you by any chance have any special characters in your new master password? If so, that might have something to do with the problem because non-ASCII characters often work differently on different systems. We explain more about that here: Should I use special characters in my Master Password?

If you're still unable to unlock 1Password on your second Mac, the best way to get things working there is to reset 1Password on that Mac so you can start over and re-sync your data via iCloud. This will only reset the 1Password data on that one Mac, your other devices won't be affected. You can do that by following the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

After you do that, when you open the 1Password app on your Mac again, it should take you through a setup procedure, and you'll be able to choose to sync your data from iCloud. We describe how to do that in the user guide here: Use existing 1Password data on a new computer

When you do that, does it accept your new master password?

• reds
    reds
    Community Member

Hi,
    ok I solved the problem with the procedure suggested.
    Thanks, bye
    alessandro

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Alessandro ( @reds ),

Thanks so much for letting us know you're all set up!

If you have any other questions about 1Password, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.