Unable to view information I enter into 1Password

1Password (in app) on Mac will not allow me to see what I am typing or editing until I leave the entry box. No phone number to call for support???

1Password Version: Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• cdnsledder
    cdnsledder
    Community Member

Would like to upload a photo of the issue, which would clearly show what is the issue but apparently this forum doesn't play well with safari... great...

• cdnsledder
    cdnsledder
    Community Member

Success!

So, per the image, I have a bunch of text I entered in the text box but I can't see it until I clock of there

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@cdnsledder as your post relates to 1P3 for Mac I have moved the post from the 1Password for Mac forum to the 1P3 legacy forum where you will get more help.

I think the best place to start is to read the AgileBits' posts in this sticky at the top of the forum.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cdnsledder,

If you've read the post Stephen_C linked you to you'll have already discovered about the compatibility issues between the latest version of OS X and the not quite so new 1Password 3 for Mac. Sadly options are limited at this point which we cover at the bottom of that thread. Obviously it's not fun to find out you have to upgrade but hopefully you find the improvements and bug fixes we've made since 1Password 3 are worth it. If you have any questions at all please do ask.

• cdnsledder
    cdnsledder
    Community Member

Well that's disappointing. I guess they kind of force you into buying new versions. Thank you both for getting back to me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cdnsledder,

I do apologize for the frustration, and for making you feel like you're being forced to upgrade. There is one thing that drives us at AgileBits, and that's always trying to do what's best for our customers. Many, many people entrust their secrets to 1Password, and so one of the things that's best for our customers is for us to stay in business.

One way for us to do that is to continue improving 1Password and offering our customers the best possible experience. To do this, we build 1Password to take advantage of the latest OS X features and developer tools that Apple gives us. At some point, it becomes necessary to stop updating old versions of 1Password and focus on moving forward.

1Password 3 reached the end of its development cycle over 3.5 years ago. To date, we have many customers that continue to use older versions of OS X; since the 1Password 3 license they purchased never expires, they happily continue to use that version without problems. We are happy to continue supporting our customers using legacy versions, as much as we can and for as long as users are still relying on them.

As an existing customer, you are entitled to a loyalty discount on your upgrade. It's our way of showing our appreciation for your support. Simply enter your license code on our upgrade page at:
    https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade

I think you'll find that the latest version of 1Password is a worthwhile upgrade, and I look forward to hearing what you think of it. Thanks so much for choosing 1Password!

• cdnsledder
    cdnsledder
    Community Member

Thank you for your communication. I love holding onto my money :) but I recognize that it costs money to introduce new products that work better than previous generations. Can't buy one car and expect it to be upgraded next year for free. Your Canadian too which is extra worth it. Thanks again for your message.
    Lee

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, no shame in being discerning about where you spend your hard-earned money! ;)

And that makes it all the more kind of you to choose to continue to support us by purchasing 1Password. We couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our awesome customer. Thank you! :chuffed:

• drgeb
    drgeb
    Community Member

I am observing the same issue.
    However if I install this same version on a clean image using VMWare then the issue does not appear and the fonts are ok.
    I am not sure with 1Password which configuration files are used to tell it which font style to use so I can delete this and install again to continue using 1Password v3. Right now I am out of a job so can't afford to upgrade at all!

At the same time I need to be able to view my passwords to login to sites to apply for a job.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drgeb: I'm not sure I understand the issue you're having. In 1Password 3 on El Capitan you can still view (and more importantly copy) the password from the item details:

The item titles that become invisible (you can still select, copy, and paste though) when editing. 1Password's fonts are not configurable. They're inherited from OS X. It's odd that this wouldn't happen in a VM though. I haven't run El Capitan in a VM myself, only older OSes.

If you're still having trouble, could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance! :)

• drgeb
    drgeb
    Community Member

Hi Brent,
    Whenever I edit an entry and I double click on any entry box, the whole box becomes pink and anything that I type I can not visually see what is being typed or even where the cursor is at. I have enclosed an image capture to show the issue I am having with display. In this example I am trying to the enter or edit the Title.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drgeb,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password 3. I can certainly see how it would be frustrating to be fighting with software while you are also job searching.

Unfortunately, 1Password 3 is no longer in active development, and as operating systems grow and change, the app will start to show its age. You're right, there are some glitches with respect to editing entries, but as Brenty says, the good news is that you can still view and use your passwords.

You also mention using VMWare. Another patch that might give you some extra time with 1Password 3 is to install an older version of OS X in a virtual machine. 1Password 3 was designed for Snow Leopard and Lion (OS X 10.6 and 10.7), but should still operate fine in Mavericks (OS X 10.9). I know it's not a perfect solution, but I hope it helps you!

• drgeb
    drgeb
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Unfortunately i cannot reinstall my OS and reinstall 1Password. I have tried 1Password in VMWare with the latest MAC OS beta and the 1Password3 version and all works fine. So i know it does not have to do with the OS and 1Password3 not working well but more with a configuration element that somehow has taken place on my machine but I don't know exactly how the code works to know how it gets to the fonts 1Password3 is using during the editing portion. Its only while editing information that I see this occurrence!

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drgeb: Reinstalling the OS and 1Password won't help. The screenshot shows exactly what both Megan and I were referring to. This is a known issue on El Capitan. The only case I've heard of someone not experiencing the same issue is your virtual machine.

1Password 3 hasn't been updated for compatibility with a new OS since Mountain Lion, so the only thing that's changed since then is the OS itself. As far as we know there isn't a workaround. 1Password is just using standard OS X libraries, and it's simply that they've changed over time as Apple has made changes to OS X — and in this case they have a bad interaction with an old app. I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you, but I'm glad that it at least works for you, even if you can't see the text fields when editing.

This discussion has been closed.