Sync between vaults

Options
slkeck
slkeck
Community Member

I thought when I moved over to 1password for families that it would make keeping vaults in sync easier - but I must be missing something. I've created a separate share vault for each family member and have shared different items from my personal vault with each of them - but when I change/edit one of those items in my personal vault it does not sync/change to the new version in the families vaults. I also tried this by putting an item in the shared vault - then sharing that item with family members - but no luck with them syncing changes there either. What's the purpose of being able to create vaults, invite users, fill those vaults, but then to not be able to keep them in sync as the ADMIN guy? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: families
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:teams-admin-getting-started, kb:teams-faq-existing-user, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:sync-options

Comments

• rob
    Options

Hi, @slkeck, and welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password for Families is designed so that you only have one copy of a given item in any vault, and then you give access to those vaults to the people with which you need to share those items. For example, if I need to share my bank account Login with my wife, I would move it to a vault that she and I share. I wouldn't keep a copy of it in my personal vault; the only copy would be in the shared vault.

With the All Vaults feature we introduced this year, you don't have to worry about which vault an item is in, it will always be available to you as long as you have that vault. So it sounds like you just need to delete the copy of the item in your personal vault and simply access the item you put in the family members' shared vaults.

I hope that helps!

• slkeck
    slkeck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I've made multiple vaults - one for each family member - that shares with me so I can "maintain" them - and the one "share" vault is where I will only put items that everyone get access to. Should work - just took a bit to figure out the mechanics.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed! Just keep in mind that you can share a new vault you create with one, some, all, or none of your Family members — very useful for sharing specific information with only those you wish. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.