Question about billing

publish
publish
Community Member

I purchased the one-time fee 1password for myself and my team member. I also paid $9.99 to upgrade my iOS app.

I signed up for Teams Beta. Will I be able to use it with my team ongoing without any additional fees? How will the pricing work as I already paid for access.

Thanks!
Shelley

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rob
    rob
    edited March 2016

Hi, Shelley ( @publish ), and welcome to our forum!

1Password for Teams is a subscription service, so when the beta ends, you will need to add a credit card to continue using the service. However, if you've purchased licenses recently, please contact us at support@1password.com and we'll see what we can do for you.

• publish
    publish
    Community Member

What will the price be when the beta ends? I'll send an email as I did recently purchase it for myself and my support staff. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@publish: We haven't finalized pricing for 1Password Teams yet, but we'll be sure to announce it as we approach the end of the beta. And since you're already signed up, you'll receive a newsletter when the time comes. Cheers! :)

• publish
    publish
    Community Member

Thanks! I need to know a ballpark figure of what it will cost me so I know if it makes sense to stay with teams. When I signed up for teams there was no indication that there would be a fee in the future.

• @publish Well be sure to keep an eye on https://1password.com/teams/pricing. The price there currently is a good ballpark for where things will start, but we are planning some other tiers as well. More will be announced when the beta is closer to its end. Feel free to keep using Teams while it's in beta and we'll email you with updates on the price and other things. :)

• publish
    publish
    Community Member

Thank you!

• No problem at all. :+1:

• twykr
    twykr
    Community Member

Hey @penderworth -

...be sure to keep an eye on https://1password.com/teams/pricing.
    The price there currently is a good ballpark for where things will start...

Hm, I hope not? Doesn't make much sense (to me) to charge anything near $5/user/month, when you're only charging $1/user/month for 1Password for Families.... otherwise, I would expect people to just sign up for 1Password for Families for their work teams instead?

At the current "ballpark" price point (which is $60/user/year), we might as well buy individual licenses for the software (which are often on sale, or in a cheap bundle) and use Dropbox as a shared sync point...

Then again, I'm hoping that doesn't lead to a change in pricing for the 1P4F offering... which is a great deal :P

I'm already signed up for 1P4Families for my family (great deal!), and am exploring moving my company from Passpack to 1P4Teams... but it's going to have to be significantly cheaper than $5/user/month for us to make that switch, I suspect.

twykr.

• Hey @twykr,

Personally I think that $5/user/month is a great deal. I've paid for many different services, from Slack to Dropbox Business and more. All of them cost quite a bit more than 1Password for Teams, but I still feel they are a good value.

As for 1Password Families, we have always loved helping out families. As a result, we set 1Password Families pricing amazingly low. This will really help those who use 1Password to encourage their family members to also use it. Of course, 1Password Families has a simpler model and fewer features than 1Password for Teams, which is another reason we were able to offer it at such a low price.

Because we priced Families so aggressively, you're right, companies may be tempted to use it. This is why in our terms of service we are clearly stating 1Password Families is for personal use only, while 1Password for Teams is for business or personal use. This is what will help us keep our Families’ pricing at such a great deal, as you duly noted. :)

Let me switch gears now and try to explain our reasoning behind our 1Password for Teams pricing:

1Password for Teams has been a huge undertaking. We've been working on it for over 2 full years now with no intention to stop improving it anytime soon.

We have a team of security professionals who have spent a lot of time and effort working out the security model of 1Password for Teams, and we are really proud of the result. I'd encourage you to take a read through our Security Whitepaper if you haven't already, there is a ton of great information in there.

We've also focused a great deal on the usability and design of 1Password — not only to make it beautiful, but to make it easy to use. We want everyone in your company to be able to jump right in and benefit from vastly improved online security. Being able to get your team up and running quickly is paramount, as you want them using the app, instead of spending your time trying to teach it to them, or even more damaging to your bottom line, having to hire someone to train them.

Of course, design needs to be backed up by great technology. 1Password for Teams is packed with powerful admin features like groups, fine-grained access control, and item history backups. All of this runs on our 1Password infrastructure, which we've designed with the safety and privacy of your information as the most important and core requirement.

Yes, we absolutely love what we do, but all of this translates to real, on-going costs that we need to cover so that we can continue to improve 1Password.

So I really do believe we offer quite a lot of value here, especially considering it includes all of our apps and future updates included with your subscription at no extra charge.

With all that said, if you really do prefer purchasing individual 1Password licenses for all of your team members and share your vaults through Dropbox, that is a completely valid approach. We are happy to continue offering both subscription and license options.

Thanks,
    -Jeff

This discussion has been closed.