What does 1Passwors for Family/Teams mean for minority platforms

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

Hi

I cannot imagine 1Password for Win Mobile having a decent market share %. How would 1Password work in these situations or in platforms where Agilebits has zero presence, like Blackberry? Or some old Nokia?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Wow. Great question...but man that's a tough one! While we do have a beta app for Windows 10 (which includes supported mobile devices as well), the other examples you give are problematic. I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that the 1Password Teams/Families web interface won't work on those.

Since platforms like Linux, Free BSD, and Chrome OS (to name a few off the top of my head) that don't have native 1Password apps do have full web browsers with good web standards support (in fact, some of the same browsers that are available on OS X and Windows), they won't have any trouble.

But mobile browsers lag in some areas — especially on older platforms. 1Password Teams/Families specifically relies on WebCrypto as an integral part of its security implementation. It's what allows us to do what normally requires a full app inside of your browser, but of course the browser needs to support the necessary standards. Even (Mac) Safari and (Windows) Edge required some additional work for 1Password Teams/Families to function there, so older or more "lightweight" browsers simply aren't up to the task.

So while 1Password Teams/Families is useful to folks on pretty much any modern desktop OS, mobile may only gain the same benefit in the future if the browsers are updated (perhaps in "trickle-down" fashion) to be more robust and have more in common with desktop browsers. I'm not sure that's something I'd bet on, but it's certainly a possibility, especially as mobile devices become more powerful and we use them more and more. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks Brent. Your reply gives me a guideline on what might or might not work. I'll look up WebCrypto.

Another reason is that I hate to discard a usable phone or tablet. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

I'm glad to hear Brenty's reply helped. It certainly will be interesting to see how the web interface of 1Password for Teams and 1Password Families grows to be more powerful for users. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for putting these products 'out there' for us supporters. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I think I speak for the whole team when I say that we simply couldn't wait any longer to share what we've been working on with you guys. We're so excited to have people using what we've been working so hard on finally! :chuffed:

I really wanted to include a helpful link with more details on WebCrypto in my reply, but I wasn't able to find anything particularly readable (most of the Google results are for reference material). :blush:

This discussion has been closed.