Bug: 1Password grabs focus on launch when it shouldn't

Options
janm
janm
Community Member

When 1Password launches, it always grabs focus even when it shouldn't. Where this is expected it is fine but it is particularly annoying while working on something else while an update is installing, and when 1Password relaunches, it grabs focus, and my keyboard input goes into the passphrase box.

Quick way to reproduce from a command prompt: "open --background /Applications/1Password\ 6.app"

Note how 1Password comes to the foreground despite the --background flag.

I'm running 6.3.BETA-2 but I think this has been a problem as long as I've been using 1Password (since 3 or 4?)

1Password Version: 6.3.BETA-2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @janm,

I don't have a solution I'm afraid. The main 1Password doesn't behave like other applications and seems to have no background state. If you close the main window it closes the app entirely, leaving 1Password mini running. I seem to remember this when somebody asked about having 1Password launch using the Hide option for Login item. I don't believe it's the case where due to a bug the code isn't behave as it ought to, more it never has done this. At a guess the assumption is the user has purposely opened the window to interact with 1Password? I will pass your comments on.

• janm
    janm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

I am not asking for the main window to be closed, just for 1Password to not become the foreground application on every start.

If you compare starting, say Pages.app, using "open --background /Applications/Pages.app", you will see the Pages window open underneath the currently focused windows. That is the behaviour I expect from 1Password. The application has the concept of the window being open but not in focus ("in the background") because I can then click on my original window to go back to where I was without 1Password closing. This is in contrast to 1Password mini, where if I do change focus the 1Password mini window closes (as expected).

Starting it with "open --hide /Applications/1Password\ 6.app" also takes focus away from the active application and forces the user's focus to 1Password. You can then hit Command-H to hide the app without closing the window. This means that 1Password has the concept of "hidden" but it ignores the request to start hidden. This seems like a bug to me.

Thanks,

Jan.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Greetings @janm,

As I say, I have brought this up before but was informed at the time that it worked as intended. I will enquire though (beliefs and opinions do change over time after all).

• janm
    janm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

Thanks for passing my comments on.

Regards,

Jan.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else - we're here for you! :)

• janm
    janm
    Community Member
    Options

Was there a response when you enquired? An upgrade installation just stole focus from my shell again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @janm,

Thanks for checking in about this! littlebobbytables opened a ticket in our internal tracker when you first contacted us, but I'm afraid there's nothing new to report. We've added your latest comment to that ticket to let our developers know you asked about it again (although we can't make any promises one way or another about if/when this will be changed).

Sorry I don't have more information for you at this time! If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

ref: OPM-3995

• janm
    janm
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Thanks for the reply. Glad to know the ticket is still open -- I understood variants on this request had previously been rejected out-of-hand. I'll keep following up, especially after 1Password steals focus while I'm doing something important..

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• janm
    janm
    Community Member
    Options

Still happening, still annoying!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there, @janm!

Unfortunately (and as you may have guessed) I don't have any news for you about this. The ticket in our internal tracker is still open, and I can let our developers know you checked in to ask about this again.

I'm sorry I don't have anything new to tell you about this! I know it can be really frustrating to report something like this and not see it changed after all these months. To be honest, I'm not sure anyone else has contacted us about it since you opened this discussion in April. That doesn't mean we'll never address it, but it does mean that more severe issues that affect more people are given a higher priority. I know this is important to you, though, and hopefully we'll be able to do something about it one day.

ref: OPM-3995

This discussion has been closed.