Deauthorize Devices

Options
JOeMTC
JOeMTC
Community Member

Is there a way to deauthrize devices?
I looked around the forums, but couldn't find any answers.
I even authorized a device to get that automated email, but all it said was to contact 1passwords.com.

If there isn't a way to do so, it would be helpful.

There is probably a good reason why it isn't a feature.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @JOeMTC

Thanks for taking the time to write in! There is not currently a way to de-authorize a device. That is something we hope to be able to add (along with some other improvements in this area) in the future. :)

Ben

• JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff Thank you for the absolutely fastest response I've ever gotten from a AgileBite team member.

I thought it would be something in the pipeline one of these days.

Looking forward to more features to come around. (e.g. Windows 7 support, mirroring/local backup).

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. :+1:

Ben

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to add my vote for this. I recently sold an old phone to a friend, and now I see in my 1Password for Families website the phone is still listed as an authorized device. I wiped it before I sold it, but from a security perspective I really should be able to deauthorize it. In my opinion this is a critical issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MDBrown: It's actually not critical at all, but I don't blame you for thinking that it could be. We need to make it clearer and improve this overall. I'll explain.

Currently the "authorized devices list" is more like a log of "devices that have been authorized ever". The "authorization" itself refers to the fact that you've logged into your account there, and the Account Key is stored securely so you only have to type the Master Password upon further visits.

If you wipe this data (delete 1Password for iOS, clear the browser cache, etc.) it is impossible for someone to login on that device again without all of your credentials. But the 1Password web interface has no way of knowing if you delete an app on your iPhone, for example. So if you reinstall 1Password there and login again, it's the same device, but a new authorization will show up on the website. This is important because then you'll know almost immediately if someone other than you has obtained and used your credentials.

But as far as authorization, it does not mean that the device is allowed to access your account until the end of time. Even if you forget to wipe it before giving it away, at the very least they'll need your Master Password. So while a device's authorization doesn't pose a security risk, it would be nice, to be able to proactively deauthorize one, for example if it were stolen, just in case — and frankly make it easier to see at a glance what devices are authorized: I probably have this Mac listed 15 times. :lol:

• JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank you for that response. With your explanation, I can see a feature such as this may be on the bottom of the to-do list or may not even be necessary. I guess if it really was critical to safe-guard data, one can regenerate an Account Key, but that would also boot all devices connected to your account.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JOeMTC,

I’m glad to see that Brenty’s response helped you out. It’s great that you’re thinking carefully about the security of your data, and we’re always here if you have any other questions or concerns. :)

This discussion has been closed.