Safari Technology Preview

Please add "Safari Technology Preview" to your allowed code signatures for the 1PW Safari extension.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.1 (610005) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:code-signature

Comments

• extensioncord
    extensioncord
    Community Member

I am testing the Apple Safari Technology Preview. It is code signed:

codesign --verify --verbose /Applications/Safari\ Technology\ Preview.app
    /Applications/Safari Technology Preview.app: valid on disk
    /Applications/Safari Technology Preview.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

However the 1Password Extension says it is not. Can this work?

1Password Version: 6.2-beta10
    Extension Version: 4.5.5
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:safari technology preview

• caesar113
    caesar113
    Community Member

I think they have to add the signature to their database of approved browsers. I am very interested in this as well! I would love to test the Technology Preview, but without 1Password compatibility, it would be very tedious.

AgileBits: Can Safari Technology Preview compatibility please be added? This wouldn't require any development efforts and would be much appreciated.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

+1

• zwaldowski
    zwaldowski
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Think it might require some development time, though I'm no codesign expert - it does seem like part of the requirement enforcement is rather tight (which is good generally) - but shouldn't the Apple System cert get a free pass?

Is this something reasonable to see in a beta update to 1P4Mac soonish? I'd like to get back up and running.

• Paul Applegate
    Paul Applegate
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Same issue for me. Although since it just came out today, I'm sure in a few days they will fix it.

• jetpks
    jetpks
    Community Member

+1 STP support would be awesome.

• ExPlLiCiT
    ExPlLiCiT
    Community Member

+1

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member

Same here.

• Hates_
    Hates_
    Community Member

+1

Too much of a hassle to use a browser without 1Password :'(

• curdaneta
    curdaneta
    Community Member

+1

• Scott Johnson
    Scott Johnson
    Community Member

+1

• ngn999
    ngn999
    Community Member

+1

• edjusted
    edjusted
    Community Member

+1

• Mark-Lee
    Mark-Lee
    Community Member

+1

• zilvinasu
    zilvinasu
    Community Member

+1

• hi all,

The Safari Technology Preview code signature has been added to the first beta of 6.3, which is slated to be built some time early next week, unless Apple approves the release of 6.2 sooner.

Rudy Richter
    1Password for Mac Developer

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Leonardo. This is coming in the next beta of 1Password. Thanks!

• jetpks
    jetpks
    Community Member

Thanks Rudy!

• extensioncord
    extensioncord
    Community Member

Excellent!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jetpks and @extensioncord,

Glad to hear we were able to give you some good news here! :)

• lutherkent
    lutherkent
    Community Member

The Safari Technology Preview app Apple released yesterday looks promising to us web developers but the 1Password extension does not work ( “code signature could not be verified” ). I'm not asking if this browser can be supported as I understand it's a tech preview. I was curious if there was a workaround or plans to support it. From what I read it [will be?] signed which will allow it to work with iCloud like Safari.

Thanks for your time.

1Password Version: 6.1
    Extension Version: 4.5.6b2
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: kb:code-signature, kb-search:technology preview

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just to update, the first two(!) betas of 1Password 6.3 were released today (okay, technically yesterday now) with support for the Safari Technology Preview code signature. Anyone who's interested can try it in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac by enabling betas in Preferences > Updates and then doing a check. Cheers! :)

• BoogieStik
    BoogieStik
    Community Member

What is the risk if a user unchecks "Verify browser code signature" in Preferences » Advanced in the meantime?

• Hi @BoogieStik,

The risk is small, but it's still a risk. The risk is that a malicious app could have infected a browser we typically trust (like say Safari) with code that could read the passwords we pass along to it. A malicious app can't infect another app without invalidating its codesignature, so that's what we check. Conversely it also means that when we think we're talking to Safari we know that we're talking to Safari and not an app that pretends to be Safari.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• BoogieStik
    BoogieStik
    Community Member

A user isn't concerned about the second part of your response since the user would change the preference, and would know that the user is not pretending. Of course, 1Password would have no way of knowing that. It would help if there was a way of quantifying the risk from a malicious app. How many people might be motivated to target Safari Technology Preview? Surely not many. But that doesn't mean it's insignificant.

• But that doesn't mean it's insignificant.

Right. :)

The risk is small, but it's still a risk.

It would be very difficult to quantify beyond that.

Ben

• Dave Marquard
    Dave Marquard
    Community Member

Long shot, I know, but any chance there's a way to get this to work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password at the moment?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Long shot, I know, but any chance there's a way to get this to work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password at the moment?

@Dave Marquard: No. Support for the Safari Technology Preview is only available in the 1Password for Mac beta, and it isn't possible (or perhaps desirable) to have betas in the Mac App Store.

However, you're free to switch to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, either temporarily or permanently.

While the app will read your Mac App Store receipt and register itself, if you do plan to continue using the AgileBits Store version going forward, be sure to send a copy of your Mac App Store receipt to support+licenses@agilebits.com so we can get you a license for it. Cheers! :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@Dave Marquard Just to clarify what @brenty said, the code signature validation of Safari Technology Preview is coming to the Mac App Store, but it will require waiting for the stable release. For now, it's only available in our beta channel.

• Dave Marquard
    Dave Marquard
    Community Member

Great! I didn't know it was so easy to switch back and forth between the Mac App Store and Agile store versions of the app. I'm on the beta version now and it works like a charm.

This discussion has been closed.