1Password update to OPVault duplicated all my logins - how do I delete contents of "Primary" vault?

Options
snm77
snm77
Community Member

I have two Mac's, 3 windows boxes, an iOS deivce, and 3 or 4 Android devices using my opvault in Dropbox.

When i converted my agile keychain to opvault according to instructions on agilebits site, it duplicated ALL my entires in the new opvault - and apparently in the "Primary" of each of my OSx machines.

Water under the bridge. Right now, when I open 1Password on either OSx station, it opens both the local "Primary" and dropbox opvault. I just now found the setting to change this, and set to ONLY open the opvault, but while all my Windows systems are syncing with the opvault, if I try to select "sync" in OSx, it wants to merge the opvault with itself, which makes no sense to me. what I want is to blank out everything in OSx and simply sync with my dropbox vault - no other local vaults, no more chances for duplicating every entry in my database.

Instructions I found in the forum say to stop syncing with DB (already done, it won't let me sync without merging the data again and making a bigger mess), go into Settings and Advanced and there should be an option to erase the open vault - there is no option to erase anything. If I remove/re-install, all the old data is still there. The ONLY vault it lets me delete is the opvualt one, form the 1Password6 menu - I can't delete the data in the Primary vault, which is what needs to GO. All I want is a single source for now - my dropbox-synced opvault. I'll worry about a "family" vault AFTER I fix this mess.

1Password Version: 6.1 (610005)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSx10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @snm77,

I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with 1Password! I imagine this has all been extremely frustrating, but we can definitely help to get things straightened out.

1Password vaults are handled a bit differently on a Mac than on a Windows PC, and that's probably causing a bit of confusion here. On Windows, 1Password reads directly from a .agilekeychain of .opvault file/folder (which in your case is located in your local Dropbox folder). But on a Mac, your vaults & data are stored locally in an SQLite database file. When you use Dropbox sync for a vault in 1Password for Mac, it copies your data back & forth between the local vault and a .agilekeychain or .opvault sync file in your Dropbox folder. So for example, even if you deleted those sync files from Dropbox, you would still have your data in 1Password on your Mac.

That's why, if you (re)enable Dropbox sync between an existing vault in 1Password for Mac and an existing sync file in Dropbox, you're asked if you want to merge them. That doesn't necessarily result in duplicates, though. Each item has a UUID (a Universally Unique ID), and that's how 1Password determines whether to merge two copies of an item during a sync, or to keep them as separate items. Duplicates should only happen if the UUIDs of the items in the local vault are different than the UUIDs of the corresponding items in the sync file.

The Mac version of 1Password also has an All Vaults view which shows you the data from multiple vaults at once. So the first thing you'll want to check is whether you actually have duplicates of your items in the same vault, or if you simply ended up with 2 different vaults that each have the same data:

• On your Mac, open 1Password (unlock with your master password if prompted).
    • If multiple vaults are set up in 1Password for Mac, you'll see the vault-switcher in the top left corner of the app window (right below the red, yellow, and green buttons).
    • If you see the vault switcher and it says "All Vaults", click on that and select the Primary vault.
    • In your Primary vault, do you see duplicates of the items there?
    • Click on the vault switcher and choose the next vault. In that secondary vault, do you see duplicates of the items there? Or do you simply see the same items that are also in your Primary vault?
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Select the Primary vault on the left and check the sync settings. Is Dropbox enabled for that vault? If so, what is the file path & name of the sync file?
    • Select the secondary vault on the left and check the sync settings. Is Dropbox enabled for that vault? If so, what is the file path & name of the sync file?

That will help us understand how things are currently set up in 1Password on your Mac, so we can give you the right steps to get this all sorted out. Now, if you have all your latest data in 1Password for Windows and in Dropbox, then we can certainly help you to reset 1Password for Mac and start over by syncing your data from Dropbox. But it's possible the solution will actually be much simpler than that, depending on your answers to the questions above. Thanks in advance! :)

• snm77
    snm77
    Community Member
    Options

In your Primary vault, do you see duplicates of the items there?
    - yes. In fact, if I choose the "all vaults" view, I have FOUR copies of every entry.

Select the Primary vault on the left and check the sync settings. Is Dropbox enabled for that vault? If so, what is the file path & name of the sync file?
    - NOT currently syncing. I disabled sync in an attempt to delete everything in the Primary vault according to directions found in this forum - only there was no option to delete it.

I would be totally happy to blow away 1Password6 on this machine and do a clean install, then re-setup sync to dropbox. Sadly, when i uninstalled and reinstalled 1Password, all the data remained.
    the "second" vault is actually the opvault file opened directly - which is correct in Windwos, but incorrect in OSx, from what you've said. Only i can't seem to "get rid" of it in OSx.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @snm77! That definitely helps me understand the current situation.

• yes. In fact, if I choose the "all vaults" view, I have FOUR copies of every entry.

Ah, I see. I thought perhaps you had duplicate items in just one vault, or two vaults that each had the same items. It sounds like it's actually both of those things - you have two vaults, and each vault has duplicates of each item.

• NOT currently syncing. I disabled sync in an attempt to delete everything in the Primary vault according to directions found in this forum - only there was no option to delete it.

Sorry for any confusion! I don't know what steps you found or which version they may have been referring to, but disabling sync in 1Password for Mac does not delete any of your data from the app - it just stops syncing changes between the local vault on your Mac and the sync file in Dropbox. I tried to explain a bit about that in my last response, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. In short, the data you see in 1Password for Mac and the sync file in Dropbox are two different things. Disabling Dropbox sync won't cause anything to happen to the data you see in 1Password for Mac.

I would be totally happy to blow away 1Password6 on this machine and do a clean install, then re-setup sync to dropbox. Sadly, when i uninstalled and reinstalled 1Password, all the data remained.

I agree, resetting 1Password on your Mac and re-syncing your data from Dropbox is the best option at this point. The reason your data is still there after deleting/reinstalling the 1Password app is because your 1Password data isn't stored in the app file - it's stored in another location on your Mac. To reset 1Password on your Mac, you can leave the app where it is, and delete your data files. We explain how to do that here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

After that, when you launch 1Password again on your Mac, it will be like the first time, and you can choose to set it up by syncing your data from Dropbox. You can follow the steps in our user guide here: Use existing 1Password data on a new computer

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.