Sync stops working with Dropbox

Options
howardn
howardn
Community Member

I have been using 1Password with Dropbox on my iPhone, iPads and Macs for some time. I use Dropbox for syncing. However, every so often one device or another stops syncing for some unknown reason. It would be nice to get an error message when 1Password detects that syncing has stopped. In my case it loses all of the information so I have to go to preferences and reselect Dropbox and the file and then do a merge. Seems like once selected it would be relatively easy for 1Password to monitor. This has been happening for sometime so it isn't release dependent.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:losing sync

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @howardn,

I’ve moved your post to the 1Password for Mac forum, since we’re talking about Dropbox sync and not the new 1Password Families subscription service.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having difficulty with Dropbox sync. I’m not quite clear though if you’re reporting a problem happening now, or if you’re asking for better sync reporting in 1Password in general. 1Password for Mac already has a feature like this. When an error in sync is detected, you’ll see a pop up in Notification Centre that will prompt you to fix the issue.

I am curious about this statement:

In my case it loses all of the information so I have to go to preferences and reselect Dropbox and the file and then do a merge.

Do you mean that 1Password has no information in it when you unlock? If so, that’s rather odd.

If you’re currently seeing a problem with Dropbox, I’d love to hear a few more details about what exactly you’re seeing so that we can get a better idea of where things are going wrong. You certainly shouldn’t have to reset Dropbox sync on a regular basis, so if there’s something that we need to fix, we’d love to know about it.

• howardn
    howardn
    Community Member
    Options

I think I overstated. Because the sync has stopped all of the new and changed information is missing on that device and is new information is not being propagated to other devices.. When I merge after re-enabling I presume it is OK. The issue is that after syncing is all set up one or more devices will stop syncing and 1Password gives no indication that his has happened. That's the improvement I am looking for. With no indication of a problem I don't realize it until something doesn't work. My guess is that app store updates to 1password or Dropbox are the root of the problem, but I am not sure. Sorry I posted in Families. I was thinking family of devices and not Family sharing!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @howardn,

Thanks for clarifying the problem! I'm glad that your existing data in 1Password doesn't disappear. ;)

So it sounds like Dropbox sync becomes disabled in 1Password on one or more devices, but you don't get an any notification that has happened. I can think of a few reasons why Dropbox sync might become disabled, but you should definitely get some sort of message about that if it happens, at least when opening the 1Password app. I haven't experienced either of these problems on my own devices, and I don't believe we've been hearing about it from other customers, so at this point I don't think it's due to a bug in a 1Password or Dropbox update, but we'll certainly help to figure that out.

If you don't mind, it will help if you can give us some more details about your set up and the problem:

• What version of the 1Password app is installed on each Mac? (It looks like you have 6.2 on at least one Mac, but if you have other versions on other Macs, please let us know.)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password on your Macs?
    • What exact version of 1Password is installed on each iOS device?
    • Does the problem happen on just certain, specific devices? Or all devices? Does it happen only on your iPhone/iPads, only on your Macs, or both?
    • Do you sync multiple vaults? If so, does Dropbox sync become disabled for all vaults, or just one/some?
    • If/when this happens on an iPhone or iPad, what exactly do you see if you open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > [vault name]? For example, does it show "Error", or "Start Syncing", or something else?
    • If/when it happens on your Macs, what exactly do you see if you open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync?

Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.