OPVault support

SteBae
SteBae
Community Member

Thanks for adding OPVault support to the Android beta version. I just installed 6.3b1 on two different devices (Nexus 6P running stock 6.0.1 and LG G-Pad 8.3 running CM12.1 = Android 5.1.1) and so far it's working beautifully.

Note: I had to completely reset 1P on both devices but that was a very small price to pay :-)

1Password Version: 6.3b1
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: Win 7 x64
Sync Type: OPVault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SteBae: You're welcome! But most of all, thanks for you patience, support, and your participation in the beta! :chuffed:

Since 1Password for Android doesn't support multiple local vaults (as you can imagine, we've been pretty busy lately with this!) there isn't a vault management system in place...which is why it may be necessary to start over to switch to a new vault currently.

We'd definitely like to improve that experience going forward though, so I'm looking forward to finishing this beta so we can move on to even more great things. Thanks for your help! :)

• nickjbedford
    nickjbedford
    Community Member

Thanks so much! Besides waiting for Android M on my Samsung for fingerprint support, OPVault was the major feature needed. Awesome work!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much! I'm glad we were able to get it out there for our awesome beta testers. Provided all goes well, it will be great to get it out to everyone else too! :chuffed:

• mircolino
    mircolino
    Community Member

Do you guys plan on adding supporting for OPVault on local storage to the Android client?
    We use Google Drive (instead of Dropbox) for syncing across multiple devices and this is the only thing that prevents us from switching to OPVault.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@mircolino Yes they do. Please read the sticky topic about 6.3 at the top of the beta forum.

• ninjawa
    ninjawa
    Community Member

Thanks for this implementation! Working well so far.

• nickjbedford
    nickjbedford
    Community Member

What about attachments? They seem to be generally missing from the Android version altogether. I forgot about that.

What happens if I update something that I know to have attachments? Do they secretly stay in the entry? I don't want to lose attached license files and whatever else because the Android version doesn't seem to support them.

• Dmitry_N
    Dmitry_N
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

nickjbedford,
    Attachments are still synced to Dropbox fine, but the Android client just doesn't see them yet. Not sure if the next version will successfully figure out which attachment belongs to which OPVault entry though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for this implementation! Working well so far.

@ninjawa: That's great to hear! I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

What about attachments? They seem to be generally missing from the Android version altogether. I forgot about that.

@nickjbedford: Attachments aren't yet supported, but we're not done yet. ;)

What happens if I update something that I know to have attachments? Do they secretly stay in the entry? I don't want to lose attached license files and whatever else because the Android version doesn't seem to support them.

As Dmitry_N pointed out, they won't be modified (unless of course you delete the item). 1Password for Android will just leave them there until it's able to make use of them.

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

Thanks for adding the support, but I can't seem to import the data on a clean start.
    The folder with the vault exists on my /sdcard, but when selecting from local storage, the vault is not recognized.
    1Password.opvault just opens as a folder, and selecting the "default" subfolder it says "A 1password vault wasn't found in this folder"

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@brenty Will this mean that we will be able to add attachments from the android app? And edit tags? And a tags view/search?

• mircolino
    mircolino
    Community Member

@girtsn: I believe OPVault is not supported on local storage (yet) and works only on Dropbox. Looking forward to this feature too as we use Google Drive to sync across devices.

• @girtsn, We don’t support the OPVault format for local storage sync, yet, as mircolino mentioned, but we're hoping to add that in the future.

@ntimo Tags are something we're hoping to add also, as tags is what we're using with 1Password accounts. We have open issues to support tags and adding attachments from Android, but I can't say if/when we'll be able add those features as you probably know. :tongue:

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

@peri please add the support for local storage, there are definitely more people like me who would never put their vaults anywhere but locally or private shares
    guess it is small effort to support local as well if the opvault support is there

• Indeed, @girtsn. As Nik points out in this announcement, local storage sync support is something we're working on for a future beta. :)

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

For anyone currently using it, how does local storage sync with Google Drive work? The last time I investigated this (which, admittedly, was quite some time ago), it appeared I had to give a third-party app administrator access to my Google Drive in order to facilitate this. This was a complete non-starter for me.

Is there a native solution that doesn't require a third-party app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

@EnerJi: 1Password doesn't support Google Drive natively. The only way to use it is by using a local vault and syncing it separately. And "full access" is also a better option than having to request permission for each file in the vault that's accessed.

I'll also add that Google Drive on hasn't ever been an issue for me on Android, but the clients on other platforms are (understandably) less mature.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@brenty

I just want to be clear: to get Google Drive to sync 1Password from local storage, does it require installing a (potentially dodgy) third-party app and giving it full control over the entirety of your Google Drive contents? Because that's what I understood was required when I last investigated this, and strikes me as complete insanity*.

*Less so if you have nothing else of value on your Gdrive, I suppose.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

I have been using the OPVault for a few weeks now and was only able to do that via wi-fi. Now it doesn't seem possible to switch that to DropBox and I'm using Android 6.3b1.

Synching via wi-fi is fast and reliable but clearly limited because the Mac version of 1P has to be open at the same time and I have to manually choose to sync the files. It goes without saying I'm looking forward to support for attachments.

• @EnerJi 1Password does not natively support sync with Google Drive. We were just expressing the option that is available for advanced users who want to manually sync their data from their local storage to Google Drive using a different third-party application.

• @ashleyk Thanks for helping us test OPVault. We recently added support for it in Dropbox sync, but it does require a fresh install of 1Password for Android so you can configure Dropbox sync with your OPVault folder.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

@saad Thanks I'm up and running again.

• I'm glad Saad was able to help get things sorted out. Thanks for the update!

• Rudyard
    Rudyard
    Community Member

Thanks so much for the great work; this is the update I've been most excited to see. I've switched over to OPVault and it has been working beautifully on my Nexus5x running stock Android 6.0.1 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 running PacRom, Android 5.1.1. No issues syncing passwords between these devices and my iPad Mini 4 via Dropbox. Your guide here was very helpful: https://support.1password.com/switch-to-opvault/win.html. I just had to remember to save the new OPVault in the correct Dropbox folder instead of the default location on Windows.

1Password Versions
    Android: 1Password 6.3b1
    iOS: 6.3.1

• Awe! Thanks for the awesome feedback, @Rudyard! I'm so glad that you're happy with the OPVault support update. :)

This discussion has been closed.