1PasswordAnywhere / Web based access to 1Password data (ChromeOS)

derkai3
derkai3
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Lounge

My remark to the upcoming Android Beta:

Hey,
I just wanted to let you know that a new file format for the vault only makes sense if you update 1passwordanywhere too. I use a Chromebook and Android and need a solution that works on both platforms.
Thanks for your help.

The answer:

Hey Kai,

Thanks for contacting AgileBits support.

To make a long story short, 1PasswordAnywhere was an old feature designed for 1Password 3, built into the old AgileKeychain format, relied on older Dropbox APIs, and had very limited capabilities. As you've already realised, it's being phased out and we won't be able to support it going forward.

However, our new 1Password for Teams / Families service has a fully featured web app which is more secure, advanced, and easier to use than 1PasswordAnywhere, its the future of this type of vault access. Please feel free to sign up for a free trial here:

https://start.1password.com/signup/team?type=F

If you have more questions about 1Password, just let us know. Cheers! :)

So I am not a team. Just a single person. And I do not wanna pay 60$ a year for a service, designed for 5 persons. Being able to use 1Password has been included when I bought my Mac-, Windows-, iOS- und Android-apps. So now I should buy a subscription to use one Chromebook?
Are there any plans to let single users, with only one vault, use your new web app?
What do other Chromebook users think?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ChromeOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2016

Hi @derkai3,

1PasswordAnywhere is indeed, unfortunately, dead. Long live 1PasswordAnywhere.

1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams are the recommended upgrade paths. We've already priced 1Password for Families extremely aggressively, so it is unlikely that we'll have a lower priced offering. Consider that on top of web based access (to read and edit your data, something 1PasswordAnywhere could never offer) which you could use on your Chromebook you also get:

• All of our compatible applications, including upgrades for the life of your subscription, and also including the Pro features for our mobile apps.
    • An additional layer of security above and beyond what Dropbox or iCloud offer (the account key)
    • Easy access to set up new/additional devices: just scan the QR code and enter your Master Password to have all of your 1Password data available
    • Our new Documents feature, which replaces and improves upon attachments
    • Easier and more secure sharing. Even if you don't intend on inviting your family members to your account, you may find it helpful to have the ability to create a vault and invite a guest to it in the future.

In my personal opinion that is a lot of value for $5/mo, even for an individual who will not be taking advantage of the other four spots. And I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention some of the awesomesauce. In addition, we're currently running an early adopter special, which gives you some additional goodies, that you can read about here:

AgileBits Blog | Introducing 1Password for Families

Oh! And we also offer a 20% discount if paying annually, instead of monthly.

"Don't knock it till you've tried it." You can sign up for a free account and see if it is right for you before entering any credit card information.

Thanks,

Ben

P.S. I do have to put one asterisk in here. I hate to do it, but I feel it is only fair. You mentioned you use Windows. The current situation with Families on Windows is in a bit of flux. We currently only have a native app for Windows 10, and we do not have browser extensions that are Families compatible. This is a situation we are working very hard to rectify. At present to access 1Password for Families on Windows we have either the web UI or our 1Password for Windows 10 beta.

ref: JGZ-65612-842

• Derkai3 and I have also been chatting via email, and he has given me permission to post this follow up so that anyone else reading this thread might benefit from it:

Nevertheless I am kind of frustrated. I bought licenses for Mac and
    Windows and payed on Google Play for the Android app.
    Now i should sign up for a subscription that gives me the Pro features in
    the Android app which I already bought?

I totally understand that frustration. I also have personally purchased 1Password for Mac, Windows, and iOS. This is precisely why we're offering the early adopter special that I mentioned in my forum post. It gives folks like you and I who have purchased the apps previously some additional free time using 1Password for Families if you opt to sign up before the deadline.

And one feature which is crucial to me (use 1Password Anywhere on
    ChromeOS) is taken away while it was there from the start and you want me
    to buy it back for a yearly fee?

1PasswordAnywhere has been dying a slow painful death for years. It was designed for 1Password 3 for Mac, when technology and security threats were much different. It simply hasn't been able to evolve to keep up with either, and there was no way we could continue to support it in good conscience. There was just no way to make it securely work the way folks expect with the technology available today.

Ben

• derkai3
    derkai3
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

The early adopter special is open to anyone and I see no reward for the years in which I used 1Password, was a loyal customer which encouraged the use of your product to family and friends and bought all the different products.
    Giving me no choice to get a more custom made subscription my time with 1Password will come to an end when 1PW Anywhere dies for good. Lastpass is offering a reasonable pricing (12USD/year/person) and 2FA. You wanna charge a single person 60 USD/year. To have a plan for seven familiy members may be nice for some users but I am a single person and I don't share any passwords or wanna be administrator for anyone. Let us pay a reasonable price for your web service or give us a chrome app, and I will be willing to buy a license for any major release. It is not a problem to spend money on a great product but I won't pay bottomless for a product that I bought already just to get back a functionality that will (for whatever reason) be taken away and sold back to me in a 48-60 USD subscription.

That said I hope you will reconsider your current pricing model.
    Cheers Kai

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The early adopter special is open to anyone and I see no reward for the years in which I used 1Password, was a loyal customer which encouraged the use of your product to family and friends and bought all the different products.

@derkai3: I can definitely sympathize. I think it's only human to relish getting something special that not everyone gets. But I think it's important to pause and be thankful for what we do have, and realize that someone else being able to enjoy the same benefit in a case like this doesn't take anything away from you, and doesn't have to feel bad either.

I’m really sorry that you feel put out by us giving early adopter benefits to all early adopters. It isn't our intent to make you feel less special, but to make others feel special too. After all, we're really excited to be able to share 1Password Families (and Teams) with everyone after working on it in secret for such a long time. I think it would be a shame if only the guy who threw the switch to make the new 1Password site live and send out the newsletter got to enjoy that feeling. I'm happy to be able to be a part of all of this, even in a small way. :blush:

However, it can still feel less magical in a way — sort of like going from the only guy around with an iPhone to seemingly everyone having one. But as I'm sure you know from sharing 1Password with friends and family, it's also a really good feeling to not be the only one. Otherwise you'd keep it to yourself, right?

I think it’s also important to keep in mind that when you and I spend our heard-earned money on something, that means we’ve had access to the thing all along, and enjoyed its benefits. In the case of 1Password, it's saved me immeasurable time, energy, and stress since I purchased my first license all those years ago. I guess what I'm saying is that all those good times don't have to turn bad just because all early adopters get the same deal. You can still have it if you want, and there's plenty to go around! :chuffed:

To have a plan for seven familiy members may be nice for some users but I am a single person and I don't share any passwords or wanna be administrator for anyone. Let us pay a reasonable price for your web service or give us a chrome app, and I will be willing to buy a license for any major release. It is not a problem to spend money on a great product but I won't pay bottomless for a product that I bought already just to get back a functionality that will (for whatever reason) be taken away and sold back to me in a 48-60 USD subscription.

Nothing is being taken away. No one is going to reach into your 1Password.agilekeychain and delete 1Password.html. But hosting is a problem. You're welcome to host it yourself, but we can't host it for free, and Dropbox won't be able to maintain an exception for it any longer. That's another part of the changing security and technology landscape. And we can't in good conscience continue to enable people to take risks going forward.

That said I hope you will reconsider your current pricing model.

It may be that we can offer something like "1Password for individuals" in the future, but given that there are real costs involved in the 1Password Families/Teams service I'm not certain that it would be possible to get the price even lower — which would make an "individual" plan less appealing. An app can reasonably be a one-time purchase, since it is (to some extent) a one-time development. But the web service, to be sustainable, needs to be supported by a subscription (since we have no interest in making it ad-supported — yuck!)

I know this isn't the answer you're hoping for, but even though we have to say "now now", we won't say "not ever", as it's something we can continue to evaluate. Perhaps in the future it will be feasible. :)

This discussion has been closed.