no category for car-data?

Options
Asteotiv
Asteotiv
Community Member

Hi, we got a new car and with it a long list of important data like: key-number, radio-pin, car-type-code, ..., license plate.
I found no suitable category in 1Password - I can't believe that I'm the first one looking for that.
Best wishes.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: -
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:car key

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Asteotiv: It doesn't come up often, since I think there aren't many people as meticulous as you and I may be, so 1Password doesn't have a category dedicated to automobiles. After all, most people have no car at all, and those of us who do generally only have one or two! A whole category just doesn't make sense from an interface perspective.

But as I hinted, I'm in your camp: I add everything to 1Password. Fortunately, there's already a great category to store some of the less-common things we might want to secure: Secure Notes:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes

While that really seems to be the best place for car info (at least in my opinion), keep in mind that with the ability to create custom sections and fields, other item types can be modified for specific uses as well. A personal favourite of mine is saving car insurance and medical info as a Membership, with a few custom fields added to augment the default template.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Asteotiv
    Asteotiv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty, thanks for comment.
    Yes I agree, user defined categories may be wonderful. Then I will make another one for our bikes ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hahaha awesome! :lol:

I do hope we'll be able to make categories themselves customizable someday, but for now customized Secure Notes are really flexible for cases like this. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.