Feature Request: SpiderOak Sync

Options
Indiana
Indiana
Community Member

Please hardcode SpiderOak sync within 1Password. Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Indiana: We don't currently have plans to add SpiderOak support to 1Password, but we can absolutely consider adding that feature in the future. Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@brenty, While I use Dropbox, it seems that people cannot wait to get away from it!, will the requests from alternative sync options.

• Indiana
    Indiana
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@wkleem "While I use Dropbox, it seems that people cannot wait to get away from it!"

So true. While I commented earlier about the default 1Password database format (AgileKeychain) metadata exposure of the URLs you have saved passwords for, this is one of the reason I would rather see SpiderOak as a backup alternative other than Dropbox. Let me explain:

1. DropBox manages your encryption keys, you do not. Meaning, they (employees) can access your data and do what they want with it. Since they manage your keys; if they get hacked, or are issued a subpoena, they will or can turn over all your data in clear text. Which at this point would include your 1Password metadata in clear text of all the websites you have accounts with (if you are not using the .opvault 1Password database format.)

2. SpiderOak does not manage your encryption keys, they stay resident on your hard drive or device and are used to encrypt & decrypt the data on your device. SpiderOak does not have access to your data, even if it were issued a subpeona. They also mention about your MetaData - "Filenames, size, and file creation dates are examples of meta-data – information about information. In our design we have access to none of it. To us, your files are simply containers of encrypted data."

Essentially, using SpiderOak as a cloudsync for your 1Password database would better protect you from any possible "leak" of your 1Password metadata in the cloud.

SpiderOak is available for all platforms.

• Ben
    Options

I've replied here. :) We appreciate the feedback!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.