Which vault should I use?

I've been using 1PW on Mac and PC for some time now and need to organize my stuff better. When you open the 1PW application, the left pane (name?) shows the vault and folders. There is some suggestions in the help and FAQ on what might be entered as a vault type of: Login, Account, Identity, Note, Software, or Wallet. However, more description is needed.

I see that if you click + you get a pop-up type list that 1PW assumes is appropriate for that vault type. The biggest thing that is missing is a description of how the Vault Types and Folders in the left pane of the 1PW application window maps to the Browser 1PW button. On Safari, it appears that there is a drop down menu that shows Credit Cards (from the Wallet) however, not all wallet items appear (like for instance a social security or passport number). The browser button drop down also shows identities which appears to be limited to people type. The browser drop down also allows you to "go to the site" by looking at the folder list. However, not all folders or the items in it appear in the folder list. It sort of looks like the only Vault categories you can get to from the browser are Credit Cards, Identities (people), and Logins via either auto recognition of the web URL or through the "go & fill" option.

Maybe these limitations, interactions, dependencies, and behaviors are the intended mode of use for 1PW but it would be nice to have a better explanation of how it does and is intended to work.

Comments

• bswins
    edited June 2011
    Hello Dave,

Many people have asked similar questions, and I know I was confused when I first started using 1Password.

To my understanding, each vault is used to store a specific type of information. From your post, I gather that you realize this, but to take it a step further, I see each vault as containing information that may be needed for filling on a website and other information that is usually NOT needed for filling on a website. Of course, there are instances where I require info stored in Software, Accounts or Secure Notes, but that is the primary purpose of the Identities vault.

I agree that the documentation for each vault type is not very detailed, but I know AB is updating 1P's user guide as we speak. With a limited number of employees, they are having to set priorities regarding development, customer support (Forums and e-mails) and documentation. Until then, luckily, most questions can be answered posting here or sending a message via e-mail.

The following links are to posts I found giving more detail to some of the vault types: Vault Confusion and Basic Organizational question.

Regarding which vaults are mapped to the Safari extension, it appears that you have already done your homework and identified the three: Logins, Identities, and Credit Cards. I believe that there is no need to map vaults to a browser extension unless you will actually need it to fill in a website field.

For those cases where it is necessary, creating an Identity is the way to go: 1P Identities I have several hundred entries across all the vaults, and I do not want to see all of them when searching through the Safari extension. Of course, this is a personal preference, and you may feel differently.

In instances where I may have multiple logins for a site, I employ Tags to further ease Safari Extension Congestion: Tags

Please take a look at the links and let me know your thoughts. Every comment from a user like you gives AB ideas for future development.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • I am a new 1Password user. What is the best way / menu selection to store usernames, passwords and other account details for accounts that are not credit card, bank or membership type accounts (such as telephone, service provider, retailer, etc) accounts?
  • bswins
    edited June 2011
    gwm wrote:

I am a new 1Password user. What is the best way / menu selection to store usernames, passwords and other account details for accounts that are not credit card, bank or membership type accounts (such as telephone, service provider, retailer, etc) accounts?

Hello gwm and welcome to the Forums!

I merged your topic with a similar thread.

I realize there can be initial confusion regarding the different vault types and the best uses for each. Please review my previous reply and take a look at the linked posts.

If you still have questions regarding where best to save different types of account information, please reply with further questions. I'll be happy to provide examples I use for the account types you mentioned.

Cheers!

Brandt
This discussion has been closed.