Team all set up on iMac but trying to sign in on my iPad fails

jkdevoe
jkdevoe
Community Member

Here is my application.
Purchased 1Password as part of a bundle. Installed
Have screen shot of license but it will not attach

iMac as base, iPad and iPhone that are mine, wife with her iPhone and unique email.
Setup on iMac is fine, generated emergency kit.

Went to App Store and downloaded iOS version on iPad
Sign in to teams using QR code (slick) or manually enter and the account cannot be verified.

We wish to share the same vault among devices. DropBox approach does not seem to work so the Team idea should fit the bill.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-troubleshooting-signin

Comments

• jkdevoe
    jkdevoe
    Community Member

1Password 6
    Version 6.1 (610005)
    AgileBits Store

• jkdevoe
    jkdevoe
    Community Member

"We are unable to verify your credentials" is the error message complaining about one or more items in the emergency kit.

• Hi, @jkdevoe, and welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry for the trouble you've been having. I'm not sure what the problem is except that your Master Password is being entered incorrectly. If you are scanning the QR code from the Emergency Kit, all that information should be correct. If you and your wife have both set up accounts, make sure you're scanning the right Emergency Kit and entering the right Master Password.

If you're still having trouble with it, please contact us at support@1password.com so we can take a closer look.

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

By way of introduction I am a retired member of the Apple Consultants Network and assisting my client, Jim DeVoe, with running 1password.
    We purchased one password, signed in on one iMac with no issue. The emergency kit credentials work on the iMac.
    Move to his iPad and by scanning the qr code or manually entering the information returns the error. I visually verified that the kit credentials reported in the profile are consistent.

The ultimate objective is the team vault being shared by him and his wife which represents two unique email addresses. I think the team approach should work but if you have a better strategy I would be happy to implement. At issue is he is about 45 min drive from my location so I am trying to get this to work for sure on my next visit.

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

For this case please add me to the response list [email removed]

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

One more comment. The initial configuration created a master password and we synced via his Dropbox. Might this be an issue?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mmizen: It sounds like you may be talking about two different things. A 1Password Teams vault cannot be sync'd through Dropbox; and similarly, a Dropbox vault cannot be stored in a 1Password Teams account. I wonder if that might be the source of confusion.

It sounds like the goal is to get the 1Password Team setup on all devices. In that case, let's make sure that you have everything you need:

• Husband's 1Password account credentials (email address, Account Key, Master Password)*
    • Husband's devices using 1Password
    • Wife's 1Password account credentials (email address, Account Key, Master Password)*
    • Wife's devices using 1Password

*Note that the Team login URL will be the same for both, but the other login credentials will be unique for each person

In both cases, there should be a unique QR code that may be used to fill most of the 1Password account credentials, but this is not necessary. They can be entered manually, and each person should setup their own account in 1Password on their own device.

For example, I open 1Password on my iPad, go to Settings > Teams, and enter my 1Password Teams URL, Account Key, Master Password, and email address to login. My wife opens 1Password on her iPhone, goes to Settings > Teams, and enter the same 1Password Teams URL, but then her Account Key, Master Password, and email address to login.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any questions! :)

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

This helps to an extent. I've got more questions and will try to sort this out on April 4. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem. We're here if you need us! :)

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

I understand about the dropbox vs team approach. What is confusing to me is the emergency kit credentials let me sign in via Safari and these same credentials when used on a fresh copy of 1Password/iPad is rejected. Either the QC scan or manually entering.

So here is what I think I should do.
    Delete the vault on the iMac. Perhaps re download the app and re register?

On the iMac open 1Password, go to preferences, sign in with his existing credentials that we set up last week.
    Repeat for his iPad
    Repeat for his iPhone 6s

Resend invitation to his wife's email account. As I understand this will create her own personal information. However when you say "her account key, master password and email" is it necessary to have a different master password for her? I think for this setup they would be happy to have the same master password but will this create an issue?

I have remote access to the iMac. As a test could I open his Safari and email invite me to share the vault on my iPad as a proof of concept that I have this sorted out?

• @mmizen Thanks for getting back to us! :) Let's get right into things...

I understand about the dropbox vs team approach. What is confusing to me is the emergency kit credentials let me sign in via Safari and these same credentials when used on a fresh copy of 1Password/iPad is rejected. Either the QC scan or manually entering.

I can see how that'd be confusing. It actually shouldn't be working that way if you're trying to sign in to the same account. Do you get an error or anything when adding the account?

So here is what I think I should do. Delete the vault on the iMac. Perhaps re download the app and re register?

Not yet. You can definitely try starting fresh, but it isn't necessary quite yet since I'm not sure exactly what error you're receiving when you add the account.

Resend invitation to his wife's email account. As I understand this will create her own personal information. However when you say "her account key, master password and email" is it necessary to have a different master password for her? I think for this setup they would be happy to have the same master password but will this create an issue?

Yep, this will make her a member on the account, and she'll have her own Master Password and Account Key tied to her email address. I do not recommend using the same Master Password because that's only supposed to be used once and having the same one for two members doesn't quite make sense from a security standpoint. She can generate a password of English words when she accepts the invitation and that may be a good way to start things off.

I have remote access to the iMac. As a test could I open his Safari and email invite me to share the vault on my iPad as a proof of concept that I have this sorted out?

I suppose you could add yourself to the account, yes. I would confirm it with him first though, since it's his account.

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

"I can see how that'd be confusing. It actually shouldn't be working that way if you're trying to sign in to the same account. Do you get an error or anything when adding the account?"

Yes and this is what is baffling. We generated the emergency kit and both his iPhone/iPad failed to authenticate. Yet if I use the credentials on his iMac and login via Safari all is well.

I'm going to speak with him later today (Wednesday) and see if I can remote in, and invite me to join the team. However I've got my 1Password/dropbox working on my gear. Should I delete 1Password from my iPad and reload?

• @mmizen Well that is definitely a bit strange. I hope the remote session helps clear things up. :)

I'm going to speak with him later today (Wednesday) and see if I can remote in, and invite me to join the team. However I've got my 1Password/dropbox working on my gear. Should I delete 1Password from my iPad and reload?

That's up to you. I don't think it's necessary to delete the app, though. You can sign in to the account he gives you by heading to Settings in 1Password on your iPad and then tapping 1Password for Teams. Let us know how everything goes.

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

So here is where things stand.
    By remote connection and safari I went into his domain, got to add me on the invite list.
    Got email and was successfully adding my iPhone to the team

So the process seems valid except I cannot use his Emergency Kit credentials to add his iPhone or iPad.

Stated in another term I have 1Password operational on his iMac but am stumped about adding additional devices. The team now consists of Jim, Michael, and Marian but Jim has 3 devices and Marian and Michael each have one.

Thoughts?

• @mmizen Thanks for the update. At this point we're going to need more information about the account to keep troubleshooting things. I suspect he may have two accounts and an Emergency Kit for one that may not be set up. I can't really check because I don't have is account info. Since this is a public forum, it's best to take the conversation to email. Could you have him as the owner send us a message at support@1password.com and CC you on it? Please ask him to include a link to this thread as well. Once you receive a response from our BitBot, post that confirmation number here so we can link this thread with that email conversation and we'll get things moving along. :+1: Thanks so much!

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

Will set this up Friday

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hope it goes smoothly, but we're here if you have any other questions! :)

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

Had him send an email (cc me) on Friday afternoon. Nothing has happened as of Monday afternoon.
    Thoughts?

• @mmizen Great! I wasn't able to locate the exact conversation with him though. Could you ask him for the BitBot confirmation number he received, and post that here please? :)

• mmizen
    mmizen
    Community Member

Try this..

QNC-99734-617

• Thanks for posting that. We've just gotten back to you. :) Let's keep the conversation going via email for now.

ref: #QNC-99734-617

This discussion has been closed.