How should we guide users to use the Personal Vault in a Team?

Options

If we roll out 1Password to our entire company, I want to be sure that we give them the best advice for their continued usage. One situation being that if they leave the company for any reason (sudden or not), they can still take their truly personal logins with them.

Should we be advising they use the vaults that are not associated with the company for their personal logins (library, personal email, etc) and then use the company-associated vault for their personal, but work related accounts (logins for services we use, work email login, etc)? I just want to make sure we don't have any surprises someday when someone moves on to bigger things and they lose all their important logins.

Is there a case where we might advise they use the work associated vaults instead?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @dronetrackchasm! Thanks for asking about this. I've answered the question about vault usage in another thread, so please give that a quick read for a guideline. As for what happens when someone leaves the team, it depends on what you do with their account. If you suspend it, they will lose access to their data. You can remove them from all the other vaults first so they can move things out of their Personal one if that's easier. In the Mac app, for example, they can head to Preferences and enable personal vaults, which are stored locally on that device and won't be affected by you removing them from the team.

One thing that will be affected by the removal from the team is their access to the app itself. Our Mac and Windows apps have 30-day trials and are then paid apps, so an employee who is removed from your account will need to pay if they want to continue using 1Password. If they don't, they'll have read-only access to their data so they can continue using it or export it elsewhere, just not add new passwords or modify existing stuff. ;)

This discussion has been closed.