Daft question - how do I get the phone version of the Win10 app working?!

sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

I have 1Password 6 for Mac and the latest Windows 10 beta (2016.4.800) on my Lumia 950

When I start the mobile app, it asks for a login or a location - I don't have a Families account so I'd like to open a local copy using the "Local Folder" option.

However, I don't know what file(s) I need to copy from my Mac to the phone and where should I place them? Somewhere like Downloads on the SD card?

I'm sure that this is explained in some FAQ article but I could not find it - if there is one would somebody kindly point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for any help you can offer :)
Jean-Yves
(recent 1P returnee - last version I had v3 on Mac and iOS and v1 on Win)

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @sparrowhawk,

In 1Password 6 for Mac, you have to first enable Folder Sync to create a sync folder (.opvault) that'll pull your vault data out of 1Password's internal database and put it into a folder that it'll monitor to stay in sync.

You can put it on your SD card and then configure 1Password on your Lumia device to open that .opvault folder.

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member

@sparrowhawk, I think it's important to note that, if you copy your vault to an SD card, it won't be syncing with 1Password on your Mac.

If you want the app on your phone to automatically "see" changes you make on your Mac, you'll need to go with Folder sync (as MikeT mentions), Dropbox sync (my personal choice), or 1Password for Teams/Families (which isn't syncing, but makes your data available wherever you need it, without any additional effort on your part).

@MikeT, edit or delete this, if I got any of that wrong.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If you want the app on your phone to automatically "see" changes you make on your Mac, you'll need to go with Folder sync (as MikeT mentions), Dropbox sync (my personal choice), or 1Password for Teams/Families (which isn't syncing, but makes your data available wherever you need it, without any additional effort on your part).

@DavidMBrown: Thanks! You're right on! Personally, I prefer Dropbox Sync or 1Password Families for uses like this since that works automatically in the background.

@sparrowhawk: However, I should mention that currently Dropbox vaults are read-only in the beta app, so you wouldn't be able to make changes there. And copying the vault over manually works too if you don't need to make changes, or don't mind re-copying it when you do. Cheers! :)

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member

If you want the app on your phone to automatically "see" changes you make on your Mac, ...

I should mention that currently Dropbox vaults are read-only in the beta app...

Yup, that's why I mentioned only "changes you make on your Mac": you can't make changes to an .opvault or .agilekeychain folder.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for adding more clarifications to this.

To add more, if the Folder Sync is used and the folder you choose to sync with is on the SD card itself, putting the SD card back into the Mac would let the Mac app sync the changes to the SD card on the fly. When SD card is taken out, the Mac app will disable the sync until the folder becomes accessible again.

• sparrowhawk
    sparrowhawk
    Community Member

Many thanks Mike, David and Brent. I'll have a go and see whether I can get it working.

And apologies for late reply - I was away from home and forgot to take my old phone so I had no password file at all and could not log in to comment!

Jean-Yves

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.