How do I login to my account?

Options
sperry1975
sperry1975
Community Member

I'm not presently on a team account and I'm fairly certain it's an individual account, but I want to know how to login so I can confirm my account type and history etc.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I login to my account?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you haven't signed up for 1PW for Teams or 1PW for Families, then you don't have an account.

You just have the application and its data.

Please note that this means that only you have access to the master password (no-one can reset it if you forget it) and the data is only stored on your computer (and its backups) unless you have chosen to sync it to Dropbox or iCloud. So a stolen machine could mean loss of your data (though the encryption is good enough that it would not mean a thief could access your passwords).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sperry1975: Indeed, as danco mentioned, 1Password Families (and Teams) is new and quite separate from any standalone license you may have purchased in the past. So unless you recently signed up for it, you won't have an account or login associated with 1Password. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member
    Options

If I'm not mistaken I can change to a family pack, but what's the advantage? With what I presently have I still get all updates, but no monthly payments like family plan. Of course with the family plan/pack you can have the program available to 5 members or more, so other than that what's the benefit?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sperry1975,

One of the benefits of the subscription service is the app updates. Your purchase of 1Password for Mac entitles you to all in-version updates of the app (so, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, etc.), but at some point in the future there might be a paid upgrade available. Of course, you can continue to use the version of the app that you purchased for as long as you choose, but that app will cease to be updated once the new version is available. With a 1Password Families subscription, you’ll always be using the latest version of the app - the license fee is included in the subscription price.

Another great thing about 1Password Families is having all of your data immediately with you on a new device. You’ll especially notice this if you are working with multiple vaults. Using the 1Password apps with the ‘sync it yourself’ model, you will add each vault to each device separately. This gives you a lot of control (maybe you don’t want your ‘high security’ vault on your mobile devices), but the more vaults you have, the more steps it will take to set up a new device. With 1Password for Teams or 1Password Families, you simply sign into your 1Password account, and all your vaults are there.

Of course, you’re welcome to continue using the 1Password app just as you are now. You don’t have to switch to a 1Password account. I think there are strong benefits to either approach. I’m curious to know what you decide! :)

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member
    Options

I had understood the upgrades for 1Password were indefinite, but if you say it's not I will trust you and get the family plan. Now how do I transfer my present account over for all devices (OS X, iOS, Windows 7)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sperry1975: Since you mentioned the devices you're using, I feel it's important to point out that 1Password Families isn't yet available in the 1Password for Windows desktop app which runs on Windows 7 and 8. We're working hard on it, but it just isn't ready yet, though you can use the web interface. Currently 1Password Families is supported in the Windows 10 beta app, and 1Password for Mac, iOS, and Android.

But given that we're offering a few early adopter bonuses, I'd suggest that you sign up right away and setup billing to lock those in (by April 14th), even if you'd rather wait for full Windows 7 support. You'll have a 30 free trial, a 10$ credit for additional time, and then if you decide against it, you can cancel before you're billed and it won't have cost you anything. But if you do decide that it's a good fit for you, you'll have additional members and storage available for the duration of your subscription. That's the time-sensitive part.

Circling back to the question of licensing, your existing 1Password license does not expire ever, but it is for a specific version of the app, as Megan mentioned above. So, for example, my 1Password 3 license entitles me to use it on all of my Macs forever, but I paid the upgrade price for 1Password 4 when it was released. We save that information and use it to register the app on our Macs. But of course other platforms would be a separate purchase.

The difference with 1Password Families is that there is no license to purchase, register, and store for future use. There are no upgrade fees or separate purchases for another platform. Instead, you have a 1Password account tied to your subscription which entitles you and 4 other family members to use 1Password on all of your devices, regardless of platform.

With the standalone licensed apps, if you want to sync your data between devices, you configure that yourself using iCloud, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi. And if you want to share data, you save a vault in Dropbox and share it with other Dropbox accounts. 1Password Families does away with all of that. You simply login to your 1Password account on each device and all of the vaults you have access to are there automatically. The same goes for the family members you invite. And you can share additional vaults with any of those family remembers simply by granting them access to it. It will just show up in their account.

I think that covers your questions and the main points, but don't hesitate to ask any others you might have. Cheers! :)

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the explanation, it's the best I've gotten yet, I've gone ahead and signed up but as a result I've hit some pot holes in the road. The primary problem right now is vaults. On my mac and iOS device I have a primary vault mentioned that doesn't seem to be in the actual family vault and is not accessible if I login to the account online. I went through process of transferring but I guess it didn't complete or something. Is it possible to rename a vault once it's created?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sperry1975: You're very welcome! I'm sorry you've hit some pot holes while we're still building this road out to reach everyone, but we'll get you there. After all, that's what we're here for! :chuffed:

The "Primary" vault is a vestige of your "old life" before 1Password Families. Kidding! Well, it's true, but I'm being a bit silly about it to be honest. ;)

What is your Windows situation exactly? Are you going to need to access 1Password data on Windows 7 frequently? If so, would it be sufficient for you to use the web interface (https://[yourfamily].1password.com) to access your data there? If the answer to that last question is "No", you may want to keep your old "Primary" vault around to use there.

However, if and when you're comfortable going "all in" on 1Password Families, you can get rid of the "Primary" vault altogether. In that case, you'll want to make sure that you've migrated all of its data into 1Password Families, either in your "Personal" vault, the "Shared" vault, or another you've made specially. Currently the best way to do this is using 1Password for Mac:

Migrate to 1Password Families

1Password for iOS has the ability to move items between vaults, but only one at a time, so it isn't ideal for moving a lot of data. The 1Password for Windows 10 beta app also has this ability, but of course that isn't available yet on Windows 7 or 8.

However, let me come back around to the different vaults, since you'll need to consider where you want to put your data in order to migrate it. When you sign up for 1Password Families, you start off with two default vaults: "Personal" is accessible only to you, and each Family Member will have their own; "Shared", as you might expect, is a single vault accessible to every Family Member. You can also create additional vaults to either share with one or more Family Members, or to use by yourself.

I find that there isn't a ton of information I need to shared with the whole Family, and I have some vaults shared with specific Family Members instead. But the majority of my data goes into my Personal vault, since it's only useful for me in particular.

That brings me back to the Primary. I still have mine around because I use 1Password on some older Windows machines too, so having some common items (or those I specifically need there) in my Primary vault sync'd with Dropbox. For example, that lets me use the 1Password for Windows desktop app with the browser extensions on Windows 7. Otherwise, the vast majority of my data now resides in 1Password Families vaults, as I described above.

And to be clear, the "Primary" vault and other "local" (non-Families) vaults created in the past are completely separate from 1Password Families. Essentially, once you and I move to 1Password Families exclusively, the "Primary" vault's contents will probably be moved to our new "Personal" vaults. Currently 1Password for Mac can work like this if it's setup only with a 1Password Families account from the beginning — a "Families/Teams-only" mode. We've got this option in beta for iOS as well, with more to come.

I know it's a lot to digest, so be sure to let me know if there is anything you'd like me to clarify, and if you have any questions specific to getting things setup with your devices. :)

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks I got all data copied from primary to personal and in the process I made duplicates on both vaults by accident. Hundreds of duplicates. :( I won't need the Windows 7 version any time soon, so take your time developing that part.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sperry1975,

I’m so glad to see that Brenty has been helping you out here.

We might be able to help with those duplicates as well! It sounds to me like you may have copied all of your items from the primary vault into your 1Password Families vaults. If that’s the case, and you have one complete set of data in your primary vault, and one set in the other vault, you could just move all the items in the primary vault to the Trash.

If you’d rather do a more careful review of everything before deleting items, there’s also the Security Audit.

Security Audit

In 1Password for Mac, make sure you’re in the ‘All Vaults’ view and then check your Security Audit. (You may have to hover over the title to see the ‘Show’ option if you don’t regularly use the Security Audit.) The Duplicate Passwords option will show you all duplicate passwords. It’s a great way to ensure that all your passwords are unique, but it will also pretty quickly show you when you may have copied an item instead of moving it.

I hope this helps!

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thanks. The problem was that there were so many.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, no kidding! I did the same thing initially — on purpose, mind you, because I still needed some things in Dropbox but hadn't yet settled on exactly what. Did Megan's suggestion to switch to the Primary vault specifically to "isolate" only the logins there help? That way you're not confronted with the task of figuring out which copy was in which vault in All Vaults.

This discussion has been closed.