What do I do with the original vault after I have copied all my items to my Families Personal vault?

Options
ozarkcanoer
ozarkcanoer
Community Member

I've got a new 1Password Families account and I've copied all my items from my original 1Password Mac vault to my Personal vault in 1Password Families using the Mac application. My original 1Password vault was synchronized with my iPhone and iPad using Dropbox.

Everything seems ok in the new Families Personal vault on all my devices and via web login.

1. Can I just delete the old vault and does it automatically get removed from the 1Password folder in my Dropbox or do I have to do that myself?

2. Do I have to change the 1Password Preferences on Mac and iOS to stop synching or is that handled automatically when I delete the vault?

3. I couldn't find any documentation on the process after copy/move of items to the Families vault.

thanks,,
Larry

1Password Version: 6.2.1 (Mac)
Extension Version: 4.5.5 (Safari)
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox (old), Families (new)
Referrer: ug:mac/share-a-vault, ug:mac/preferences, kb-search:move from 1password to 1password for family, kb:teams-families-migrate, ug:mac/teams-families-setup

Comments

• Jacob
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hey @ozarkcanoer! Good questions. I'd be happy to answer them.

Can I just delete the old vault and does it automatically get removed from the 1Password folder in my Dropbox or do I have to do that myself?

Yep! First off, launch 1Password on your Mac and head to its Preferences, then click Sync, select the vault you'd like to remove, click the dropdown menu beside "Sync this vault with" and click None. Check the Delete data from Dropbox box and click Disable Sync. Once that's taken care of, you can remove the Primary vault entirely and go Families-only. Currently, the only way to activate Families-only mode is to reset your 1Password setup and sign in to your account from the start. We have a nice little tool to move your data automatically so you don't have to worry about backing it up manually (in case you have anything in there). You can download it here: http://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/jacob/Data-Reset-Utility-1Password-4-or-later.zip

Once you run that, launch 1Password and sign in to your Families account. Families-only mode will be enabled. :)

I couldn't find any documentation on the process after copy/move of items to the Families vault.

That's because we don't have any, actually. We're working on just building some better features in the app so you can migrate and remove the old vault easily. That will be in a coming update.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

thanks Penderworth.

I followed instructions through "Disable Sync" I changed to the Primary vault but 1P "Delete Vault" command is gray so I can't remove the Primary vault. Did I miss something? Note that the Primary vault in Dropbox/1Password did get deleted. Excellent. 1st use of 1Password on my iPhone informed me that 1Password.opvault was missing so iPhone only uses Families Personal vault now.

Since I have already copied all my Primary vault items to my new Families Personal vault, I assume there's no need to run 'Data Reset Utility ...', or does it do some other magic that should be done? No instructions with the utility.

Also note that I'm running 1P 6 but unzipping the download '...1Password-4-or-later.zip' results in 'Data Reset Utility for 1Password 5'? Just a naming issue?

• Jacob
    Options

@ozarkcanoer Don't worry, you're almost there. The Primary vault can't be deleted from within the app, as I mentioned above. Just use that data reset utility. :) I'm sorry for the name being wrong — that was my fault. It previously said 1Password 6, but nothing changed in where things were stored between 5 and 6 so I updated the name for that and missed one area. Feel free to use it though.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth

Being cautious - I should now run the Data reset utility and it will not do anything to my Familes Personal vault, but will empty the Primary vault I had been using and then remove it. I would expect that the next run of 1Password will only show my Familes Personal and Shared vaults.

The utility won't recopy/move the items from Primary -> Personal will it? That would entail a lot of work to rid the duplicates it would cause.

Thanks for helping me through this.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@penderworh

If the Data reset utility does copy items in Primary vault I can just delete them all before running Data Reset utility; just need to know ahead

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ozarkcanoer ,

Don’t worry, the data utility will not change anything inside your 1Password Families vaults. Basically, what we’re doing here is wiping 1Password’s memory so you can set it up as a new user. Because your 1Password Families vaults are attached to your 1Password account, you’ll see all of your data as soon as you sign in with your 1Password account.

I know it’s a bit of a wonky process right now, and our development team is working to make it possible to remove your primary vault without having to go through all of this. :)

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan @penderworth

All right. I've exported my Primary vault's items for backup. Then deleted all Items in Primary vault and emptied the Trash. Primary is empty now. I'll run the Data reset utility (exiting 1Password first), then run 1Password and provide my password. Will let you know the results.

So far I'm happy with what I can do with 1Password Families and my expectations for adding other family members in the future.

The one thing that I'd like to see, and have expressed earlier, is that a vault's Documents should be cached on a device so they can be accessed when there is no connectivity - otherwise I'll end up using Dropbox or a device local store to hold docs I might need at a hotel desk or airport or on the road. An option setting to do this would be fine.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ozarkcanoer,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I hope your reset goes smoothly, but we’re here if you hit any snags. :)

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@Megan @penderworth @bwoodruff

When should I get concerned?

Running Data reset now; it's been completely silent since I clicked on Continue. and is showing over 50min. of cpu time in Activity Monitor. What's a typical reset runtime if Primary is empty but have a bunch of Backup zips ?

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@Megan @bwoodruff @penderworth

Data Reset Utility for 1Password still running with 67 minutes of accumulated cpu time according to Activity Monitor.

Would like to know if I can safely kill the process? not much disk activity either (see attachment); and the cpu activity

Could not Quit the Utility so I Force Quit it.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan @penderworth

After Force Quitting the Data Reset Utility I started 1Password and entered my password. The old, now empty Primary Vault is still listed. I can access my Families Personal Vault. The only result after over 70 minutes of Cpu Time is that in the Application Support/1Password Backups folder for my login account are four 3.8MB zip files.

The Utility didn't do much or was baffled by my empty Primary.

Interested to hear from Agilebits about this.

• Jacob
    Options

@ozarkcanoer That's very very strange. It shouldn't get confused by an empty vault as folks have used it before and it's worked fine. Let's just put the utility aside, shall we? :) Our knowledge base article on starting over from scratch should get things going smoothly again. Could you give that a try please and let us know how it goes? I'm sorry for the trouble with the utility. I'll figure out what's happening there.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth
    I think that since my Primary vault is emptied I will leave things working as-is for now instead of doing the 'starting over from scratch' process. I can delete old backups manually.

Ok to continue in this fashion, at least for now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem! It doesn't make a difference, so long as you don't find it gets in your way. We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.