New to 1password, I have just joined a team -how do i create my personal vault

Options
aapcis
aapcis
Community Member

my husband accepted my invitation to join our 1password team - he is given a choice to create a vault or sign into teams. He has never used 1 password and is not very techy. How does he create his personal vault? select CREATE vault rather than SIGN INto TEAMS?

I have been helping him with his logins so have many we "share" that are really his - should I create a vault in TEAMS and share just with him and not other team members the passwords he needs for his accounts? I am concerned he will not understand how to move between his personal vault and a shared vault so am thinking I should just put these pw in his personal vault. What is easiest for a 77 yr old non techy compulsive guy :-) who just can't get his head around how a computer works?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: ? my wife uses drop box
Referrer: kb:teams-user-getting-started, kb-search:creating my personal vault, kb:teams-faq, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:teams-families-setup

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aapcis,

All very good questions so let's see if I can help.

The default settings of a 1Password Families account are everybody has access to the Shared vault and they have a Personal vault. Their Personal vault was created as soon as he accepted the invitation to join your "family" - he didn't have to explicitly do anything for it to be created.

In terms of setting up 1Password what you want to do is have him sign into his account rather than create a vault. What happens is once he supplies all the correct login credentials to sign into your Family account any vault he has access to is automatically added. So as soon as he signs in a Personal vault and the Shared vault will appear.

I would recommend a new vault and what you want to do is create it from within the admin section of the web interface. What you will do is you will create a new vault and you will have full access by default. You can then add your husband and this way only the two of you will have access to the contents of this vault - it won't be visible to any other family member which I believe is exactly what you want. Now let's say he's signed into 1Password and then you create the new vault, what does he have to do? The answer is nothing, the new vault will appear in his copy of 1Password immediately and without any user interaction required because the server tells the 1Password application "hey, here's a new vault this person has access to" and that's it. Similarly, if you removed access to the vault by way of the web interface it would disappear from his 1Password application.

One of the benefits of this subscription is one person can manage the vaults for others like this. So you can use a shared vault to help manage his items. Of course where does this leave us with coping with multiple vaults in 1Password where really you just want them to have to cope with a single vault?

Here the settings in General and All Vaults tabs of 1Password's preferences will help (that's 1Password as in the application on his computer). In the General tab you can tell 1Password to always open to the vault shared between the two of you and in the All Vaults tab you can say to use the same shared vault for all saving of new Login items and Password items when you generate a new password by way of the Password Generator. That will help 1Password appear as if there is only one vault where the reality is there still technically three, it's just we default to using a specific one each time. If he ever can't see his items it's possible he's changed vaults and what you can do is explain how to return to the "real" vault.

Does this help at all? What you want to do is very achievable in my mind so if I haven't explained anything in enough detail please do say and we'll address the areas you felt were too terse :smile:

• aapcis
    aapcis
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect - you've understood exactly - Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's excellent @aapcis :smile:

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.